Strymon Timeline Limitations/Drawbacks/Issues

rhoydotp

This is not to bash the pedal, more of just a centralized location for people to look at.
Please, no trolling for those who doesn't own one or who does not care at all :beer

==> Strymon's FAQ: http://www.strymon.net/support/ (check this first)
==> Timeline Firmware Update v1.23: http://www.strymon.net/2012/02/01/timeline-firmware-update/

To the list (from various threads)
1. BPM is in increments of .10ths
2. Max time on dBucket is 800ms compared to Brigadier
3. no option for fast bank scrolling
4. Global Tap not assignable per-preset (*new*)

======== UPDATES and Fixes =========

*** Fixed on v1.14 firmware
1. BPM changes via knob does not honor the previous subdivision setting (defaults to quarter notes)
2. BPM readout not displayed while tapping after changing banks (post #228 or watch for more info http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UenozsZ6dbU)

*** Fixed on v1.23 firmware

1. Preset naming – Display an (optionally) scrolling 16 character preset name, or the bank number
2. Global Tap tempo – Keep the most recently tapped tempo across all of your presets
3. 5 second Spillover* – Once you’ve played for at least 5 seconds on a patch, the current sound will spill over when you change to a new patch
4. Tap averaging – Tap tempo now averages your taps to more easily zero in on the desired tempo. Some have better rhythm than others ;)
5. Kill dry – Mutes your dry signal for use in a parallel effects loop
6. Looper Undo to initial loop & Redo – Undo all overdubs and revert to the first recorded loop. Redo will bring back the recorded overdubs.
7. New dedicated MIDI CC for Bypass – Bypass or Engage TimeLine via MIDI regardless of which preset you are currently on
8. Also … new MIDI CCs for Looper Level, Looper Undo, Looper Redo, and Infinite Repeats
9. Loop transitions are now smoother
10. Ability to record 100% wet with the looper
11. Save to MIDI patch number – when a MIDI program change message is received during a save, the patch will automatically be saved to that location.
Some miscellaneous “under the hood” bugs were also addressed with this update.

Last edited:

DraggAmps

I don't know if this is a draw back, I think it's pretty understandable, but I guess there are certain ranges of speed within each tap divide, so if you're on a faster setting, for instance, you can't tap a slow tempo in, at least in certain settings. I'm still figuring this out, but basically, when I was in a very fast preset, I wasn't able to get to a more medium tempo. However, as I write this I realize that it was probably that the preset had a high tap divide, so the slower tempo I tapped in was divided and it came out as a still fast tempo.

MrMuzik

Midi specs show NO sysex capability, in other words its software cannot be updated. It is what it is.

_jt_

Yes. I thought Ethan said it could be updated over midi. Just because it isn't written in the specs doesn't mean it isn't in the device. I guess we will know for sure soon.

mcdes

Member of no importance
so just a question........ (hoping to get into the next batch)

if i dont set a tempo to the preset for instance..... and i change between presets, will the tempo stay the same when i change between delay presets??

or do i have to re-tap it in everytime i change presets

DraggAmps

so just a question........ (hoping to get into the next batch)

if i dont set a tempo to the preset for instance..... and i change between presets, will the tempo stay the same when i change between delay presets??

or do i have to re-tap it in everytime i change presets

Yes you have to re-tap it every time. This is what everyone means when they say "no global tap tempo". I think they probably did that on purpose, honestly. It takes no time to tap in a tempo and most people are doing it live to match the song anyway, so tapping it in for each new song is no problem. Chances are you'll reset your tempo more than once per song anyway. I think it was more important to make it so that the tempo you save in your preset remains the same. I think that's more of a 'feature' than having global tap would be, because a lot of people that use this delay will want a very precisely dialed in tempo for certain songs and would like it to be constant. Especially true of people in bands with samples or other electronic elements that force the band to go off a click track or follow a precise tempo. It's easier to have the presets match the tempo of you're keyboardists samples than it is to perfectly tap in that tempo and not have it drift eventually because it was a half a millisecond off.

I dunno, I think being able to save a very specific tempo is probably more important to you when you need it than the bummer of having to re-tap a tempo at the beginning of a new song is. Aside from home practicing, where it's convenient to go through different sounds and maintain a certain tempo, searching for the right sound for a given song/tempo, what is the benefit of global tap tempo?

rhoydotp

... what is the benefit of global tap tempo?

one use of having global tap tempo if you are changing presets on a certain part from quarters to dotted-8ths. i'm sure other people can come up with other reasons. though I agree with you that certain people needs the exact BPM setting due to samples/clicks but certain people need this functionality as well ... maybe a good work-around is an option for global or per-preset tempo on the GLOBALS menu

now, only if it's true that we can update ;)

Angle Loss

After having two of the DC Timelines, I got my Strymon today. For the pros, it is way better in size, look, layout, etc. But...the modulation is absolutely terrible versus the original. Why did they change it?!

The modulation (that is the chorus/vibrato available to the digital mode) sounds thin compared to the warm, lush chorus the DC had.

Another thing, on the Timefactor, you can dial up a digital patch, run the ms to 0, and use the modulation. On the DC, you had the specific modulation mode which essentially did the same thing. But the chorus on the lofi mode for the Strymon sounds so thin.

I just can't seem to wrap my mind around them thinking that this chorus sounds better! I have no idea why they would get rid of the warm lush chorus the DC had. To be clear, I'm not worried so much about using the pedal as a chorus, I am way more concerned about the modulated delays.

thesooze

(1) Another issue: Filter mode tweaking made me lose all my delay signal. Only dry signal passed through, even with mix and repeats up. Powering off and on fixed the issue. I've emailed Strymon, they replied they're looking into it.

(2) Also, there's GOT to be a way to round up/down to whole numbers on BPMs...!! When I'm tapping in a tempo below 100, it's giving me 10ths of a BPM value... which I'll never use. I just want 77, 78, 79... not 75.3 77.8 and so on. This makes tapping in an exact click-track BPM value nearly impossible.

nrvana8775

No global tempo is a real issue for me. I do live looping synced to a click track. All of my gear is midi synced, and never deviates from the original tempo.

If I want to switch from a reverse to a dotted 8th, keeping everything locked to the drum machine, that's not possible?

Ahhh, no bueno.

olejason

(2) Also, there's GOT to be a way to round up/down to whole numbers on BPMs...!! When I'm tapping in a tempo below 100, it's giving me 10ths of a BPM value... which I'll never use. I just want 77, 78, 79... not 75.3 77.8 and so on. This makes tapping in an exact click-track BPM value nearly impossible.

There should be an option to turn this on or off. Obviously, they set it up this way with the assumption that you'd be tapping against a human drummer... which could very likely fall between whole numbers. That said, 10th's of a bpm is pretty extreme.

ringemaster

No global tempo is a real issue for me. I do live looping synced to a click track. All of my gear is midi synced, and never deviates from the original tempo.

If I want to switch from a reverse to a dotted 8th, keeping everything locked to the drum machine, that's not possible?

Ahhh, no bueno.

It's not in the manual, but Strymon confirmed that the Timeline does support MIDI clock, so as long as that's what you're syncing to, then you should be fine. I just don't know how it will react if a preset changes in the middle of a song, so theoretically it will first load the tempo of the preset and then take a few clock ticks to sync to the MIDI clock.

Please post back when you find out how it responds.

ringemaster

one use of having global tap tempo if you are changing presets on a certain part from quarters to dotted-8ths. i'm sure other people can come up with other reasons. though I agree with you that certain people needs the exact BPM setting due to samples/clicks but certain people need this functionality as well ... maybe a good work-around is an option for global or per-preset tempo on the GLOBALS menu

now, only if it's true that we can update ;)

This is exactly what I would want. Global tap tempo is great if you're tapping in your tempos and/or the drummer isn't playing to a click. For times when the drummer is playing to a click and the tempo is set, it would be great to have the tempo recalled from the preset (since they could be setup ahead of time).

I like options. Give them to me :)

dk_ace

2 and 3 are deal killers for me. I'm glad I opened this thread, my GAS just vanished.

The other thing I had hoped to see was an expression input that would accept an external tap. I use an external tap for my axe-fx, and I had hoped to put a timeline in the loop and split the tap pedal to both of them.

The lack of global tempo makes me uninterested in it altogether though.

D

Trending Topics

Top Bottom