Strymon Timeline or El Capistan + Flint?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Twanger, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Twanger

Twanger Member

Which one would you choose?...the Timeline or the El Cap/Flint combo?...only have the cash and board space to go one way or the other.

FWIW I had the El Cap and I loved it, but the presets and extra sounds of the Timeline are alluring.

Thanks!

2. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

I have all three units on my board.
    IMO, it completely depends on your needs. What style of music do you play? What ground do you need to cover? Do you need presets? Etc.

For my current band, I use the ElCap+Flint for 90% of my ambient sounds and use the Timeline for 'specialty' sounds in which I have presets established (Ice and digital).

3. UrbanHymns

UrbanHymns Supporting Member

I used to own the El Cap. Loved it so much I bought a Timeline (sold the El Cap). Then I bought a Flint. If I were in your shoes, and short on cash, I'd get the Timeline. But that's assuming that a) you use delay a lot, and b) your amp has reverb and maybe even tremolo. My Princeton amp has great spring reverb and tremolo. So I could do without the Flint and I'd be okay.

Otherwise, if you just want some nice delay and reverb/tremolo, go with the El Cap. For me, I use delay a lot, and switch delay types / BPM each song. So the TL is more important to me. But if I were in a classic rock band where delay wasn't that important, I'd do the El Cap + Flint combo.

Again, it all goes back to what's most important to you.

4. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

I went through this about a year ago. I got rid of the El Cap and a BSR for the Timeline. I now have an El Cap and BSR again. The Timeline dTape setting can't compete with the El Cap. And I missed Strymon's stellar reverb algorithms.

5. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

Depends if you want a lot of delay sounds or if you want one type of delay sound along with reverb and tremolo.

Neither can really do what the other can. Timeline can do trem delay but it really wouldn't serve as a dedicated trem as its on the repeats only. Likewise you could get some verb sounds from the timeline but your not going to emulate a drippy spring

I had a Timeline and sold it after a day or two, Didn't care for it at all, yet I love my El Cap and the Flint is really good as well

Timeline wasn't a bad pedal, I just didn't like its digital delay, the multi tap could only have digital voicing, and I had no use for filter delay etc. So really for me it was just a $450 El Cap with a LCD display which nice, but lacking some dTape features which wasn't.

Went back to El Cap

6. jason41224

jason41224 Member

I had an el cap and loved it, but needed presets. Timeline was the answer. I also use a lot of the weird modes...filter and ice are mainstays. Dual and reverse are extremely musical, and I even reach for lo-fi or trem every once in a while.

In terms of simplicity though, el cap plus flint would be hard to beat

7. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

You can also do the favorite switch option on each of them for at least 1 other setting. Not quite a bank of presents, but, a favorite switch does go along way to making them a bit more versatile

8. Bullhonky Deluxe

Bullhonky Deluxe Member

El Cap/Flint combo w/ a favorite on the Cap, and a remote tap tempo on the Flint ... LOVE this setup

9. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

I got the favourite switch which allows me to switch between a subtle background delay and a more up front delay. As other have said, if you require many different delays that require precise dialling in then the timeline would be abetter choice, but for my needs the El Cap is more than fine

10. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

There is "best," just what works. As has been stated, if you do a lot of delay (or just LIKE delay), the Timeline. If you need a more straight-ahead setup, the El Cap/Flint.

11. RSRD

RSRD Member

These 2 responses really nail the different sides of the fence. I can totally understand both. I myself went el cap and verb pedal to the timeline and back to the el cap and verb. I do NOT need more then one preset. So I think those 2 quotes really nail the arguement.

12. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like I have a similar story to others. Got the El Cap....loved it...got the Timeline since "It must be better". It wasn't better - only more difficult to use and I didn't find I used the other models.. So - sold the Timeline...bought the El Cap again. Then got the Flint.

The two together cover a lot in a simple small package.

PS - I also made a double favorite switch to connect to them. Cost less than $20 in parts.

13. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

14. mrnick003

mrnick003 Member

I debated this for a while and eventually just went with the Timeline. It sounds fantastic and being able to store up to 200 presets (even though I only use about 20 haha) is a huge plus IMO. Plus all of the delay machines makes it extremely versatile.

It all depends on your situation though. If you want simplicity go with the El Cap and Flint. If you want a versatile pedal that can cover a lot of ground go with the Timeline

15. earwax

earwax Supporting Member

Timeline for sure. The Digital algorithm rocks. I wasn't sold on it at first when I was weenie myself off of the Timefactor but now this is my most used mode and I love it.

16. mojazzmo

mojazzmo Member

Man that's a killer looking axe. That's exactly what I've been thinking about for my next strat. What is it and what are all the specs?

Thanks.

17. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

I'd say that if you could only choose between those two and didn't already have a reverb the choice would be clear...El Cap + Flint. I'm a reverb junkie though, and lots of people love to play with no reverb ever which is pure craziness to me. If you're one of those guys (which I'm assuming you're not because you're asking about a reverb) then the Timeline would suit you better.

18. wilerty

wilerty Member

With the Timeline you can't adjust wow and flutter, which was a deal breaker for me. I don't play out, so the presets don't matter to me. I use an RV5 now, but will be getting a Flint shortly.

19. bigstar

bigstar Member

You can control wow and flutter on a Timeline with the Mod depth control.

20. Overdryve

Overdryve Member

El cap + flint.

I have a timeline and I mostly use dtape setting.