Strymon Volante vs Boss RE-202 Space Echo

Chris Vee

Hello all,

I really interested in both of these Echo pedals. I’m going by the videos i have watched (hope to demo this weekend maybe). Both sounded great, but the Volante sounded bigger with more “space” around the notes. But i *think* i hear more modulation as well. Is that true? can it still sound as big without modulation?

The Boss RE-202 sounds great in that it keeps your tone intact… until you introduce modulation and aging and so on. But even without that stuff dialled in, it sounds great.

I have owned 2 Strymon pedals but sold them both as there was always something it did to the tone that i did not like. I’m not sure if I’d say it sounded “digital”, but there was something.

Any owners here that can comment? What have you found with your Volante related to my comments? Has anyone here compared to 2 units themselves?

GreenKnight18

I only own the RE-202. I have watched & read comparisons of those two pedals and the impression that I have is for a "pure tape delay emulator" pedal the Volante has a bit more to offer. The RE-202 is really great as an enhanced 201, and as I really like 201 sounds, that pedal is great for my tastes-- but I can fully get why a 'neutral' might go for the Volante.

Danzego

Hello all,

I really interested in both of these Echo pedals. I’m going by the videos i have watched (hope to demo this weekend maybe). Both sounded great, but the Volante sounded bigger with more “space” around the notes. But i *think* i hear more modulation as well. Is that true? can it still sound as big without modulation?

The Boss RE-202 sounds great in that it keeps your tone intact… until you introduce modulation and aging and so on. But even without that stuff dialled in, it sounds great.

I have owned 2 Strymon pedals but sold them both as there was always something it did to the tone that i did not like. I’m not sure if I’d say it sounded “digital”, but there was something.

Any owners here that can comment? What have you found with your Volante related to my comments? Has anyone here compared to 2 units themselves?

I think your assessment of the Volante is a good way to put it. It does sound bigger and more spacious with a lot more modulation; almost like a delay with a chorus compared to the 202. With that said, I personally prefer the 202 between these two pedals. There’s something about the tone and character of the repeats that I love which the Volante doesn’t really do. Though if I was going after something more big and ambient, the Volante would be the one I would reach for.

Basically, they both can do the same basic thing, but they do have different characteristics in doing so. It comes down to what you need and want. If you have any other questions about them, feel free to ask!

Chris Vee

Loks like I’m going to have to try them both. Honestly both sounds incredible in the demos… i need to figure out witch one suits me better. I like the bigger sound but not so much chorus / modulation.

Testing them out should be fun :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom