Studio hum question....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Blueswede, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Blueswede

Blueswede Gold Supporting Member

The studio that we use to rehearse in has a problem at least for me with a very annoying hum through my rig. I"m using an AxeFX with FRFR and my PRS 513. It's extremely loud when my guitar is in single coil mode, less so with humbuckers. Does anyone know of a solution to this? Is there any kind of a plug-in device to eliminate this hum? I've tried different outlets with no difference. Thanks in advance. STeve

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Is the studio properly grounded? Does it happen with other guitars through the same rig?

3. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

EHX hum debugger? Noise gate? there are many options, but they will are afect your tone somewhat.

4. Blueswede

I'm taking a different rig on Saturday to see if I have the same issue. Not sure if the studio is properly grounded.

5. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

Single coil pickups always hum a lot more than humbuckers. Thats just the way they are.
    If your amp works well other places I would belive that your problem is in the wiring of the room you are playing in. Not necessarily that it is wired incorrectly, but there may be other devices also plugged into the same circuit as what you are on.
    I would think that a good studio would have good wiring in the room to prevent this type of problem. Good wiring would constitute several home run circuits.

6. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

There is quite possibly an air-conditioner unit on the same circuit, which will give a lot of hum.
    Is it also possible that you turn youtr amp up more at teh studio, than home, accentuating any typical hum in your set-up.
    Background hum is common. I have a bunch of PJ official bootlegs, and the background hum on them is very prominent between songs.

7. Blueswede

I pretty much use the same volume at home as the studio. I know that single coils always have more hum with them. Probably has to do more with how the building is wired. I was hoping that there might be some sort of plug-in device that would plug in to the outlet I use and filter out some or all of the hum. Like I said, I"m trying a competely different rig this Saturday. We'll see what happens....