Studio amp: Princeton Reverb vs Tweed Deluxe

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by The Whiz, Feb 18, 2009.

1. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I've got an AC15 clone already. Which would you add to your arsenal. Don't worry about separating clones, reissues and vintage at this point. Although, I would probably go for a PRRI or silverface PR and for tweed deluxe would probably go with one of the many clones.

Guitars: Teles, Esquires, Les Pauls and probably I'll pick up a strat too.

2. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

A Princeton Reverb is a great amp, one of the best recording amps in history however in my world a high quality 5E3 tweed Deluxe trumps a PR in a heatbeat!

3. phalanges

phalanges Supporting Member

Having all 3 is like the triple crown for recording.

4. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I did NOT need to hear this.
    :drool

5. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

How about a Hiwatt Custom 100 too?
    ;)

6. Bigtone

Bigtone Member

Steely Dan session's were all done By Larry Carlton, with his old tweed deluxe, I think its a better choice , you can get great clean
    with both, but can get a more raw od tone with the deluxe, and nine times out of ten, the princeton's reverb may not be all that useful, which leaves you with a nice clean, but kinda of a farty od, IMHO.

The tweed stuff always gives you the option off getting more mids on the track,clean and dirty, effects can be added later, like verb and trem.

Bigtone

7. wyatt

wyatt Member

Now, PT, you've been around long enough to know what both can deliver. I'm actually surprised you haven't had a 5E3 yet, I know you had a Z-28, and IIRC, other 6V6 amps through the years.

You got your two extremes here, Fender Tone vs. Tweed Tone.

The Princeton rev is going to give you the shimmering, scooped-mids clean '70's Nashville tones and reverb-drenched '60's Chicago blues sizzle when cranked. You know the sound, we all know the sound. It's Deluxe Reverb is s tighter, smaller package. If your AC15 clone has a 12AX7 channel, then you are going to get more 3-D cleans than the Fender will give, but the two don't really overlap either.

The Tweed Deluxe is looser, less focused, more lo-fi and organic sounding. Great fat cleans are available at studio levels and Neil Young in a box when cranked. Lots of mids, and a oerdrive that is huge, but undefined and mushy sounding. It's not going to be anywhere near as tight and focused as your Vox clone is or your Z-28 was, and that often turns Vox/Matchless/etc. people off.

Which is it that you want?

8. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

This says it.

9. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

Don't forget that the tweed Deluxe's (2) volume and (1) tone controls are all interactive with each other for a variety of tones, AND you can jumper the channels on the Deluxe for some nice Marshall-y grind. Can't do that with the PR.

10. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

If you have an AC15, you've got some killer cleans. the PR also has killer cleans of a different sort. Time to get down and dirty with that tweed deluxe for a change of pace.

11. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Tough call... you gotta have both IMO. :AOK They are so far apart and both are so useful in the studio I'd have a hard time picking a winner. That said, I use my PR more than my TD in the studio for all styles.

The triple crown is calling your name PT!

Good luck

<M

12. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Bunch of enablers!!!

13. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Kind of miss the Z28. It was amazing through the pair of 10" eminence alnico 20 watt speakers of my Mesa Blue Angel.

I think as far as clips go, I prefer the raw tweed deluxe tone over the princeton reverb. But dammit, sometimes I listen to Jim Campilongo and think HOT DAMN!

My Hayseed 15 (ac15 clone) has a top boost channel as well as 2 separate ef86 modes on the normal channel so I can get nice cleans, crunch or anything in between. I like my cleans with grit around the edges and when they crunch up when I lay into it. I think the Tweed Deluxe will give me that too but in a different, looser, rawer flavor.
    :AOK