Strymon Volante!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DaveNJ, Jan 2, 2019.

1. saintjohn89

saintjohn89 Supporting Member

The board has been finalized! The Volante has quickly replaced essentially all time based effects for me. Love this thing and love how it opens up even more with the simplest midi controller.

[​IMG]

2. tochiro

tochiro Member

Nice! How do you use your midi controller with it?

3. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I use my Volante primarily at line level on synths. It’s really something else. It’s probably my favorite digital delay pedal ever made, and I’ve had quite a few.

4. saintjohn89

saintjohn89 Supporting Member

I use it to create and scroll through presets in groupings that work for my songs/set. I also have some utility functions set up to give me quick access to a few looper functions.

infiniteposse, tochiro and Squatch57 like this.
  5. Norrin Radd 1966

Norrin Radd 1966 Member

Not sure what to tell you. I followed these instructions and it worked perfectly. It sounds like you're looking for the spillover effect. Make sure to follow the instructions at the top of the page first!

Also, not sure if related, but there is a software update available for the Volante as well. Maybe that will help too?

[​IMG]

mmmaslowski and John Price like this.
  6. Dashface

Dashface Member

I’ve had an hour or so with it so far and I can dig it.

I was really looking for the Binson sounds (for my Floyd act, naturally) but what has struck me the most so far is the tape mode... I have never ever heard a tape delay sound so much like my old EP-3 before.

saltbird, PurpleJesus and Pwurso like this.
  7. Purefire9

Purefire9 Member

does anyone have a photo of the innards of the multiswitch plus?

schematic would be first prize but that's probably not available anywhere.

8. Buddy67

Buddy67 Member

Yes you can create a loop with chord progressions (up to 64 seconds) and either lock to play over without adding to it with no degradation or else keep overdubbing with degradation. The looper is independent of and after the delay circuit so you can have delays on if desired.

thesooze, urQuill and John Price like this.
  9. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

Awesome!

I’m starting to think about replacing my BED with this. The one thing I’d really miss is the oscillation switch and scrubbing the delay time with an expression pedal. Can the Volante do that via a preset or anything?

10. Junta

Junta Member

STEREO APPLICATON - What exactly is Volante up to? :dunno

Before I get skinned alive: I am absolutely in love with the Volante :) and it is just superb sounding! I am just curious about a niche-issue... o_O And I fully admit - I have to read up on how stereo multi-head delays work in principle, like the coveted stereo Binson-Echorec...:rolleyes: to understand the basics...

I placed Volante on my stereo-in/stereo out 'effects-loop-board' (in the loops of my right and left channel amps), exactly where I used to have my TC Triple Flasback. So I am familiar with multi-head delay combinations (parallel and in series) in my system. :aok

Here is what is puzzling me - the Volante is messing up my effects loop volume balances, and amp volume balances big time! :confused:

If I have one amp in the dirty channel, and the other in clean, the stereo imaging turns out differently with the Volante vs the Triple Flashback. Why do I want to set up my right and left channels differently like that? I don't, I am setting the channels differently to try to understand what is going on. This is how the two delays behave:

Triple Flashback: E
    verything from one channel dirty and the other one clean, or at least, that is what I am hearing.

Volante: On many of the 8 factory presets, and some manual settings I enter (without messing with assigning heads to right or left) this is what happens: if my right channel is dirty, the repeats that come out of the left channel are dirty too! OK, this is not a problem, because I would normally set both amps dirty at the same time anyway. Here is where it becomes a problem - the Volante throws the volume balance of the repeats way off! I am not sure how this is happening... At exactly the same settings across the whole rig, if I take the Volante out and put the Triple Flashback back in (both are being used stereo in/stereo out) the repeats volume balance is restored between left and right. I put the Volante back in and the repeats' volume levels are way off again - to a serious degree...

How is this possible?

For now I am able to counter this by using my Empress Stereo Buffer Plus and relying on its 0db/-6db/-12db options for the volume levels of my two effects loops.

I realize I am in the absolute minority among stereo rig users with my overly complex stereo-in/stereo out in two amps' effects loop set up, all in the name of tube amp overdrive puritanism... but still... I would like to understand what is going on...

Here is my conclusion after my admittedly incomplete detective work (I have not exhausted all permutations of possibilities yet, and this all based mostly on factory default 8 presets) :

So, the Volante's stereo multi-head application is clearly different than the Triple Flashback (remember, dirty-dirty with Volante, dirty-clean with Triple Flashback). The Volante is employing some kind of 'summing', and moving the summed sound across the stereo field (so still in stereo). Otherwise how would you explain the dirty-dirty output when one of the channels being sent into the Volante is totally clean? And how does the order work from left to right and right to left? SO far, if right is dirty, and left is clean, both outputs are dirty. Like I said, I have not tested the reverse yet.

For those who are not familiar with the Empress Buffer Stereo Plus:

https://empresseffects.com/products/buffer-stereo

I am using mode 4 on my Empress Stereo Buffer Plus controlling the effects loop signal traffic, so I have precise control over stereo output to each respective channel or summed mono output to both amps:

Maybe a question for Strymon? I do not know their handle...

Cheers! :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    moore_for_less likes this.
  11. Buddy67

Buddy67 Member

Not that I'd encourage you to dump the BED- I think its analog circuitry gives it the heads up for sound quality over any digital pedal- but yes the Volante has a (non-latching) oscillation switch and expression control over time (and any other parameter). Personally I'm holding out for the Boonar Deluxe to give me what the BED lacks (longer time, multiheads, tap, presets), as I think the analog circuitry will be more comparable.

12. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

I’ve kinda developed a love/hate relationship with the BED preamp so I’m looking to get my preamp style fix elsewhere, anyways.

Oscillation freakouts are my favorite part of it so anything else that can do that is a candidate.

The Volante looks like it can scratch a lot of itches.

13. fitzo

fitzo Greybeard Silver Supporting Member

Strymon's "Psychoacoustics" at work when panning is at default?

14. Junta

Junta Member

Psycho who? :D

Right! I remember that from one of the manuals, or maybe one of the NAMM interviews, and I thought it might be related...

If that is the case, I guess the question is, how does one get rid of this psyhco :anon ?

So I finally need to stop playing around with factory presets and do a deep dive in to learn how to get the max out of the Volante for stereo application... That means I need to take a day off work!

Cheers! :beer

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  15. shikawkee

shikawkee The One True King

Well, I don't know if this is the issue but in the manual you can choose how you want each head panned. Right out of the box it does "stereo summing" automatically if you don't choose.

Junta likes this.
  16. fitzo

fitzo Greybeard Silver Supporting Member

If the psychoacoustics is negated by adjusting panning manually, then there will be some minimal deflection point at which it defeats the automation. Test it with one of the presets and see if it defeats the mixing of dirty/clean. Still likely to have volume issues, though.

Junta likes this.
  17. tochiro

tochiro Member

Can the reverb be used without any echo?

18. GTone80

GTone80 Member

Oui Monsieur.

I loved the Reverb of the El Cap, but the Reverb Level was linked on the Echo Level...

On the Volante you can make a "Reverb" only Preset that is actually quite nice.

tochiro likes this.
  19. natepink

natepink Member

I’m not sure I fully understand the issue so I’m probably way off here. But just in case.

Does this have anything to do with the option on Volante to set head volume?

20. Junta

Junta Member

Thanks natepink, no the issue is not full/half volume.

Upon further testing, I am more confident that the Volante does some kind of ‘summing’, so the effects send levels of two amps impact each other...

I am using a Marshall and a Mesa, and the effects send levels are indeed different. Thanks to the Empress Stereo Buffer Plus, I am able fix the situation, but something to be aware.

I am hoping that Panning heads manually can address the situation without the need for an additional (and equally expensive!) gadget.

natepink and shikawkee like this.