strymon timeline swell settings

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by popinvasion, Feb 26, 2012.

1. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

This is the one mode that has severely disappointed me.

I am stumped. I just cannot put together a setting that works properly.

Obviously I am a fan of the DL4 type swells. I have seen the vs videos.

Has anyone had any luck tweaking the swell on the timeline?

Thanks

2. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member

One thing you should know is that you have to hit the strings hard to get a swell and then you can pick light to hear individual notes ring out. I think this might be common knowledge but I didn't know and I kind of stumbled upon it.

3. popinvasion

yes I did notice you need a steady fast strum. Not very soft strum friendly.

4. Cosmogang

Cosmogang Member

I used it today. It's definitely NOT my favorite, but it does sound good if you get it "right." So I set the rise to .60, the grit VERY LOW (it whistles sometimes with even a small amount), the modulation set deep-ish but very slow. There are two things that take tweaking in my opinion. First, getting the delay time right. I don't want any obvious undulation caused by the repeats being too far apart, etc... Secondly, the modulation being such that it doesn't sound Rhythmic. So, once you get the sound right, it's about adapting to the technique required to successfully execute clean swells in succession. It is a little bit less natural than with the Auto-volume echo, but no less involved as a technique in and of itself. The main point is that the strings should not be vibrating when you hit the next chord. Well, at least in my experience. Hope this helps.

5. popinvasion

Ok rise at .60

I thought the rise needs to match your tempo?

6. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

I've definitely got a better feel for 'Swell' mode now, but like a couple of other things on the TL, I feel Strymon probably would've been better served by not trying to reinvent the wheel. My only real beef now is that there's no way to dial out the actual repeats in the swell. That's really annoying.

7. popinvasion

any settings? I hear you on the repeats.. I can get them to be low in the mix but still.. datdatdatdat

8. popinvasion

I wish there was a way to control the sensitivity. I mean seriously I have to pick notes hard and strum chords hard, Way harder than I am used to playing so for me it feels unnatural.

9. Cosmogang

Cosmogang Member

The threshold has never really been an issue for me, oddly. I just wish you could set the repeats to smear like the "Verby" setting on 12A.

10. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

reviving this thread to ask about the SWELL mode on the Timeline.
    has anyone else had any better luck with this?
    it would be great if i could do swells without my VP jr.

11. pepsiguy

pepsiguy Member

I know this is not a great answer but I picked up an M5 to add to my board mainly for the swell delay. It is much better than the Timeline at that function an has about a dozen other really cool fun filters and reverbs that made it worthwhile for me. It was also on sale here in Canada for $139 just after Christmas.

12. sunken.anchor

sunken.anchor Member

This has been the biggest thing to get used to for me as well. I normally use a fairly light touch, and in order to defeat the threshhold, I have to hit the strings harder than I do for 95% of the rest of my playing.

I do like the Swell mode for other things, such as creating a background ambience that sits behind what I am playing, but for volume swells, it is not my favorite.

13. voxylady

voxylady Member

I'm very heavy with my pick hand naturally, so the swell hasn't been too much trouble for me. before the TL I had the DL4 for years and still believe the auto to be the best swell out there, BUT I have dialed in my TL to get pretty dang close. I like lots of repeats because I use it for ambient stuff, so I think if you are realistic about the TL's limitations you can get great stuff out of it. If it's just not doing it for you, I'd suggest the M5, POG2, or VFE Bumblebee to get that specific sound.

14. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

I'm kind of hoping they add an option through a firmware update that adds the new Mobius swell functionality. It seems to be more developed.

15. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

I use the auto swell on timeline now with full dry mix. And the swell comes behind it like a wall of sound. If I use it like a full swell. It's so unnatural. So I use a volume pedal if I want proper swells.

16. geetarplayer

geetarplayer Member

The latest firmware update (1.33) fixes the swell. It really is a swell now. Try 4B.

17. fedor4tw

fedor4tw Member

Ya I really am not a fan of what strymon did on that one. I know it is different but I use the sweep echo in my m9. It has some awesome swell that are awesome when combined with reverb and fuzz. Vintage sounding is how I would put it.