Strymon Timeline quarter note+ dotted 8th

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sjamesbrown, Feb 18, 2012.

1. sjamesbrown

sjamesbrown Member

Can someone please show me how to accomplish this setting using only the timeline? It Just came in and I'm a little overwhelmed :)

2. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Member

dual delay, set it to quarters, and then set delay 2 to 3/4 ratio. series or parallel is your preference

3. Jamar

Jamar Supporting Member

This is the only qualm I have with this spectacular pedal. The choice of using fractional subdivisions in the interface for the dual delay mode is very confusing to the average user.

4. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Member

it could be easier, but you'd lose a lot of flexibility

5. Jamar

Jamar Supporting Member

you speak truth.

that said, there is something to be said for an interface that can be easily understood. What good are all of those options if you can't understand how to dial them in?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  6. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

You know this has been one of the biggest complaints people have had of the Timeline (one of. not the only).

Honestly guitarists are sometimes an annoying bunch (I included myself in this, so I’m not making shots at anybody in particular); we bitch and moan we want flexibility and features. Then we bitch and moan that they are too complicated and/or now all these additional features are obviously effecting our awesome tone (that’s more aimed at amps critics who want features then bitch the added circuitry is taking away from their sweet, sweet crystal lattice’s and haunting mids).

Bottom line- RTFM. It's not complicated and Strymon put together a good manual. I mean seriously, we're talking fractions here. 4th grade level math.

You really want to be confused? - Try getting into synths and reading their manuals. Guitarists know nothing about confusing until they have tried to program a Frequency Modulated synth. Or how about a Wavetable Synth? How about one with the ability to route multiple envelopes to effect multiple destinations, included the effects, LFO, Filter envelope, etc? Envelopes modulating envelopes which then in turn affect the LFO being routed to 4 destinations? Just look at the last Virus synths manual. Then you will know confusing. That sh1t will give you a headache in about 5 minutes. It will make the Timeline look like a 2 knob OD pedal. I think there was less technical detail in sending a man to the moon. Compared to that stuff, the Timeline is a cakewalk to program (though I still really hate the way they implemented patches and banks with MIDI. Ugh).

Just saying, we can’t have the best of both worlds. You want features? Then it’s going to get complicated. You want simple? Then its more than likely going to be a one trick pony.

Schilling likes this.
  7. Jamar

Jamar Supporting Member

but I went to publik skool in the 80's.

I read the manual several times before I bought the pedal, and I read it often now that I have the pedal. The manual is pretty well done, but the time divisions part is confusing. I get why Strymon did it that way, but it's still confusing.

IE, What's a 3/4 subdivision when you're TAP DIV is set to a Dotted Eighth? It's not like most of us could answer that off the top of our head without pen and paper. I don't want the answer, I'm just proving my point.

Say your TAP DIV is on QUARTER then the following is what you set the 2nd delay time to:

Quarter Note plus Eighth Note delay = 1/2
    Quarter Note plus Dotted Eight delay = 3/4
    Quarter plus Quarter = 4/4

I get confused when dialing in the the 2nd delay time for a triplet 1/4 note or a triplet 1/8 note

a 1/4 note triplet is THREE notes over TWO beats.
    a 1/8 note triplets is THREE notes over ONE beat.

brain is hurting...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  8. critter74

:rotflmao

Well, as I mentioned in my post, I wasn't really trying to single you or your specific post out. But I can see how it came across that way. It was meant to be an observation on all of us guitarists in general. So my apologies if it came across that way. I could have posted a more neutral response.

9. critter74

See, I took it as its a division of the the TAPDIV. So for example, if TAPDIV is set to "Quarter" and the 2nd Repeats is set to "3/4" the second delay would delay be "3/16" as you would multiply the fraction of "1/4" and "3/4". You would then get a 2nd delay repeat every 3/16ths of a beat.

I could totally be wrong on this. This is how I took it in the manual and how it seems to fall on the beats to me. But again, I could be wrong and either making irt simpler or more complicated than it needs to be.

I, too, am a product of publik edukashon. California publik educashon at that. Even worse.

Yeah the triplet one is confusing to me too. The other I can figure out pretty quickly, for the most part. But the triplet division throws me. Honestly I just say screw it at that point and listen to see if it feels right.

10. Jamar

Jamar Supporting Member

No worries sir. :)

Ahh I gotcha. Your multiplication method makes perfect sense. I didn't think of that. The only trick is that the user needs to realize that a dotted eight delay is 3/16 of a quarter note. I guess you can tell just by listening.

TAP DIV on Quarter then:

1/1=Quarter
    1/2=Eighth
    3/4= Dotted Eighth (*corrected)

What gets me is the 2/3 delay time. I'll start playing in a different tempo that changes the subdivision to sound like what I believe is a quarter and dotted eighth.

Me too, man. If anyone can chime in that would be helpful:

If your TAP DIV is on Quarter:

? = Triplet Eighth
    ? = Triplet Quarter
    ? = Dotted Quarter

confused...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  11. Randingo

Randingo Member

Umm... a dotted 8th is 3/4 of a quarter note. It is, however, 3/16 of a whole note...

12. shuffle

shuffle Member

My question is how do you get a dotted eight sound in 3/4 timing? I cant get the 'where the streets have no name' delay and using quarter with 3/4 doesnt work..

13. Jamar

Jamar Supporting Member

yes. thanks for catching that. I wrote that wrong in my last post (I corrected it).

The delay on that tune isn't a quarter and dotted eighth delay. It's actually a dotted eighth (6/32 of a whole note) & 9/32 (of a whole note) delay.

dotted eighth (3/4 of a quarter note or 3/16 of a whole note)
    and 9/32 (of a whole note). I believe a 9/32 delay is equal to a quarter note plus a single 1/32. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

In theory, the easiest way to dial in the "Where the Streets Have No Name" delay on the Strymon Timeline, would be to go to the dual delay mode, set your TAP DIV to DOTTED EIGHTH, dial up a BPM of 129, set the 2nd delay time to 2/3 ratio, and have fun! (Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong). My pedalboard is in it's case. I'll try it out to confirm once I stop watching basketball.

**EDIT*** I tried this "Where the Streets..." delay setting from the above paragraph. It sounds good to me.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  14. Randingo

Randingo Member

A quarter note is a quarter note regardless of whether you're in 3/4 or 4/4, so the dotted eighth would work the same. The post above may address why "Streets" isn't working for you.

15. shuffle

shuffle Member

Thanks for the above... I have not had a chance to this yet but will try soon.

Cheers

16. shuffle

shuffle Member

If you were playing live and not to a click, how would you tap this in with the tap tempo button? Would you tap on every beat IE 1,2,3 which is quite fast tapping.... Or once on 1 of each bar? And what TAPDIV would you use? I am assuming dotted eight?

I'm confused how best to get it to work.
    Thanks a lot

17. Jamar

Jamar Supporting Member

"Where the Streets Have No Name" delay (a 6/32 & 9/32 delay - a 2/3 ratio) on the Strymon Timeline:

1. Set to Dual Delay Machine
    2. Set the TAP DIV to dotted eighth.
    3. Tap quarter notes with your foot into the tap tempo. (1, 2, 3 ,4...) or dial in a 129 BPM
    4. Set feedback knob to about 2-3 repeats
    5. Set mix knob to about 70%
    6. Set modulation speed knob to about 2 o'clock
    7. Set modulation depth knob to about 9-10 o'clock
    8. High Pass around 400-600 (to taste)
    9. Set grit knob to 0
    10. Set filter knob to 0
    11. Set the 2nd delay time to 2/3 ratio
    12. Set the 2nd delay feedback to 1 repeat
    13. Set the 2nd delay mix to about 50%
    14. Boom done.​

Consult this guy's page for more U2 delay info

18. Charlie_Pace

Charlie_Pace Member

Idk, my Timefactor makes it pretty simple.

19. shuffle

shuffle Member

Thank you very much!

20. Jamar

Jamar Supporting Member

Yup it's way easier to do on the Timefactor but the Timeline has more options for the dual delay.

So pick your poison :)