Strymon Timeline bank changes

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by insch, Apr 24, 2016.

1. insch

insch Member

I am setting up MIDI bank changes from Ableton Live to trigger banks on my Timeline. The triggering is happening but it's not triggering the right banks. My understanding is that:
    • Preset 00A = MIDI Program Change #0
    • Preset 00B = MIDI Program Change #1
    • Preset 01A = MIDI Program Change #2
    • Preset 01B = MIDI Program Change #3
    • etc
    But when I set up the programme change to #1 on Ableton it triggers bank 64 on my Timeline. Have I missed something here?

Thanks.

2. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

Sounds like you doing a MIDI Bank Select and selecting Presets 128-199 on the Timeline.

From Timeline Manual:-
    Bank 64 is Preset 128, so seems like Ableton is sending a Midi Bank Select of 1. You need to get it to send MIDI Bank Select of 0.

3. insch

insch Member

Thanks. That makes sense but MIDI bank select is set to off in Ableton. Strange.

4. insch

insch Member

Found out that I need to set the bank change to 1 on Ableton to get back to the first banks on the Timeline. With no bank change on Ableton it jumps to bank 63 on the Timeline. Strange. Anyway, now I know.

5. He_Ma

He_Ma Member

This seems exactly right thread to ask my questions. I would like to use Voodoolab pedal switcher (PX8 which I'm thinking to buy) that has three presets for pedal combinations and each preset automatically sends MIDI PC command (preset one sends PC1, preset 2 sends PC2 and so on) I would like my Timeline to operate in that way that only preset 3 sends Midi command that is received as bank and preset change in Timeline. From reading the manuals I think that this can't be done? If I understood right the MIDI commands in timeline are global and can't be changed to receive midi message PC3 only while ignoring the PC1 and PC2. I'm totally beginner with MIDI systems so please let me know if I misunderstood something. I can live without MIDI control and probably will If this can't be done.

6. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

Sorry it's no clear to me what you're trying to do - what do you want the Timeline to do when presets other than #3 are selected? Bypass? If you're only using one preset on the Timeline, why not just leave it on that one setting and not use midi for it at all (and just bypass it fo the other presets)??

When using midi-controllable gear with controllers that have fixed messages, without adding other gear (e.g., an event processor) you may need to decide what you want the receiving gear to do for each preset, then save the desired patch into that number - for example, if you want a certain delay for preset 3, save that delay setting to the bank/patch on the Timeline that corresponds to PC3, and if you want it bypassed on PC1 an PC2, save a preset but in bypass mode (which I think you can do with the update firmware).

7. He_Ma

He_Ma Member

With other presets than 3 in Pedal switcher I would like my timeline not automatically change bank and preset and just continue using current active bank and preset in Timeline while I change Preset in Voodoolab. So What I would like to have is that only preset 3 in pedal switcher changes a preset in Timeline. But if this can't be done, I can live without this function, but it would have been nice addition.