Studio monitor recommendation

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by tattoedsailor, Feb 9, 2015.

1. tattoedsailor

tattoedsailor Member

I just got awesome deal on HD 500 and need to get some good powered studio monitors to go with it. Can you guys give me some good recommendations? I was checking out KRK.. Just don't how good they are with multi-effect processors.

2. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

What is your price range?

3. tattoedsailor

tattoedsailor Member

I'm buying used. About $100-150 per speaker.

4. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

5. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

+1 for the LSR305's. I got them when they came out and can only say great things about them. and they are right in your price range (new). simply amazing monitors for the price. I compared them to everything in that price range and they won hands down.they don't distort even at high volume, and they are crystal clear. they can handle plenty of bass. I use them wit my rp500 and my novation mininova synth, they just flat out rock! no puns intended. not to mention they can get darn right loud, loud enough for a small gig even though they're just monitors, they fill my whole condo up with sound when I give em a little juice. :)
    get em, you won't regret it.

6. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

I've seen this question asked quite a bit but never found any kind of definitive response. I'm not sure the best monitors for mixing are also the best for amplifying a guitar modeller. I'm sure they sound great but not convinced you need that level of quality.

For home playing I use a set of M-Audio AV-40s and also an IK multimedia iLoud with a couple of zoom pedals, G3, B1on, G1xon. They all sound great. I like having a volume control on the front of the speaker as well. Neither are probably great for serious mixing but for amplifying modellers, drum machines, multitrack recorders they both work well.

7. GCKelloch

GCKelloch Member

Those time/phase aligned JBL's look like a great choice. Check some reviews. The freq response is probably taken at -6dB points, but that's not a problem. They should be flat for guitar sounds at ~80Hz. Small monitors like that are good for close-field monitoring distance within 1m. The closer you can get while still getting an even sound, the better to mask room reflections.

Class T amps are more fragile than classic analog designs. You should seriouly consider getting an all-in-one UPS/SS/PC, or at least a SS/PC to ensure stable power and no spikes for everything plugged in. You could get something by Belkin for ~$50.

Do a few things right, and you'll get excellent reproduction on house PA's. Monitor at ~85dB RMS to even out the F.M. loudness curve and hear harmonic detail, but generally monitor at ~75 - 80dB to save your eardrums. You'll start to learn how it will sound at higher volumes based on the sound at lower volumes. There are a few basic things worth doing to treat your listening space. Definitely raise them up to ear level via shelving, milk crates or whatever. Lay a thick towel across your desk when checking presets for detail and accurate stereo image. I lay may hands on the desk to diffuse reflections and it works pretty well. Hanging a thick towel or blanket on the rear wall at ear level is important for absorbing slap backs. More elaborate treatment can be helpful, but may not be necessary with close-field monitoring, depending on the room. Set the input trim for the correct signal, and don't set the volume above ~7 with the output of your HD500 at max to avoid clipping, or built in limiter triggering. That would be extremely loud anyway. Line 6 states best signal to noise with the HD500 output at max.

8. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

when I play through my JBL's they sit on folded up towels at a slight angle and I stuff a piece of lightweight super soft foam in the bass ports. I can be sitting 5' away with them on the floor and it sounds great. I have them spread out about 6' apart or so. i also have a set of M-audio AV-30's which are great little speakers but they aren't even close to being in the same league as the JBL's. but their only 15 watts each with 3" woofers. while the JBL's are 82 watts each with 5" woofers. the AV-30's and 40's are really good speakers for what they are and cost, but they don't do what full monitors can do. I like my AV-30's, I paid $69 for them and they sound great, but they are really just a good set of 2.0 speakers, I wouldn't consider them actual monitors. but if they were all in had, I could still plug my rp into them and play and it would do the job for home jamming at low to moderate volumes.

9. GCKelloch

GCKelloch Member

6' apart is really too wide for a small set like the JBLs. I'd place them about 1m apart. I have my Event ALP5's at ~1M from center apart on mouse pads on 10” shelves at the back of a 2' desk for the recommended ~30 degree equilateral triangle listening position. Foam pads in the ports doesn't really improve bass transient response, but reduces bass response a bit. Your presets would then sound a bit boomy on a calibrated house PA. The woofers aren't designed for an AS housing. They should be balanced as is.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  10. Akeron

Akeron Member

Yamaha HS5, in a treated room

11. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

if i was mixing on them, then you're absolutely right,inwouild have them ear level about 3 to 4 feet apart on pads. but my jbl's serve mainly as my frfr speakers for inhome use with my modelers. and honestly having them spread apart around 6' and angled back, works amazingly well. the foam that i have in the bass ports is super lightweight low density. its so light and airy that it barely does anything, in fact it probably does nothing other than make the bass maybe slightly less pronounced. :)

12. richpjr

richpjr Member

I think the JBL monitors are about the best thing going in that price range.

13. GCKelloch

GCKelloch Member

Right, neo. I don't see the point you are trying to make, other than you like how it sounds, but would it sound the same on a calibrated PA? I'm trying to help the OP get an accurate balanced sound to transfer well on other systems.

I read a few JBL LSR series reviews, and the only complaint is a slight resonance in the ~1-2kHz region, possibly from the plastic baffle. They still look like a great deal, but I'd consider coating the inside of the baffle and maybe the port with some kind of sound deadening paint. That should clear the mids up.

14. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

I honestly cant speak for a calibrated PA, because I don't have one and have never experienced one. out of curiosity what would one use to coat the inside of the baffle to remain tacky? tool dip grip stuff? but yeah, for the money the JBL's are pretty amazing beasts.

15. GCKelloch

GCKelloch Member

Clubs often calibrate the house PA for balanced sound with eq's they keep locked up (if they are smart). I did live sound for a while back in the 80's, after fronting a few bands. You could try something here: http://store.acrytech.com/Speaker-Cabinet-Coatings/

I'd inquire if it will stick to the plastic, and make sure said plastic is clean of any oils before applying. That's all I know. Good luck.

16. TommyT

TommyT Member

I just wanted to say I own a pair and have noticed no resonance, do you have a link to this review(s)?

I think I found it. Are you talking about this?

http://www.noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR305/

Seems he solved the issue with EQ, though it was barely noticeable (or not, depending on perspective). I couldn't see myself opening these speakers and coating the baffle with sound deadening paint, particularly for a hardly noticeable issue. LOL.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  17. GCKelloch

GCKelloch Member

Yeah, it was also mentioned in an SOS article, but not a big deal. Not necessary to do. I'd probably end up doing it, because I'd be listening for it all the time and wondering if I could hear the mids more clearly. It's not really possible to clear up resonances with e.q. Acoustic resonance is a complicated thing. There is some masking that occurs, but you'd have to be close monitoring in a fairly dead room for it to be worth doing anyway. I don't think it would be hard to do at all, assuming the paint would stick to the plastic. Just lay them face down on some thick rags, clean off the plastic with alcohol wipes, and wipe up any paint spills right away. Probably take ~1/2 hour labor with some drying time for the first coat in between.

The guy who did the review in the link doesn't seem to understand some things that apply to accurate monitoring. Placing them close to walls to increase the sound stage would just be adding early reflections that mask sound. He also casually mentions that pointing them inward helps. The standard for these types of monitors is to set up an equilateral triangle with them pointed 30 degrees in at your ears. You can listen either just inside or outside the triangle. I listen inside, and check just outside after I've done some preset tweaking just to make sure it sounds right.

BTW, here's another contender to consider:
    https://emotiva.com/products/powered-monitors/airmotiv-5s
    They use regular old FET amps, so they might sound "sweeter". Class D amp designs are also prone to catastrophic failure.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  18. barhrecords

barhrecords Member

19. TommyT

TommyT Member

I thought they were simply just more efficient?

The old model is out of stock, but Equator is supposed to be producing a newer model in the near future.

20. GCKelloch

GCKelloch Member

It's inherent in the Class D design. PSU switch timing has to be precise or it can overload the circuitry, but it's very unlikely anything would happen if it isn't defective already. JBL does the 100 hour burn in at max volume, so...

I was going to recommend the D5, but the price is getting up there. I'm not sure it's worth the extra for the built in digi eq tailoring, and they don't have limited vertical dispersion. The JBL waveguide is supposed to be stellar, and ribbon tweeters (Emotiva) are da' bomb regarding linearity and naturally limited dispersion. They all should be great choices for the money.