Strymon Volante! (was Strymon announcement on Jan 10)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DaveNJ, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Buddy67

Buddy67 Member

Don't you need a midi controller for the RKM too? I'm not very savvy in that regard.
    For me, the little details of the Volante, especially the analog saturation where all the other mega delays just use code, make it more musically desirable for me. It goes deeper into one type of sound rather than wider like the others, but with as much playability. Honestly I was expecting it to be a hundred bucks more when I first saw it.

2. adolan

adolan Member

Damn, thats a pretty crazy story, poor guy, I have a few friends lost out on their hobbies/stuff that way along the way, and its a real bummer when that wife leaves them and they are like ARRGH wheres my STUFFFF!!@#@

I think they did a great job with the look of that pedal. Its Future retro, kinda in a Dr Who style that Binson looked kooky futurist and the Echolette as well, esp the cat/magic eye lamp, thats some straight up cool. The way the paint has aged (prolly lead based :O ) on my Echolette is great, but they do make a lil noise, so its not quiet time late night low volume type delay but man it really does sound amazing, its its own thing completely, some swear its the preamp/tubes etc that adds to it. I would say it def has a very warm and magical sci fi movie vibe sound to it, I never really felt slap back echo until I played the Echolette then I was like ahhh this is something way different than the pedal idea...im sure the Binsons are amazing as well I never have seen one in person yet. I would love to check out a real one.

urQuill likes this.
  3. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

You're correct on the RKM - edited my response after realizing that it's not the operative example for my point.

Not trying to dissuade you at all. Just mentioning why I can't get excited on this one.

hippieboy likes this.
  4. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

Only $40 more than the BED....

I’m intrigued.

5. Buddy67

Buddy67 Member

Yes. Cheaper than the Moog expression pedal I was going to get for the BED. I suspect it won't sound quite as magical, but with the extra delay time, multihead options, and all the other perks, it might come out even.

rollyfoster likes this.
  6. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Thanks for removing the trolly post I replied to but not my non-trolling reply. Good modding there!

NHBluesMan likes this.
  7. R.C.Moran

R.C.Moran Silver Supporting Member

I'm not sure if that's a fair comparison because they are kind of apples and oranges. At the end of the day, it may or may not have better tape/drum tones than the Nemesis, the Nemesis has a wider berth of sounds for sure, but the reason I pre-ordered the Volante (and while I love Strymon's DIG) is the amount of parameter control I get in a simple package. The Nemesis is a good delay, but you have to use software to get the most out of it, or to make it do the things the Volante does, while the Volante has it all on the panel. For many folks, myself included, that makes it quite a bit more functional, and functionality can be a huge positive influence over the creative process.

Off that subject, the new double wide pedal format for the Volante makes me wonder what else might be coming down the pipes, maybe a DIG "deluxe," or a nice dual modulation box.

8. urQuill

urQuill Member

The controls (including the footswitches) seem really great. We need to find out more about the SOS and looping.

Silver, Creepwood and Srellim1 like this.
  9. Srellim1

Srellim1 Member

I would love to see another short video focusing on the sound on sound and looping functions. They definitely moved through that a little bit to quickly in the existing demos.

10. Tootone

Tootone Member

It strikes me some folk are totally missing the point of the Volante, the whole raison d'etre.

It clearly is conceived to replicate multi head magnetic media "echo" machines of the late 50's through the 70's.

That's why they made it, and the "multi-head" aspect particularly, is why people would want it.

This isn't just another "mega delay"... it's targeted very specifically at those who want the "multihead" sound, which incidentally, mega delays cannot do, except in a very limited regard.

If all you need is a little "tape style echo" on your sound, then go buy a basic delay unit, like the Flashback.

On the other hand, if you've always wanted to get that Gilmour sound, or Hank Marvin, or 60s/70s era hard and psychadelic rock... then you probably already know what an Echorec is, and are already over the moon that Strymon have developed this. Like me.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  11. urQuill

urQuill Member

Well, yes, and it’s beautiful, what it seems like it’s doing. You are right! I am sure many agree! But SOS was a part of that scene, and those machines, too, some of them ... and the looper functionality looks really promising ... like that might be a good looper, maybe. Just want to know more.

I have a Boonar and love it, but I find it frustrating to use if it’s not on a table or a music stand ir otherwise up off the floor where I can get at it

12. earwax

earwax Member

I would have jumped a lot more for DIG deluxe then the Volante so hopefully that happens!

Meriphew and R.C.Moran like this.
  13. Tri Pedal Reviews

Tri Pedal Reviews Member

I'd also love a DIG deluxe, but I'll hop on both :D

Meriphew and earwax like this.
  14. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

After watching all the videos, it sounds nice but doesn't replace El Cap for me.

15. pup tentacle

pup tentacle Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Is there an audio comparison with a Binson, Echoplex, or Space yet?

16. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

Listen to anything from The Appleseed Cast

sunken.anchor and infiniteposse like this.
  17. shoepedals

shoepedals Vendor

If you don't mind it being on vocals rather than guitar, I use a multi-head Dynacord Echord (a real tube tape echo with 3 playback heads) on this song, and have found it super awesome for vocals in general.

I use multi-head sounds maybe a little differently, myself. I don't really use them so much on percussive parts but find them really great as an effect somewhere between reverb and echo for more legato/non-percussive parts such as vocals, leads, and synth lines. You don't have to use them rhythmically. You can use them to add a really nice ambiance to longer notes as well.

18. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Bingo, well said.

NHBluesMan and Pwurso like this.
  19. Blue Bee

Blue Bee Member

Wow I loved that! Sounds GREAT all around. Did any of the instruments have the echo treatment?

Is there a full album I could hear?

20. radiophonic

radiophonic Member

Early days. Once the review crew have it we'll get more of an idea. I can't afford it right now but I can already see how I might use it.