Strymon Timeline Expression pedal issue?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Steve73, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Steve73

Steve73 Member

Hey guys,

Any one else having this issue? I am using a Moog expression pedal with my timeline, just on the Mix parameter. I am setting it up with Heel position as dry and Toe as fully wet. After I save it, and switch patches, the preset is now coming up as fully wet, until I move the expression pedal a bit and it registers wherever the expression pedal is at.

This is kind of a pain, to have to move the expression pedal to get the mix correct, especially on quick preset switches. The preset is coming up total wet and it is making me mess up parts of songs. Is anyone else having this issue or does your Timeline 'see' where the expression pedal is currently set and use that value rather than 'all wet' like mine. Thanks!!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  2. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Member

3. TheGuacamoleXplosion

TheGuacamoleXplosion Member

@rhoydotp: No, that thread rather discusses general "how do I get expression pedals to work with the Timeline" things IMHO ...

I have the same problem as Steve73: After I had figured out how to set up the Timeline with my Roland EV-5 (the key was not to move the pedal while in "EP SET"), I found out that I couldn't save my precise expression pedal position.

Like, I set up the EV-5 to sweep between heel:~ 20% wet and toe: ~ 50% mix. I saved the preset with the EV-5 in heel position. When I recalled the preset, audible mix was at 0%, which was completely out of the range that I had programmed.

However, I gotta install the Timeline firmware update now and check if that's still happending.

4. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Member

Oops ... Sorry about that. Hope the firmware actually fixed that issue

5. Steve73

Steve73 Member

No, I don't think the update is going to help as mine has the newest update installed. Maybe they can take a look at that for next update. I am going to send them an email on it.
    It looks like if the expression pedal is enabled on a patch that the preset defaults to either the Full Toe or full Heel setting for the patch. It should default to wherever the mix is when the patch is saved, just like when the expression pedal is not plugged in/engaged.

6. TheGuacamoleXplosion

Worse than that ... as described above, after saving it defaulted to the minimum setting for the controlled parameter (Mix), which was less than what I had set for either heel or toe ...

7. Steve73

Steve73 Member

Okay, I think I figured out what is going on in my particular case. The Timeline is registering a change to the knob/value even when you are in the EP set (Heel/Toe) parameter. So, when I turn the Mix knob all the way to the right for Total Wet when in the EP set parameter, it is changing the preset's normal Mix value as well.

As a workaround, I set the EP Toe and Heel values, save the preset and then go back into the preset and reset the Mix value to where I want it to be before I touch the expression pedal. I think if you are in the EP parameter setting, it shouldn't register a change to the mix setting of the preset. The knob should only register values for the expression pedal which you are setting. Maybe they can change that.

8. TheGuacamoleXplosion

You are almost right, Steve :)

I did some experimenting and found out: Other than the Line 6 devices that I'm used to (DL4, M9, M5), the Timeline saves an "expression pedal independent" setting for each expression-controlled parameter.

So here's what I did before:

1. On preset 1B, I set the Mix to 0% (assuming "next, I will assign the exp toe value, this will be slightly above 0%, so 0% is a good starting point)
    2. I went into the "EP Set" parameter, set heel to about 20% and toe to about 50%. Then left "EP Set"
    3. Now I moved the expression pedal. Worked fine. I ended somewhere between the 20% (toe) and the 50% (heel) mix setting
    4. I saved preset 1B.
    5. I switched to a different preset and back to 1B
    6. Now, what I heard, was 0% Mix. Why? Well, because "setting the Mix control to 0%" was the last manual edit to the Mix setting that I did before entering EP set mode and saving the preset :)
    So obviously, it's a classic "it's not a bug, it's a feature" situation. Strymon stores three values for each expression controlled parameter:

• The "default" value that will be active if the preset is recalled
    • The expression heel position value
    • The expression toe position value
    This is actually better than the Line6 behaviour for most uses: There, if I recall a expression controlled preset, it will check the current position of the expression pedal and adjust the parameters accordingly.

So, what you should do when setting up a preset to be expression controlled: FIRST go to "Exp Set" mode and set the knobs as desired for expression heel and toe positions. Then exit "Exp Set" mode on the Timeline. Then, by manually turning all knobs that are expression controlled now (instead of using the expression pedal), set up the default values that you want to come up on preset recall.