Studio Monitor - KRK Rockits RP-5s or Event TR5Ns

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by cancelthesound, May 9, 2005.

1. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

I'm trying to decide on some studio monitors for my basic home recording set-up.

Right now I'm looking at the KRK Rockits RP-5s or Event TR5Ns. They're in my budget and I've heard some good things about both. Anyone using these or have any experience with them?

I need them for my home recording setup. Basically I have a Lexicon Omega recording interface and the software I'm using is Pro Tracks Plus by Cakewalk (Any software recommendations would help too, my software is a bit of a pain). I just need something decent enough to lay down song ideas.

Thanks!

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I'd go to the nearest Guitar Center (or similar) and listen to both. Between the two, I'd pick the KRK but that's personal preference, not any tangible advantages over the Event.

3. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

Just out of curiousity, why do you prefer the KRKs?

4. TAVD

I just found the KRK more pleasing. I only listened to them for several minutes so I'm in no way an authority and won't speculate on how each translates to other systems. In general, I find something unpleasing in the mids when poly cone drivers are used. But then again, my current monitors use poly cones and I find them easier to mix with then my old monitors with paper cones.

5. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

Thanks for the input!

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I tried to "listen" at GC and found it impossible. They set them up in 30 seconds and they're not in an environment that tells you anything you need to know. It's a problem, but the only way to know how a monitor will work for you is to try it out in YOUR studio for at least a few hours, if not days. If you have a good relationship with a vendor, he will probably let you try out both on spec and return the ones you don't want for credit. Although if GC still has a 30-day return policy, that's another way to do it.

FWIW I don't like KRKs at all till you get to the top of their line, and they cost a bundle. I found the cheaper ones unnaturally harsh in the midrange. It's such a personal thing... always a matter of individual preference. I find people disagree about monitors more in the way they handle mids than anything else.

7. TAVD

"I tried to "listen" at GC and found it impossible. "

Very true, but it's better than buying them without ever hearing them. At least they're all in the same poor environment and you can quickly rule out the ones you don't like.

Last time I was there, I noticed one of the cheaper Event's (forget which) really stood out from the rest, probably not a good thing for getting mixes to translate well.

8. Bluzsteel

Bluzsteel Member

Had the Event 5 then took em back and got the Rocket 8. I think they sound great

9. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I don't know that I agree... a lousy listening environment can be deceptive either way, especially if the monitors are set up sloppily - such as bass cut switches turned on when they should be off, poor impedance matching, etc. You're right that it is better than absolutely nothing, but I still think it's best to compare two or three for a few days if at all possible.

10. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

Alright, so I listened to the KRK RP-5s and the Event TR5Ns at GC.
    Here were some of my observations.

The KRKs sounded like they had more high end and sounded a little airer (if that's even a good way to describe it). The Events TR5Ns were a little tighter sounding to me I heard the separation a lot easier, while the KRKs sounded livelier. I can't say I prefered one to the other though. Those were just my observations.

I'm a newbie to this stuff so what are the things I should be listening for?

11. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

>> I can't say I prefered one to the other though. Those were just my observations. I'm a newbie to this stuff so what are the things I should be listening for?

Exactly what you described is a good start. Well put.

The best way to audition monitors is to compare them using something you're familiar with. E.g., a commercial song that you know well that has a similar sound and feel to what you want to produce. Listen to them A/B if you can. Listen critically to different parts of the spectrum. Do you get all the highs and all the lows? Does the high end shimmer, fall off or sound brittle? The lows can be the trickiest; does it sound muddy or tight? Are you hearing the fundamentals in the bass? How do the vocals (midrange) sound? Are they hurting your ears when you listen for detail?

This is why it's helpful to know how the mix "ought to" sound, so you can see if the monitors are portraying it accurately. In other words, is what you're hearing in the mix itself, or are the monitors coloring it in a way that might throw you off your own mixes? If your reference mix sound unbelieveably better on the monitors than it does anywhere else, maybe that's not a good thing.

If you try them out for at least a full day you'll get a feel for how easily you can mix on them. It's hard to know in just a few minutes. No matter what you decide, it's a crapshoot to some extent. It really takes time to get to "know" them. JMO

12. TAVD

I listen to the bass first because that's what I find most difficult to mix. Where small speakers are concerned especially, I find hyped bass response seems to drift into the area where bass guitar, open guitar chords, etc. all reside so it's easy to get muudy mixes or mixes with no bottom, depending on which way you compensate. To that end, I'd prefer a speaker that's a little light in the bass, as opposed to one with hyped bass. I tend to use the most EQ from say 40Hz to 1.2kHz. This just goes back to preference though.

For tweeters, I'd avoid anything that sounds harsh, grainy or ear piercingly bright. Tweeters are much cheaper than the larger drivers so there's no excuse for cutting corners, and most monitors do a decent job here.

I'd guess from your observations, you'll find the Events a little more honest but the KRK might be easier on the ears for long listens. But there's only one way to find out.

13. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

That's the one thing that caught me right away on the KRKs was the highs, they just seemed to be more of them than the Events, and after a while I thought that would get tiring on my ears. Also the bass on the KRKs seemed to stand out a lot more than on the Events.

That being said I think I may pick up the Events, and try them out for a while. If I'm not happy with them, I'll try the KRKs.

Thanks for all the advice! I'll keep you updated.

14. mikeyp123

mikeyp123 Guest

I recommend listening to some Tannoy Reveals if you can find them in your area.

15. TAVD

No doubt there's other choices. The Fostex pm0.5 and Warfedale 8.2p come to mind. And M-audio.

I think the TR5 will work just fine. FWIW, if I stepped up to the next tier and had to choose between the KRK V8 and the Event Precision 8, I'd take the Event.

16. bjm007

bjm007 Member

In that range, I'd go with the 5" Yamahas.

IMO the cheap KRK's are harsh in the mids as someone else already mentioned.