Strymon

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by thenewpollution, Jan 28, 2012.

1. thenewpollution

thenewpollution Member

Why do people sell their 300 dollar strymon ola, capistan, bluesky etc for 10 dollars less than new? It makes no sense, yes I understand the concept of supply and demand but there is no waitlist for anything except the timeline. I dont understand this.

2. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

Shhh, if we don't tell them, they won't notice...

3. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

they actually dont make masses of amounts, and go out of stock every now and then..... it could be a marketing ploy by Strymon to keep the demand and prices high??

but this is all just hearsay

4. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

You can bet Strymon don't like the fact.

5. King Loudness

King Loudness Member

When I was about to order my El Capistan, I went on the hunt to see if I could grab a used one. They were all running $280-$300 shipped. I then went on Strymon's site and ordered a new one for $300, no wait. Sure, I paid a few bucks more when you factor in shipping and taxes, but it still seems odd that these pedals are fetching so much used when you can get 'em brand new with little to no wait. That being said, they are KILLER units... I can see why people love them so much.

W.

6. td2243

td2243 Member

At least the new ones are warrantied. Buying a used one for $10-20 less doesn't have that.

7. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Try finding a timeline or blue sky. It's hard.

8. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

Could have bought a used TL today locally, but they don't come up often

9. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

i'm still awaiting my Timeline (ordered from Strymon), and my DMC-3 V2 (ordered from Disaster Area Amps).
    if this delay behemoth doesn't work out for me, i'll probably sell the pair for as much as i paid for it: $610 (i would exclude the shipping cost). it would be a pretty little package to receive, huh?

...i just hope the Timeline works out for me.

10. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

FYI: the BlueSky is out of stock actually and is only available for pre-order right now. So it's not just the Timeline that has a wait.

But at the same time I too don't fully understand some of the Strymon pedals selling used for such high prices... Actually now that I think about it, currently el caps and others sell for like $265-275 I think. And sometimes the $275's are with a favorite switch. And if you were to buy new - you have to add $14 for shipping. So that's actually a pretty decent price... but yes still high compared to other brand names. But still that's a minimum of a $50 discount if the el cap's are selling without a footswitch. That's good savings I think. And even if an el cap is selling for $290 with a favorite switch - yer saving $75... And that's a big enough discount for most people.
    Now the blueSky on the other hand does sell for like $280-$290... which really is quite high considering I've never seen them out of stock on those until last weekend. So if anyone wants to make money on their blueSky now's a good chance. But anyway, going at the used price I stated above $25-$35... Yeah not a big savings but I guess it's enough for a lot of people.

11. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

Because most buyers are stupid with their money and shopping. Seriously. People anymore have impulse control issues with shopping. It's GAS combined with poor impulse control and a splash of need for instant gratification.

The only logical exception to this I have heard is that Strymon will not ship over seas or that the import taxes end up being so high, that for some people over seas, they are actually either saving up to $100 or just able to get one.

That situation, I can understand someone buying used for only $20 or so less. Otherwise, the buyer is either inpatient or just really stupid with money.

12. codetocontra

codetocontra Member

Well, we see a lot of high asking prices, but often I see things "$OLD" and don't know what the sale price was. Could be asking $280 but took $240. I dunno.

And very good point about the international shipping. Its a hassle and expensive, but its also the only way for some people to get Strymon pedals, like Canada and Australia (maybe?). I think there are some distrubutors in Europe though.

13. Raccoon

Raccoon Active Member

I think it's crazy.. tried selling my bluesky for $270 and someone actually offered me $310 for it.

doesn't make much sense to me.. good pedals though.

14. codetocontra

codetocontra Member

:huh Wow.

Oh, and greetings from Omaha!

15. QQQ

QQQ Member

Because people are buying them for that.

16. Raccoon

Raccoon Active Member

Yea.. I actually didn't feel right about that deal so I didn't sell it.

Nice to see other people from Nebraska.. I have yet to see anyone from Kearney though.

17. off2kamp

off2kamp Member

I too was baffled by this phenomenon when I was cruising eBay for a used Lex. 280 was about the cheapest they were coming through. I just looked and a used one just sold for 298. So strange. Unless a pedal is limited and I can't get it direct I will never pay over 30% off retail.

18. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

i think many times people just don't know about buying direct from the manufacturer. many times, if they can't find it at GuitarCenter.com or Sweetwater.com they go to ebay.

19. dave12

dave12 No commericals! No mercy!

I don't think Strymon is trying to control prices by limiting the supply. I think that they don't have enough people working with them to satisfy demand. They're a 6 man organization putting out 8 different pedals AND working on R&D for their next pedals, not to mention one of the guys (Ethan) only works in customer service and makes videos. I would imagine it taking an inhuman effort to put out enough pedals to always satisfy demand.

The limited supply is what drives those prices up. Call it unfair, but if people weren't willing to pay for them (and they've always been high since I've watched the used market), the prices would come down.

20. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

bingo.

if people stopped being so damned impatient & stopped buying them for $270-300, people would drop their prices.