Studio Monitors for guitar.

Kenni

Hi there, everyone!

Just signed up, and looking forward to have a great time here on The Gear Page!

Well, I have a question I hope some of you can give me an answer to.

I'm looking for some studio monitors for my little home-studio.
I have a Boss GT-10 & GT-100 that I would like to use with the studio monitors.
(Mainly, when playing live gigs, i run the two boards direct to our PA - works great for me!)
Therefore I want the studio monitors to create my patches on, so that I can use them live too. Right now I use a set of headphones, but they tend to color the sound a little and the quality of the headphones isn't all that good, so I guess a pair of studio monitors would be great!
Since I'm not familiar with the whole monitor situation, I would like to know if there's something to look out for. Specifications, etc.

What options do I have?
I hope you guys can tell me something about this situation...

THANKS! :)

Last edited:
even though they all have their own character, studio monitors are more or less flat response. That means most of them will work for you. That said guitars do sound better on some monitors than on others.
Adam is known to make monitors that tend to work well with guitars.
What is your budget?

335guy

Depending on how loud you need the monitors to be and what your budget is. The JBL LSR305's could fit the bill. Since your Boss GT-100 has (2) 1/4" outs ( for stereo effects I assume ), you should be able to plug directly into the backs of the JBL's, which take either balanced XLR or 1/4" balanced TRS plugs. JBL also has the LSR308, which uses a larger 8"woofer/driver and has a little more power, rather than the 5" in the LSR305.

If you need lots of volume at home, maybe consider some small active PA speakers, like the QSC K8. But those are a bit pricey to be used as studio monitors.

Last monitors I bought were computer monitors. Went to Best Buy and looked at what they had and found some nice speakers with a sub for under $100. They work as well as my prior monitors, which were closer to $300, but I can't remember the brand. Honestly not sure if there's a drawback to using computer monitors but they work pretty darn well.

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
One thing to keep in mind is the (dreaded) Fletcher Munson curve. If your monitors can't pump out a good 85-90dB, you're more likely going to encounter EQ issues at gig volume.

335guy

Last monitors I bought were computer monitors. Went to Best Buy and looked at what they had and found some nice speakers with a sub for under $100. They work as well as my prior monitors, which were closer to $300, but I can't remember the brand. Honestly not sure if there's a drawback to using computer monitors but they work pretty darn well.
The problem with using computer speakers is they most often do NOT have the proper connectors to run an effects board ( or audio interface ). Many of the satellite/sub systems have the speakers amp/s built into the sub. I guess this would be okay IF you could hookup dual 1/4" connectors. Many have mini plugs and the like, designed to be hooked up to computer sound cards. I suppose a couple of adapters might work. Depends on what the speakers are.

oldhousescott

Gold Supporting Member
If you're on a budget, the Monoprice Studio Monitor 5s are only $170 a pair and they don't suck.

Davy

Yet another JBL LSR305 user here. Use them with my Kemper with great results. I also have Dynaudio BM6A MKIIs and the little JBLs really hold their own considering they cost substantially less. Very impressive little monitors for the price.

Kenni

One thing to keep in mind is the (dreaded) Fletcher Munson curve. If your monitors can't pump out a good 85-90dB, you're more likely going to encounter EQ issues at gig volume.
What exactly do you mean by this?
Thanks!

oldhousescott

Gold Supporting Member
The Fletcher Munson curve is really a set of curves that describe the ear's sensitivity to frequencies at various volume levels. At lower volumes, the ear is much more sensitive to mid-range frequencies than high or low frequencies. As the volume increases, the sensitivity becomes somewhat more equal across the range of audible frequencies.

What I believe aleclee is getting at is that you should eq your pedal rig at a volume where these differences in sensitivity will be minimized. If you create your patches and only test them at low volumes, you will likely dial in too much bass and treble. Of course, auditioning patches at high volumes for extended periods of time is not good for your hearing, so you'll need to alternate between listening at higher and lower volumes. Ultimately, you'll need monitors that can put out some decent volume across the full frequency range, not just computer speakers.

Kenni

The Fletcher Munson curve is really a set of curves that describe the ear's sensitivity to frequencies at various volume levels. At lower volumes, the ear is much more sensitive to mid-range frequencies than high or low frequencies. As the volume increases, the sensitivity becomes somewhat more equal across the range of audible frequencies.

What I believe aleclee is getting at is that you should eq your pedal rig at a volume where these differences in sensitivity will be minimized. If you create your patches and only test them at low volumes, you will likely dial in too much bass and treble. Of course, auditioning patches at high volumes for extended periods of time is not good for your hearing, so you'll need to alternate between listening at higher and lower volumes. Ultimately, you'll need monitors that can put out some decent volume across the full frequency range, not just computer speakers.
Thank you very much, oldhousescott!
I get that, and I will look for a good set of studio monitors, with good output range!
Thanks for your reply!

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
I have a pair of KRK Rokit 5 monitors that sound very good and worked well with my HD500. They are about $300 a pair tho'

soundmuppet

Platinum Supporting Member
Another JBL LSR user...in fact I have two sets in the music room. One for audio playback and the others for just the guitar. A very natural sounding speaker....if that makes sense.

mixwiz

I wonder how many pair of LSR 305s JBL has sold. I have a pair too and love em. They must be selling tons of them.

RockoRecords

JBL LSR 305's here...love'em. If you can go with more money then maybe Yamaha HS-80M but at the 5" range and under $300 for the pair...JBL's are my fav!

Trending Topics