• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Studio monitors for axe fx 3, can’t decide!

Droptopandy

Silver Supporting Member
I wish I knew what I do wrong? I tried the FM3 through JBL 305's and was pretty much underwhelmed. It sounded the same as an HX Stomp and an AX8. I'm going straight out of output 1 into the monitors, cabs on, power amp sims on. Tweaked a lot....nothing sounded good to me. Then, shut cab sims off, power amps sims off, and plug the FM3 into the returns of 2 Mesa Combos and the thing sounded glorious! THAT is the experience I've always been trying to get through monitors, or FRFR, and I can never get it. I always have to use a tube amp with a Fractal to make it sound good. Not sure what I'm doing wrong?

toomanyamps

I wish I knew what I do wrong? I tried the FM3 through JBL 305's and was pretty much underwhelmed. It sounded the same as an HX Stomp and an AX8. I'm going straight out of output 1 into the monitors, cabs on, power amp sims on. Tweaked a lot....nothing sounded good to me. Then, shut cab sims off, power amps sims off, and plug the FM3 into the returns of 2 Mesa Combos and the thing sounded glorious! THAT is the experience I've always been trying to get through monitors, or FRFR, and I can never get it. I always have to use a tube amp with a Fractal to make it sound good. Not sure what I'm doing wrong?
You are not doing anything wrong.
Putting your signal through a pair of $1500 tube amps sounds good, putting the same signal through a pair of $100 studio monitors will not sound as good.

Mark Al

I bet it will sounds as good if you plug your HX stomp into that tube power section as well :)

Presonus Eris E8. Dirt cheap right now, plenty of power, great bass response and just simply sound great. I got mine recently for $129 each from zzounds.
Best $260 I've spent in a long time.
I like 8" over 5" speakers for everything, the difference in bass response is pretty drastic to my ears.
P.s. they are front ported, which I prefer for a zillion reasons over rear ported.

Last edited:

Motion5000

I love LYD 48s. Been using them going on 18 months now, they're on Towersonic stands in my living / work space so I consume all media as well as make music with them. They're my 'ears'.

Anywho, they replaced Focal Twins for me which I was never that enamoured with, I must get around to selling those. They haven't come out of their boxes since I got the Dynaudios. The Focals are very good monitors though, but a totally different flavour.

Kutch

I wouldnt get studio monitors at all in your position. There are better sounding options. You get a better sound from FRFR. Try taking studio monitors to a gig to monitor your Axe fx from. Its nearly pointless. Regardless of whether or not you decide to use monitors, dont skimp because your room isnt treated. That might be the worst argument there is for justification.

mjross

Silver Supporting Member
This is what I am currently using on each side, back (was using JBL LSR 4328’s)! Have a set of QSC K12’s front but have been using these Gibson Les Paul Speakers and I’m here to tell you, not too damn bad and loud as hell.

jb4674

Go buy a pair of used M-Audio BX8A Deluxe monitors and you should be ok. You don't need high end monitors to jam with a processor, no matter what the scientists or even the manual tells you.

Proceedeth

Hey guys, I'd like to jump in as a Line 6 Helix and Ableton user looking for new monitors.

I have a pair of Mackie CR3 speakers and I don't think they are cutting it anymore. I had been using them for only Ableton as I was recording into a Focusrite Scarlett interface with my guitars and bass. I also use them for watching YouTube, playing some computer games, listening to music, etc.

Recently I've been plugging the Mackie CR3's directly into the Helix as monitors and they are becoming incredibly distorted when I crank them up and play a bass. I am in a 10'x10' room that I have my PC and guitars/amps in. Just a hobbyist level here - nothing crazy, just like to jam out after work and on the weekends. Learn about recording my own music etc. I don't have a "sound treated" room or anything.

I feel as if I should upgrade to at least 5" speakers but really should I be looking at upgrading to 8"s? I thought about getting two Headrush 108 FRFR powered speakers but that seemed freaking ridiculous to have two on my computer desk surrounding my monitor. So I think upgraded monitors are the best choice - I wouldn't be using the FRFRs to play out or anything.

Could I get away with 5" speakers without distortion provided they are of higher quality? Like the Yamaha HS5? Or if I am going to be playing fuzz guitar & bass (Drop C tuning) should I really focus on the 8"s? Does size vs quality matter to some extent for the quality of the sound for that style of playing?

Thanks dudes!

evildik

I’m using the 5” JBL’s with my Kemper. Sounds great, but yes, they are a little heavy on the low end. Not to the point of being boomy though.

Heavyville

there are a lot to chose from, and lots of options on why each is better than the other.
BUT....
You'd be hard pressed to find another speaker in this price range that is on more records than Yamaha's NS10s and the now modern version HS8's.
HS5's have no bottom end but are incredible for midrange detail. HS8's have plenty of bottom end.

I hit HS8's and love them. The record producer "the machine" uses HS8s - clutch , lamb of god....etc etc.....
those records sound great.
which ever you chose, learn them, listen to other music and how it sounds through them.

I cannot stress however that investing in room treatment is one of the best investments you can make for transparency of audio frequencies. You cared enough to ask.

speakers / monitors in a untreated room give results drastically different than in a treated room.
its just proven science.
if you don't care about such things, that's cool too.

Yamaha monitors look legendary because they are.

Heavyville

Hey guys, I'd like to jump in as a Line 6 Helix and Ableton user looking for new monitors.

I have a pair of Mackie CR3 speakers and I don't think they are cutting it anymore. I had been using them for only Ableton as I was recording into a Focusrite Scarlett interface with my guitars and bass. I also use them for watching YouTube, playing some computer games, listening to music, etc.

Recently I've been plugging the Mackie CR3's directly into the Helix as monitors and they are becoming incredibly distorted when I crank them up and play a bass. I am in a 10'x10' room that I have my PC and guitars/amps in. Just a hobbyist level here - nothing crazy, just like to jam out after work and on the weekends. Learn about recording my own music etc. I don't have a "sound treated" room or anything.

I feel as if I should upgrade to at least 5" speakers but really should I be looking at upgrading to 8"s? I thought about getting two Headrush 108 FRFR powered speakers but that seemed freaking ridiculous to have two on my computer desk surrounding my monitor. So I think upgraded monitors are the best choice - I wouldn't be using the FRFRs to play out or anything.

Could I get away with 5" speakers without distortion provided they are of higher quality? Like the Yamaha HS5? Or if I am going to be playing fuzz guitar & bass (Drop C tuning) should I really focus on the 8"s? Does size vs quality matter to some extent for the quality of the sound for that style of playing?

Thanks dudes!
the Hs5's have no bottom end after 80hz. HS8's have lots.....
Large speakers will be a problem in a square 10X10 room....
the louder you go the more cancellation of the low end will happen resulting in turning up more and more and getting diminished returns on volume.
Quality matters.

when using a "playback" system, one should think of it like an environment as opposed to a bunch of "gear" blasting at your ears.
what is my environment doing to my sound before it hits my ears....

if you don't care.....HS8's bud....you cannot go wrong....

AZG

I went through some KRK 5 and 6.5 before trying out some better and bigger speakers. After trying out some Yamaha, Adam, Focal and a few others I ended up going with Focal Alpha 80's. They sounded the best overall to me, in the mid price range, and can provide the power and thump if needed that just wasn't there for me with the smaller speakers. I've had them for a few years now and I'm still blown away how good they sound even at low volumes. Worth checking out if you can.

primemover12

My Axe-FX III is hooked up to JBL LSR 306 MkIIs. I have no complaints. After researching my options, I also considered Yamaha HS5s and Adam T7Vs.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
I love LYD 48s. Been using them going on 18 months now, they're on Towersonic stands in my living / work space so I consume all media as well as make music with them. They're my 'ears'.

Anywho, they replaced Focal Twins for me which I was never that enamoured with, I must get around to selling those. They haven't come out of their boxes since I got the Dynaudios. The Focals are very good monitors though, but a totally different flavour.
could you elaborate a little more on how they compare to the focal twins? I have experience with the latter but am curious about the former.

thanks!

Motion5000

could you elaborate a little more on how they compare to the focal twins? I have experience with the latter but am curious about the former.

thanks!
I'm going to get them out and listen to them back to back with the Dynaudios. The differences in use bear out the inherent physical differences between the two, the Focals having much more powerful c,ass AB amps, metal inverted dome tweeters and way different crossover freqs.

The LYDs are characterised by their low power, the 4" mid driver and the super high crossover and lovely (to me) soft dome tweeters. Those monitors are like I already knew them on first listen whereas the Focals are bigger, louder, more powerful and kick out the low transients in a different way, they simply more powerful, heavier construction. Something about them confuses me, I almost found them too immersive to have perspective as a reference, like i need to come up for air. The dynaudios are airy and easy to listen to all day. The focal tweeters are super fast reacting on a technical/mechanical level., maybe there's something unforgiving about that which isn't immediately obviously perceivable. It's also possible the low distortion of the tweeter makes the distortion in the source material more bothersome. They aren't overly bright or anything, the balance of them is a smidge darker than the LYDs if anything, from memory.

I'll listen to them again, i've been meaning to anyway, and see if i come up with anything useful to say, lol.

Last edited:

Bishop5150

Gold Supporting Member
I was looking for some monitors a few months back and stumbled on these. A pair of JBL 305 MkII 5" Powered Studio Monitors.

I can't say how they'd compare to the more expensive monitors you listed but I was really surprised at how good these sounded and at the current price they're a steal. $105 each from Sweetwater.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR305MK2--jbl-305p-mkii-5-inch-powered-studio-monitor

JBL makes them with larger woofers and the 6.5" is getting a lot of praise but I found the 5" ones to have plenty of tight and solid bass at practice or recording volumes. Well worth checking out.

Bought these a couple of weeks ago after reading your old post. Had them about a week now and love them!

joafink2

Silver Supporting Member
I use Focal Alpha 50s that I've had for a few years and they sound sublime with my FM3. If I were to buy new today, I'd buy the Focals or a pair of the Adam T7V.

Trending Topics