Strymon Tap Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cacibi, Feb 16, 2012.

1. cacibi

cacibi Member

I am not a big tap tempo guy and really don't know much about it, so this may be a very dumb question - but:

One of the settings I do like is a dotted quarter note, which is the Wicked Game delay setting. I did have this subdivision on my Eventide Timefactor, but doesn't seem to be there on my Timeline. There is, however, a dotted 8th note settings.

Is it possible to get the dotted quarter by just using the dotted 8th and tapping in half time?

2. freaksho

freaksho Member

yeah, i think that should do it. dotted 8th means it's 50% longer than an 1/8 note. so the delay unit applies a factor of 1.5 to half the tapped beat (it assumes you are tapping 1/4 notes). or,

dot 1/8 = (1.5)(0.25/2) = 0.1875 beat (when 1/4 notes tapped)

but if you tap 1/2 notes then you get (1.5)(0.5/2) = 0.375 beat, which is the same as dot 1/4 = (1.5)(0.25) = 0.375 beat.

3. AJBoy238

AJBoy238 Member

:munch

4. TheGuacamoleXplosion

TheGuacamoleXplosion Member

Now if you replace the word "beat" by "bar", the formulas will actually make sense ;-)

5. cacibi

cacibi Member

Sorry, I mis-spoke...it's actually a quarter note triplet - but I assume the same solution would work (tapping half notes when set to 8th note triplets).

6. wesc

wesc Member

Well to put it simply, Yes it will work. I do this all the time. I just tap in half time or set the bpm to half of the song tempo.

7. freaksho

freaksho Member

oops. yeah, what he said.