Studio/Media Room (read: Basement) design ideas?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by TNJ, Jul 27, 2005.

1. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Hi guys...
    My wife has been bugging me to empty out my current music room (which is an ugly site, come to think of it!) and relocate to the finished basement area. The good news is, she is giving me carte blanche to do that area up however I want...within reason.
    Formerly, it has always been the media room with big screen TV, stereo system, and CD/DVD/VHS storage. My desk/PC is down there as well. Since this past february, it has become the permanent practice space (west 20 ft wall) for the band, on the opposite side of the room where the A/V stuff is.
    I cant draw a pic here, but suffice to say the space is rectangular and approx. 30ft X 20ft. The space is completely open...no support beams anywhere. Track lighting is above the A/V stuff along the east 20ft wall. There are at least 15 outlets completely surrounding the room at baseboard level, so juice wont be a problem. Lighting and equipment/furniture placement/accessories are the prime factors, and soundproofing may be a consideration to a degree. My desk where my PC is will be staying (cubby hole out of the rectangular portion of the basement completely). The PC is going to be moving, however, to a new Raxxess System 3 desk (along with my Boss 1600CD recording unit and powered monitors/subwoofer which I havent picked out yet). This I have decided to place along the north 30ft wall closest to the A/V side. I will be bringing down 12 electric guitars, 5 acoustic guitars, 2 basses, 5 amps, and 3 spkr cabs. Also assorted pedals, vacuum tubes, books, and cables. Oh...and a ton of CD's.
    So, there will be a need for shelving downstairs...as Michelle wants to keep the bookcase currently in the music room. There will be a PA system, full drumkit, and other band stuff for weekly rehearsals...along the west side of the rectangle (wreck tangle?).
    I have a sofa that I am considering moving out, and replace with a couple of recliners to occasionally use the A/V stuff on the east wall. But the bandmates may want to sit occasionally...even though they never use the sofa now...so that issue is not decided yet. O.K., get the picture? :D
    What I'd like is input on general layout, shelving to get and where to put it, and any other pearls of wisdom you'd care to share with someone with a decided lack of vision or design skills. If you have been down this road, and can give me some verbal benefit from your project, great!
    As for me, I'd never make it on the HG channel or "This old Studio"!

Thanks,
    S.
    j

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

A room that shape can lead to a lot of unwanted reflections that will make everything sound like crap very quickly. It's good to create random angles and traps. Shelves with books or papers will definitely help, as will stuffed furniture and rugs hung on the walls. You might consider some Auralex bass traps in the ceiling corners, but other than that I don't think you need to be too scientific about it 'cause you're doing it mainly for fun.

Once you're set up, walk around while you sing and get a feel for the "sweet spots" in the room. If you need to shift stuff around you always can.

Another suggestion: get Auralex MoPads for the monitors to keep their vibration somewhat isolated from the desk. It makes a big difference.

3. TNJ

Thanks Michael...
    It is definitely all in fun, as there wont be any money made from the use of the space. Still, I'd like the area to have a decent/welcoming/creative visual vibe, and a flatter sonic ambiance would be gravy on the potato. I didnt want to go gonzo crazy over the Auralex, but was hoping for the advice (which you gave) about a minimal approach to using a bit of it in the right places for band rehearsals AND recording here and there. It would be nice to do some band demo's at my place, rather than spending the dough elsewhere.
    I'm thinking of maybe using a couple of bookshelfs to separate the a/v, raxxess desk half from the rehearsal half of the room.
    And maybe a rug here and there (though the whole place is carpeted).
    S.
    j

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Steve, I've heard and made some great-sounding recordings in some very unlikely spaces. A friend of mine in Nashville had one of the best sounding little studios I've ever used, and it was just a converted house with lots of rugs, blankets, sheets and wires all over the place. His guitar iso cab was the front hall closet. Naturally, having a terrific professionally engineered acoustic space at your immediate disposal is a beautiful thing, but if you use your ears right you can make damned good recordings without spending a fortune.

And oh yeah... play with heart. That's what people want to hear anyway.

5. TNJ

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Steve, next time you're anywhere near the Detroit area, call me and stop by my studio. I've solved lots of the problems, and can show you how.

Les

7. TNJ

Thanks Les,
    I'll take you up on that. It's been too long since I've been in the Motor City area.
    S.
    j

8. TNJ

O.K.,
    Another question. I am trying to decide which Mac to get to do home recording. I dont need top of the line, but I would like enough power to do it right, and also a starting home recording software package to go with the Mac.
    I'm looking at the new iMac G5 with 2 GB and 17" screen. Does the iMac hook up to an external sound system (powered monitors/sub)? And are there any other Macs (again not the bigger Power models) that I should look into?
    Thanks!
    S.
    j

9. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

One design element I was reminded of last night - ceiling fans have no business being in a room in which you play guitar! That heart-stopping TUNK I got as I was unstrapping my guitar was just a tad unsettling! :eek: :(

10. TNJ

No ceiling fans in my basement.
    Wow...Michelle and I moved a TON of furniture and gear around yesterday. It's amazing to me how much STUFF I had in my little music room upstairs. :eek:
    Later today, I'm going to finish bringing CD's, Books downstairs.
    I think this is gonna be a nice setup. The Raxxess desk comes tomorrow. We have some more shelving coming this week too.
    Maybe I'll post some pix...if I can figure out how.
    :D
    S>
    j

11. Benjam226

Benjam226 Member

wow, did he really just respond to a thread that was 6 years old?

12. DanR

DanR Member

And it was his first post, too!

Welcome to TGP, btw :beer

13. Big Boss Man

Big Boss Man Member

Someone is trying to get some traffic over to his website.

14. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

Looks like regular ol' spam to me.

15. DanR

DanR Member

Darn, I missed that. Whenever I see a pretty picture, I tend to forget to read the text :D

16. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member