Strymon Volante, talk me out of it?

KingsXJJ

This is my concept art for the El-Capistan Deluxe:

View attachment 595949

This would be my dream delay. Supposedly, this concept art and my high level technical wishlist have been forwarded to the Strymon Design team.

I agree with what many have said here: I like that the Volante controls are mostly up top. I really wish the El-Cap could be the same way, although that’s a minor gripe considering the breadth of tones available.
Here’s a mock-up I did of El Capistan Deluxe. The Strymon team actually built it. I kid, I kid!

Attachments

• A568C9C7-D265-42D7-A227-F1DC813AFEE0.jpeg
    A568C9C7-D265-42D7-A227-F1DC813AFEE0.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 32

Big Monk

Formerly EpiLP1985
Silver Supporting Member
Here’s a mock-up I did of El Capistan Deluxe. The Strymon team actually built it. I kid, I kid!

I hear you!

What I want is the Timeline Presets, Timeline Looper, El-Cap controls on Top and a more comprehensive boost section that frequency selection for various Preamp models.

Not too much to ask right?

Big Monk

Formerly EpiLP1985
Silver Supporting Member
Various preamp models is a great idea. El Capistaniridium.

My thought is this: Strymon is one of the best companies out there working with microprocessors to get tons of variations when trying to model specific hardware.

The El-Cap essentially has the capabilities to be a good Echoplex, Echorec, and Space Echo emulator. Add to that the ability it has to do very convincing BBD and Digital emulations and I think the way to accomplish what I’m thinking would be to have thier traditional boost/cut expanded to - 3 dB/6 dB and to have the Echoplex, Echorec, and Space Echo preamps modeled.

KingsXJJ

My thought is this: Strymon is one of the best companies out there working with microprocessors to get tons of variations when trying to model specific hardware.

The El-Cap essentially has the capabilities to be a good Echoplex, Echorec, and Space Echo emulator. Add to that the ability it has to do very convincing BBD and Digital emulations and I think the way to accomplish what I’m thinking would be to have thier traditional boost/cut expanded to - 3 dB/6 dB and to have the Echoplex, Echorec, and Space Echo preamps modeled.
I hope you sent that to them too…

Big Monk

Formerly EpiLP1985
Silver Supporting Member
I hope you sent that to them too…

I did. I sent the concept art and my idea for the preamps. I don’t think anything will ever come of it but if they did ever reach out I’d give them my full idea.

wei wei

I hear you!

What I want is the Timeline Presets, Timeline Looper, El-Cap controls on Top and a more comprehensive boost section that frequency selection for various Preamp models.

Not too much to ask right?
i would also request to put all those ideas in a box with the Midnight paint scheme. if Strymon made a Midnight Edition for the Volante, i would buy it right away.

Dwag87

Silver Supporting Member
i would also request to put all those ideas in a box with the Midnight paint scheme. if Strymon made a Midnight Edition for the Volante, i would buy it right away.
I don't understand the appeal to midnight schemed pedals. I like black pedals too, like the Flint, but the writing is in white and so are the OG knobs. How does anyone see the pedal playing live?

wei wei

I don't understand the appeal to midnight schemed pedals. I like black pedals too, like the Flint, but the writing is in white and so are the OG knobs. How does anyone see the pedal playing live?
the writing on all the Strymon Midnight versions is white as well. i've seen some other pedals(non Strymon) offered in the "Blackout" paint scheme where the print is also in black. now those would be hard to see.

Liarparadox

Oh it's happening. It's the only reason I haven't bought a Volante yet; I'm waiting for the Midnight edition.

Danzego

Oh it's happening. It's the only reason I haven't bought a Volante yet; I'm waiting for the Midnight edition.

If Strymon makes a midnight edition of the Volante, I would be proud that I have the original version. The pedal exactly how it was intended to be.

Yeah, that’s what I would tell myself anyway, while I sit there with my Volante envy every time I see a picture of the midnight edition one. :worried

Mango Positive

Gold Supporting Member
The board needs color. It helps you see the correct switch to press. I love yellow. I think it's a side effect of loving both blue and green. I am glad I went with the car that wasn't this color though.

I got my Volante on Wednesday. I'm over the moon with it. My journey has been (in recent memory) Echo Park > Time Line > Kemper and no pedals (delays are pretty good, if we're honest) > realizing that pedals are better > UA Starlight > FTT Future Factory > FTT Future Factory + Volante. God, when you turn them both on and synch the tempo... Splendor. I love having a robust Tape sim AND a modulated digital delay.

KingsXJJ

The board needs color. It helps you see the correct switch to press. I love yellow. I think it's a side effect of loving both blue and green. I am glad I went with the car that wasn't this color though.

I got my Volante on Wednesday. I'm over the moon with it. My journey has been (in recent memory) Echo Park > Time Line > Kemper and no pedals (delays are pretty good, if we're honest) > realizing that pedals are better > UA Starlight > FTT Future Factory > FTT Future Factory + Volante. God, when you turn them both on and synch the tempo... Splendor. I love having a robust Tape sim AND a modulated digital delay.
I think of it as being like a MOPAR color. The Volante being the Hemi of delays. I like it.

Dwag87

Silver Supporting Member
the writing on all the Strymon Midnight versions is white as well. i've seen some other pedals(non Strymon) offered in the "Blackout" paint scheme where the print is also in black. now those would be hard to see.
Ah, the "blackout" colorway is what I was thinking of. My bad!

cloudnine

The Volante does not have any facility to sync to a MIDI clock in looping mode, which is its achilles heel.

KreepyTeach

So, I haven't bought a new delay since the Nemesis, which is primarily used for specific delays on certain songs. No matter what, I always come back to the El Cap and Catalinbread Echorec. I just love them both. The El Cap is very easy to adjust live, and I really love the Echorec for the modulation and how washed out it sounds and feels.

I know people here aren't keen on the Echorec as much anymore (from what I read) but I don't care, I still love it. I've had the Boonar and to be honest, actually hated it and almost immediately sold it.

Anyway, I've been eyeing a Volante just for something new to play with. This is probably just going to go on a mini board. I most likely won't use a lot of the features, like the looper. However, I do like the preset options, even for just the main delay and fav switch. I know there's an option for more but I'll never have that many presets.

To my question... Would you buy another El Cap and Echorec or just try out the Volante?
I only bought a Volante, because I wanted s good tape delay with tap tempo. If the new Boss RE-2 compact stomp would have come to us a year earlier I would have got that instead.

That being said I love my Volantes sound on sound as an additional looper in another location than the other looper I have, but don't use any midi features. I've been thinking about selling it because they hold value. I want something new, but only because if I really miss it I can get it again!

Baritube

I was seriously considering buying the Volante, but now I'm leaning more towards the Echosystem. I love the Volante sounds - they really nailed some beautiful tones with a great physical interface (those head controls! perfect!). But the stereo-mapping part of it is sort of what is holding me back. Summing to mono before the internal stereo spread works against my stereo spread coming from pedals earlier in the chain.
And I do love the SOS looper, but it also goes to mono. The Empress Echosystem might not have the same exact tape sounds, but it does stereo exceedingly well, from what I can gather.

CaptainAwesome

It definitely is a stupid username
I've had mine for 8 months and I think it's great. I wouldn't buy it if you need to maintain a stereo-in signal for recording purposes...jamming for fun, it has enough stereo spread for me to forget this limitation. I also wouldn't buy it if you like to buy new delay pedals all the time or if you want 100 presets in a single delay.

Abandoned

Worship Guitarist
Silver Supporting Member
It will hog your board, cuz it's BiG. It can be finicky if your not using the original power supply. I wish it came in different colors, cuz that gold is kinda ugly.
You really need to be in command of your instrument (Guitar) Because the Volante can hog some of your attention. If your not using the thing in Stereo, Your missing out on the best part of the pedal.
Can you clarify the “finicky” / power supply statement with more details?

msquared

Platinum Supporting Member
I was seriously considering buying the Volante, but now I'm leaning more towards the Echosystem. I love the Volante sounds - they really nailed some beautiful tones with a great physical interface (those head controls! perfect!). But the stereo-mapping part of it is sort of what is holding me back. Summing to mono before the internal stereo spread works against my stereo spread coming from pedals earlier in the chain.
And I do love the SOS looper, but it also goes to mono. The Empress Echosystem might not have the same exact tape sounds, but it does stereo exceedingly well, from what I can gather.
I had the Volante for a while. I spent a lot of time digging way deep with it and felt like I pushed it as hard as I could. Ultimately I determined I could be happy with it as my only delay for the rest of my life.

Then I traded it for an Echosystem, mostly because I hang out here and someone mentioned something the Volante wouldn't do that I didn't need but the whole thing sounded interesting. I figured that if the Echosystem wasn't my cup of tea I could easily sell it and get another Volante.

I don't even remember when that trade was but I've never looked back from the Echosystem. It does everything the Volante does and sounds close enough that the differences between the two are probably more representative of the differences between two different pieces of the hardware they're emulating than any difference in quality. All of the things you mention are great reasons to pick the ES over the Volante and of course the whole slew of other engines and the ability to run two engines simultaneously makes it head and shoulders over the Volante.

Would I buy another Volante if I could justify it? Absolutely. In a hot second. The UI for what it does is superior to the ES's and if you're not using MIDI in your rig (which I am), the Volante's workflow is better if you're not finicky about the stuff you mentioned. If I didn't use the Deco on my small board for delay stuff I'd probably at least gotten an El Cap to replace it (but the Deco is maybe my favorite pedal ever).

Should the OP buy a Volante? Yes, of course they should.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom