Strymon Timeline or Lexicon MX400 ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by photone, Feb 13, 2012.

1. photone

photone Member

I know that are two different "things" but I wonder to know IF the Lexicon MX400 is a good alternative to Strymon Timeline to "build" a ambient/textural kind of sound ?
    .. hmm, don't know what are the better "investment" :huh

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  2. jkokura

jkokura Member

Depends. Do you already run a rig or will this be a studio only sort of tool? If you're already in the studio all the time, the rack unit will likely be more powerful long term, however the Timeline itself is quite powerful. If you'll ever play out and not want to bring a rack rig, then the Timeline is a no brainer.

Jacob

3. photone

photone Member

.. I'm interested maybe more about sound quality (reliability) than portability and IF with the Lexicon MX400 can achieve some similar sounds to StrymonTimeline to "build" a good delay/reverbs based ambiental type of tone. At first look, the Lexicon MX400 offer more options for less money but how about the quality?
    ..anyway, the portability and "on stage" usability point of view may be important , so thank you :aok
    Or, if not Lexicon MX400, what other "thing" or combination of units can help me for same money of Timeline?:D

4. parkhill

parkhill Member

I own both. The MX400 is used in my pa system though. I did try it with my guitar rig once. I don't like it as much as the timeline and there are things it won't do that the timeline does. Of course it can do some things the timeline won't do. I didn't like that the Lexicon converts your entire signal to digital. This isn't a problem when you're using aux sends on a mixer. If you have a parallel loop on your amp it may be worth a shot. If your loop is a series loop, or if you are planning to run it into the front end of your amp, I would go with the Timeline. It sounds better at what it does and has a mix control with an analog dry path.