Studio Monitors around ~$300CDN

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by m4tt, Jan 14, 2008.

1. m4tt

m4tt Member

Any recommendations as to which studio monitors I should invest in around the $300 range (for the pair). I am just starting out and have no idea what to purchase...

2. sdlogan9

sdlogan9 Member

I bought some KRK Rokit 5's from Guitar Center, got them for $200.00 a Pair.

Sound good.

Worth checking out for the price.

Peace
    Shane

3. R.J.H.

R.J.H. Silver Supporting Member

+1. I got a pair during the post-holiday sales and absolutely love em so far. For what I use them for they're perfect.

4. m4tt

m4tt Member

appreciate the input.

...what can I look for when purchasing quality studio monitors?

5. Sunbreak Music

Sunbreak Music Member

Take some CDs that you know well and listen. Most importantly, take some of your mixes and listen to those.

Don't pick the ones that "sound good". Pick the ones that show you the ugly things. ;-)

6. sdlogan9

sdlogan9 Member

+1

ya some of my favorite albums dont sound good through my KRK's

but I have learned to appreciate the raw/natural sounds of some of my favorite artist's... I really enjoy listening to Wilco' through them.. they have some good mixes.

Peace
    Shane

7. m4tt

m4tt Member

I never thought of this - can't wait to try!

8. bmorelli

bmorelli Member

9. rod horncastle

rod horncastle Member

I got the pretty cheap Fostex ones. Around $200 for the pair at Long & McQuades. I've listened to 100's of C.D.'s on them. Very clear. I can hear the reverb on most albums like I've never heard it before. The low-end is alot better than I thought it would be. I still don't see a need for buying a sub yet...YET!

Definitely not the best monitors but I enjoy them alot.

10. erikm5150

erikm5150 Member

The KRK RP5 are about 300 a pair at L&M.
    I got mine more than a year ago... they are very good monitors!

11. meterman

meterman Member

I've got the KRK 5" powered monitors too, sound nice, working well for me so far...think I paid about $300 for the pair last year IIRC...

12. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Samson Rubicon R6a...6.5" woofer w/ ribbon tweeter

$399USD for the pair....best investment I made in a long time.

13. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I've mixed many projects on my KRK Rokit 5's. I can tell you that they are terribly INACURRATE by themselves. Once again, my opinion is different than many of the posters here. They make GREAT speakers, but that's not what you want in a monitor. So I don't recommend the KRKs...unless you'd like a nice set of speakers for your digital piano...they work great in that application. I would call some of the major recording studios in your area, and see what small monitors they're using. ACCURATE monitors are what you are after, accurate in the sense of eq, separation, clarity and dynamics. Believe or not, I have a great set of Beyer Dynamic headphones that are far more trusty than my KRK's! And they were $200.00. Peace, Jon.

14. m4tt

m4tt Member

is everyone who is suggesting the KRK's a hobbyist?

15. mindseye

mindseye Member

)))Flame Suite on(((

used M-audio BX8'S have been working well for me..........but like the others said the best thing to do is get out and check out as many as you can.

I think at the end of the day no matter what you buy in that price range you will have to "learn" what your system can and can not do.

Good luck on your search!

16. Seakayak

Seakayak Supporting Member

$300??? ok, I strongly recommend something from Paradigm. They used to make a line of speakers called the "Monitor" series and the smallest model in that line is an accurate, neutral little speaker, with more than adequate power handling for near-field listening. I am speculating that it would serve your needs as well as a product designed for proper studio monitoring.
    My advice at this price point would be to check out some consumer manufacturers.
    Heres the Paradigm homepage:
    www.paradigm.com

17. jcground

jcground Member

On a budget, I've had very good experience with Tannoy monitors. Not sure you'd find anything in the $300CDN range, though. I like Paridigm nearfields too, that's not a bad recommendation.

Overall, I second staying away from something that "sounds good" - instead, I'd recommend looking for something that has good fidelity. In other words, if you can, bring a mix that you recorded and compare the tone of the monitors to the tone of the source when the stuff was recorded. Lots of recording gear has its own sound. I tend to like monitors that disappear. I don't want them to add or detract from the sound that gets fed into them. Great fidelity on a budget is hard to do, but I'd want to use fidelity as the benchmark, not whether or not they simply sound good.