studio amp

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by tac5, Feb 1, 2005.

1. tac5

tac5 Member

This is an amp question but it's studio related so here goes. I am looking for a small guitar amp with a direct out to record for my home studio. I have a Tech 21 Trademark 60 that I love the sound of, but it has an inherent noise ( I am told that the hiss is normal) that makes it totally useless for my purposes. Think 30watts 1x12, solid state OK, just need a quiet direct out for recording. Also, $500.00 or less. Anybody have any suggestions.

2. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

How about a POD?...or if you must have a combo, one of the Line 6 1/12 combos?
    Greg

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

POD or Valvetronix come to mind for me first for what you are asking and within your price range.

4. tac5

tac5 Member

Thanks! I can't tell you how many people I've talked to have mentioned the Line 6 line. I'll check out the others as well.

5. HammyD

HammyD Member

Check out the Yamaha DG Stomp.... Reviews indicate the best "clean Fender" tones available in a modler/simulation package.

I used one and found it very effective, portable and it is affordable!

I don't have web hosting but I can e-mail a small clip right into a Imac sound card over some backing tracks.....

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Just out of curiosity, how does the POD/DG Stomp/Tonelab/ect. compare with Guitar Rig?

7. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

The disadvantage of using a POD or other external modeler is when punching in. Then you end up with phasing problems between the effects coming in and the effects already recorded. With Guitar Rig, the actual track is always dry and the effect is added to the cumulative mix.

Guitar Rig's cleans are better than any of the modelers I've heard but the Vox has better overdrives.

8. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I read that Guitar Rig can use up a lot of system resources, which makes sense now, seeing how it's always inserting the modeling into the dry signal.

Getting back on topic for tac5, have you tried the Behringer GI-100 ultra G? It's a decent little DI for $35. I tried one against proco and groove tubes passive DI's and was impressed. Together with a dummy load on the amp of your choice, might be a good alternative.

9. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Guitar Rig does take up a lot of CPU resources but you can always freeze the track to eliminate that issue.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

dunno how loud, but how about a used Univalve? at least you'll have the option to mic it up for an added dimension to your tracks.

11. loudboy

loudboy Member

We've had two of these come through the studio and both have been so noisy that it took a lot of repair work, after the fact. Tones were good, tho.

The POD XT is WAY better than the earlier ones, I'd probably go with that.

Loudboy

12. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

If you have POD XT and use the Guitarport software, you are internal to the computer and any phase issues will not be there. If you mean recording wet with effects; well, that is nature of the beast. Cut it dry and effect it later is my MO.