Strymon Timeline conundrum: Worth it? How ambient on its own?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by the_rising, Apr 20, 2015.

1. the_rising

the_rising Silver Supporting Member

I know there's a million threads on this, but seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on the Timeline. Obviously its no small investment.

Just curious if/how it can replace the ambient stuff I can currently do with an M13.

Ex. Stacking a pitch vibrato into a lo-fi delay into a big reverb for a washy single note ambient/ethereal sound.

I know the Timeline doesn't have dedicated modulation and reverb, but are the delays tweak-able enough you can get similar results with the delays alone?

I pretty much use the M-series for delays but also occasionally reverb....but all the reverb is more for ambient stuff, washy tremelo picking, nearly entirely wet mixed shimmer, etc.

Considering the Timeline vs. DD20 + some other pedals (prob the DD7 I already have and a reverb or M9).

The Timeline is attractive due to the presets - I play 3-12 song sets and really like to have a preset/bank/scene for each song that has a specific delay need. The DD20 only has 4 presets where as the Timeline has 100 in banks of 2. I just occassionally need to use (or fake) reverb and some modulation.

2. Sparkfriction

Sparkfriction Member

it is just a delay with some extras. i prefer the Eventide Time Factor over it, but thats just me... check the manual, give the samples on the stryomon site a listen and decide. In Quality and Options it will beat the DD20.

3. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

Check out Factory Preset 12A - Think it was originally called 'Versatile' but in the preset list it's called 'Verby'

Pretty cool use of the Pattern machine to make quite a lush reverb sound.

See here:-

Plenty of depth to the Timeline, but if you want a distinct delay on top of that sound you will obviously need another delay!

4. Occam

Occam Member

I would personally recommend a separate delay and reverb. Ambient music without reverb is like saying you're a martial artist because you play Mortal Kombat :) . A Boss RV-3 or Hardwire Supernatural if you must have shimmer are great budget options and there are tons of great delays like the TC if you want versatility or the mini Moog if you want affordably awesome tone that'll realistically cover just about everything you'll likely need from a delay. I found the Timeline to be more hassle than convenient and it sounds good but not amazing.

5. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Get a reverb and a delay. Or an H9 and call it a day.

6. bschultzjames

bschultzjames Supporting Member

I use the verby patch all the time for ambient swells. I recently picked up an RV5 as a dedicated reverb pedal for when I'd like to stack a reverb for extra ambience.

7. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

I see the Timeline slowly losing ground to the H9. I own neither as I do not have a need for that many options, but both are extremely nice to own. I just can't justify dropping the cash for one pedal.

8. Occam

Occam Member

I love the H9 but you can't really run two things at once. There are some reverbs with delay but it's not quite the same and it'll be at the top end of this guy's budget.

9. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I think the TL can do ambient on its own.
    There's a lot inside this delay.
    But Ive added a HOF reverb which works really well with my TL.