Strymon Volante! (was Strymon announcement on Jan 10)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DaveNJ, Jan 2, 2019.

1. tochiro

tochiro Member

It does not work like that at all. For instance the VAT is what you pay but not what Thomann pay.

2. woolyh

woolyh Member

I don't understand. You can't not pay VAT so how can Thomann offer it cheaper?

3. CrashC317

CrashC317 Member

So it's a Nemesis on the Binson/Tape engine with more knobs and buttons and an extra switch. Got it.

I got my Nemesis for $210 shipped brand new.

I feel like if I were still deciding, I'd probably go with the Nemesis. It does so much more for half the price and half the size. And that's before you plug your phone app into it, when it really opens up infinite possibilities. Especially when I can just snag a preset some other Nemesis user uploaded.

4. Buddy67

Buddy67 Member

Except its not like the Deco at all: the saturation only affects the delay line, not the dry signal like Deco's left side, and the delay time only goes down to 25ms, which isn't nearly short enough to do flanger and chorus effects like the Deco's right side.

5. Fuzzr

Fuzzr Supporting Member

What did you not like about the Volante when you had it? When you A/B’d them was there a huge difference?

6. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I understand that's how they're advertising it, but being that it's just digital emulations, I wonder how close you could actually get?

7. tobereleased

tobereleased Member

To me, the volante beats the nemesis *significantly* on interface. For the styles of delays it is focused on, the volante UI is much more inviting and offers better on-the-fly tweakability. For those of us that value a UI focused on allowing all the editing to be done on the pedal itself, the volante will be much more appealing.

While I liked the sounds I've heard in the demos so far, the new UI is the most exciting thing about the volante for me.

8. Srellim1

Srellim1 Member

@strymon Is this true with respect to the saturation? I feel as though I’ve read conflicting information about this. I am also curious about how close studio mode actually gets to the Deco and if it is potentially close enough that the Deco would become redundant. I pre ordered yesterday, so I suppose I’ll find out soon enough.

Creepwood and scolfax like this.
  9. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

So I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a BED. Aside from the 5 extra programs on the BED, does this do everything that does?

10. Buddy67

Buddy67 Member

Except its not like the Deco at all: the saturation only affects the delay line, not the dry signal like Deco's left side, and the delay time only goes down to 25ms, which isn't nearly short enough to do flanger and chorus effects like the Deco's right side.
    Watch Pete's intro video- when he maxes the saturation, the repeats get dirty but the dry signal stays clean.

Abram4235 and Srellim1 like this.
  11. Buddy67

Buddy67 Member

This is very likely going to replace my BED, but only because of the extended delay time. The extra heads and functionality are just icing for me. The appeal of the BED is that it doesn't so much emulate a tape delay as reproduce the exact analog circuitry. It sounds amazing. I'm hoping that the Volante gets close enough, which the preamp saturation may just allow.
    Edit: when I say 'replace' I mean for regular use. I have a 'Howard era' BED that I'll never sell.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Srellim1 and scolfax like this.
  12. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

I’d you didn’t have the El Cap would you pull the trigger?

13. Srellim1

Srellim1 Member

WatchPete's intro video- when he maxes the saturation, the repeats get dirty but the dry signal stays clean.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate the response and what you are saying makes sense, however, in the ‘Video Tour’ (right around the 7.5 minute mark) he states that it affects both the analog dry and the wet signal. It does appear to boost the dry while saturating the repeats. I may be mistaken and simply projecting my hopes onto it.

Creepwood likes this.
  14. Buddy67

Buddy67 Member

I appreciate the response and what you are saying makes sense, however, in the ‘Video Tour’ (right around the 7.5 minute mark) he states that it affects both the analog dry and the wet signal. It does appear to boost the dry while saturating the repeats. I may be mistaken and simply projecting my hopes onto it.[/QUOTE]
    He doesn't say analog 'dry', he says an analog circuit which feeds the signal getting processed.
    I could be wrong, but someone else verified this earlier in the thread, and I honestly only hear the repeats getting boosted.

Srellim1 likes this.
  15. oansun

oansun Member

Not for me, analog dry signal. I had a nemesis and i honestly couldn’t deal with the tone hamper. If people don’t notice a difference, that’s cool, people have ears tuned for different things. And the “Echorec” sounds didn’t do it for me

We can all play the game of assigning value

RockDebris and xcc like this.
  16. Srellim1

Srellim1 Member

He doesn't say analog 'dry', he says an analog circuit which feeds the signal getting processed.
    I could be wrong, but someone else verified this earlier in the thread, and I honestly only hear the repeats getting boosted.[/QUOTE]
    Fair enough. What you are suggesting also makes good sense if it is an accurate reproduction of the ‘record head’ level. I think that many of us may hope that it will incorporate a preamp similar to an EP3 or Space Echo.

17. shoepedals

shoepedals Vendor

Thanks! This is the first track from my current project. No full album, yet, but I am hoping in a few months I can release something of EP length on the way to a whole album.

As far as the echo treatment goes, the rest of the instruments use a mix of pedals but not the tape echo (I recorded a lot of them before I got the real tape echo, actually). The guitars at the beginning are a mix of El Capistan in a single head mode and a Catalinbread Adineko, so that one actually is a 2 head delay sound.

Towards the end, the louder shoegaze type guitars and leads are done with the reverse reverb mode on a Source Audio Ventris.

There are also some ambient sounds that are performed on the Timeline swell mode.

18. XeMeme

XeMeme Silver Supporting Member

I've been eyeing the Boonar for awhile (after playing one owned by @wrightdude ). The big drawback was the lack of tap tempo, but aside from that, it was unreal (and very pedal board friendly - surprisingly small).

Now seeing the Volante, I'm intrigued. I see quite a few similarities.

I'm going to have to keep an eye on this.

morgan918 likes this.
  19. CrashC317

CrashC317 Member

That's fair. We all have different ears. I have mine in a loop into a Kemper and can't tell a difference with it in the loop or not. Also couldn't hear a difference with it in a regular mechanical loop switcher.

So what I'm gathering is it's for:
    • Those who want a unit that focuses on tape/binson
    • Those who want more knobs/buttons
    • Those who think all of the above is worth twice the cost, twice the size, and 1/10th of the available engines
    • The < 1% who'd pass a blind AB test of digital vs analog dry on a Nemesis, but don't hear the Strymon digital sheen
    That's fine by me. I'm always glad to see more stuff out there. It makes everyone else step their game up. The UI/knobs/button issue is the main thing I've been suggesting to SA for months. I get a lot of push back from the SA power users, but this thread is just more evidence to support that.

I recognize we only have the one demo video to go by, but let's be honest -- the demo is enough to make a safe bet that IF it sounds better than the Nemesis or Echorec the percentage of people who will ever notice a difference is tiny. And that's a big if. I don't hear anything in the demo to indicate it does sound noticeably better.

20. moore_for_less

moore_for_less Member

Home, home again… I like to be here when I can…
    Agreed. I guess my post doesn’t make sense without my back story. I used to have whatever sounded good, regardless of analog or digital. I’ve since limited myself to analog because I found I was getting too distracted by what my effects could do (mostly digital at the time) and not spending enough time actually playing. I was playing my pedals instead of my guitar… Which isn’t a bad thing for those who can master the balance, but for me I felt I was losing the raw connection with my playing.

I may get back into digital in the future, and this will be one of the first items on my list to check out. I like that, even with all the options, it’s not complicated or over saturated. It has what it needs, and it all makes sense. This is an amazing delay with a really good feature set and a well thought out UI. I’m extremely intrigued.

Abram4235, scheffer and scolfax like this.