Stuck in Neutral. How To Jumpstart?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Campfired, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Campfired

Campfired Gold Supporting Member

Many years ago (about 10 or 12), I studied jazz with a teacher who assessed my skills and suggested that my ability be focused on blues voiced with jazz embellishment; specifically, blues scales and chords adding jazz chord voicings that would accentuate my blues playing.

Well, that was years ago, and my personal practice regimen has not progressed much, other than repetitive playing along with blues and jazz recordings.

I'd like to jumpstart my jazz playing with learning either half-diminished or diminished scales, as well as accompanying jazz chords, but don't know where to begin.

I own several jazz instruction books, including 2 of the Guitar Grimoire series, for chords and voicings, and scales and modes.

Would that be an appropriate place to begin learning how to play the above mentioned scales? Where else would one learn how to play traditional jazz scales in this manner?

Thanks in advance...

2. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Start by using these for kindling. Dreadful books, especially for jazz. Focus on learning tunes. Do you have a Real Book? Learn five or ten tunes that get played a lot.
    Get the free handbook at jazzbooks.com

3. Campfired

Several Real Books, plus the Real Book app for iPad. What about learning diminished scales for improvising, or is that not a recommended practice manner?

4. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Major, natural minor, harmonic minor, whole-tone, diminished are all excellent to have down cold. Here's a book with great fingerings:
    http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Pass-Guitar-Method/dp/0793521483

Learning lines that people actually use in solos is what you should be aiming for, in addition to learning tunes. Jazz is a language that is passed down, not just BS thrown together by crowbarring scales over changes. Nonetheless you need to master the scales to the point of auto-pilot.

5. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

forgot about Mr. Chromatic, the king of them all.

6. Campfired

Thanks. I'll review the amazon listing in a minute. After viewing several videos of folks here on TGP playing jazz melodies over chords, it dawned on me that most of their lead playing was harmonic minor, whole-tone, and diminished. Traditional jazz leads. The chromatic scale, IMHO, is simply a series of passing tones on the way to resolving a chord or note choice.

My jazz leads and chords could use some concerted practice, and this may be for me the beginning of a new journey. Thank you for your help.

Almost forgot to ask, what about folks who don't sight read music? Are there jazz instruction books covering the same material you mentioned above for them?

7. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

8. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

And so much more.

9. Campfired

10. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

11. KRosser

KRosser Member

You could start with a song based on diminished scales, such as Jim Hall's "Careful"