Studio Acoustic Guitar Comparable to OM-28?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by CRM, Nov 9, 2019.

1. CRM

CRM Member

I'm looking for a good studio acoustic guitar (for recordings mostly) for a reasonable price. I played a Martin OM-28 a couple weeks ago and it was a dream but at $5,000 after tax (CAD) it just does not seem all that worth it to me. Is there any guitar that even comes close to this sound and feel for half or less the price? I've heard good things about Alvarez and Larrivee but would like to get some specific recommendations to models closer to the OM-28.

Also speaking of Alvarez, can anyone identify this model? It has the look and shape of the Alvarez 5072 Jumbo but would they really be recording a laminate in the studio? Is there an all wood version that shares this look or the OM look? I know the Masterbuilt series is supposed to be good but I'm not a fan of the pickguard shapes

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. clarkram

clarkram Member

If you’re in Canada you have an army of builders making some great instruments.
    Not inexpensive, but check out Boucher out of Quebec, they seem to have a large inventory scattered across Canadian dealers.

Humble Texan Fan likes this.
  3. Jp2558

Jp2558 Member

Martin M-36. In it's description, there is reference to how well suited it is for recording.

4. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

I would go with a Guild OM-140 over the Martin any day - and they wont cost your leg.

5. buddyrama

buddyrama Supporting Member

You might want to check out Eastman.

derekd likes this.
  6. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

I have an old laminate Yamaha (laminate top!) that regularly beats much more expensive/valuable guitars in the studio, especially in a band context where the subtle details of a nice acoustic get lost. It's the punchiest acoustic I own when actually put in front of a mic for recording.

7. sitedrifter

sitedrifter Gold Supporting Member

The Gibson Songwriter is what you want. Designed by Ren Ferguson!

8. retro

retro Member

OM-21?

hustist1 likes this.
  9. IndyMead

IndyMead Member

Larrivee OM-40r

mdog114 likes this.
  10. hustist1

hustist1 Member

Another vote for the OM-21. A criminally obscure model. Mine (a 2007) will be the guitar in my cold stiff hands when I die.

And it records beautifully. A used one should be in your range.

11. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

This.

I just gave away an Eastman OM I'd owned for a decade to a buddy. Had spruce top and IRW back and sides. Was $1500 retail new. Put a K&K pure mini in it and was very satisfied with tone and playability.

Fabulous value.

12. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Lots of 25.4" scale, small bodied 14-fretters will approximate the OM-28. Various other guitars mentioned above are good for recording, but different from the OM sound. Personally, I like mahogany B&S myself, which happens to be way cheaper. As for Eastman and other near-copies, best to try out the individual guitar as they are more variable than Martins. In these smaller bodied guitars, I do not find the budget versions to be nearly as good. Collins, Santa Cruz, and other great makers make good OM replacements, some better than Martin, IMO, but the budget lines are rarely as lively, and a dull small-bodied guitar is a drag except for rhythm.

13. jklotz

jklotz Member

While I agree you should try out any acoustic guitar before buying, I didn't find Eastman's to vary more than Martins. The Eastman's seem fairly consistant over the dozen or so samples I've played.

14. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

Agree on the OM 21 suggestion. My wife has one and it has an absolutely gorgeous sound for accompaniment behind vocals. Plays like a dream. I prefer everything about it compared to her OM 28.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  15. Drak

Drak Member

Bought two Eastmans a few weeks ago, an OO size Adi/RW and a GA size Sitka/RW CE.
    Sooner or later I'm going to wind up buying an OM to fill out the middle.
    It'll be an Eastman, I can flat-guarantee you that.

Listen to the difference in the new Torrified top OM.
    About 10 mins in he flips between them.