Studio Monitors for Modelling?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by MikeNiteRail, Jan 24, 2012.

1. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

I have K10s for gigging, but am wondering about studio monitors for home recording. Thoughts? I will have to go Pod HD500 to my Boomerang III and then my Mackie Blackjack. Since I loop, I can't put the DI from the HD in play.

I have great Sennheiser headphones, but the K10s probably aren't great for mixing.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member

I have heard great things about the Ikey Audio Monitors

3. cyclerob

cyclerob Member

Happy here with my Adam A7X studio monitors!

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

I recommend it for the best representation of what you are actually putting out from your modeling box. To me it's the 'clearest' and ideally - assuming quality monitors - an 'honest' unhyped representation of that you 'really' sound like.

I do fine with my modest first gen Mackie 624 and JBL 2300 Sub.

5. Stratofuzz

Stratofuzz Supporting Member

Yamaha HS 80M work really well....

For example; My Allen Old Flame and the HD-500 at bedroom volumes do not sound that different.

6. richpjr

richpjr Member

I'm using HS80Ms with an 11R and the sound is stellar!

7. shasha

shasha Member

Another fan of the HS80M's. I know that there are better speakers out there, but for the price and after doing a lot of A/B'ing I couldn't find anything better....for me.

8. 690MBCOMMANDO

690MBCOMMANDO Member

9. Count_Chocolat

Count_Chocolat Member

ADAM A7 or A7x.

Cry once, set for life.

10. prkaye

prkaye Member

I use my Tannoy Reveal Active monitors with my 11R. I love it. I actually bought a Mustang III thinking I would start playing with that at home, but promptly returned it when I found it didn't sound anywhere near as clear and detailed at low volumes, and was way more fatiguing on my ears. For low volume home/studio use, good quality nearfield monitors are perfect for modellers in my opinion. With the speakers on small risers on a desk so they are at ear-level (when sitting), the sound is perfectly clear, right there in front of you, and you can have the volume quiet as a whisper and still hear it all. I also mix my computer audio through them, so when I'm playing along with Guitar Pro (drums and bass parts) it's all right there clear as crystal.

11. s0c9

s0c9 Member

Still using my Event TR8N's... :)

12. scotchtape800

scotchtape800 Member

I check patches and play through my KRKs...
    I'm thinking of going blue sky though.

Considering the fact that studio monitors are "supposed" to be the most "accurate" representation of your sound, it doesn't really make sense not to go through them unless you want to hear a colored version just for yourself.

13. Git-fiddle guy

Git-fiddle guy Member

Another vote for the HS 80M. I use them with an Eleven Rack and a HD 500. They kick butt! Russ

14. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

+1

I've used A7's for about 4 years now and I'm still loving them. I also have a set of Tannoy Reveal passives - not bat either, but the Adam A7s continue to rival (and own) studio monitors well above their price point. YMMV

15. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

I have run a head to head demo of the HS 80M, KRK 8' and iKey Audio M808 v2. I've end up buying the iKey because they were sounding better. Price difference was NOT a criteria and I walked in the shop with the intention of buying the Yamaha....just saying

16. scotchtape800

scotchtape800 Member

Accuracy vs. sounding good :)
    Two diff things. I'm not an expert though!

17. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

Well, I've get them to have the nicest possible sound at home, and the one that was working better with my live/PA tweaked patches...

18. Capn Spanky

Capn Spanky Member

And if you're into recording, the HS 80Ms are one of the best speakers to give a true, uncolored representation of your mix. Other nearfilds may sound richer and fuller, but that's NOT necessarily what you want when your mixing.

19. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

Agree 100%, but I do not mix anything important at home. Not saying the iKey are better then Yamaha, just that to my ears they sounded more pleasant and PA like with my modelers. That probably mean they are not as transparent as others but also not so sterile. These were just MY purchasing parameters

20. Den

Den Member

HS80M's here and very happy for both recording and just playing guitar. I've used them with an Axe-FX Standard, Axe II and more recently a DigiTech iPB-10 and they sound fantastic with all of them. I also find that tones I create at volume using the HS80M's translate to my FRFR speakers (Yorkville NX550P's) almost perfectly. No desire to look further in the monitor arena.

One thing to keep in mind when you're auditioning the Yamaha's is that they offer some EQ adjustments you can use to dial them in for your room ... and these adjustments make a real difference. Depending on how they're adjusted in the store, you may be not be getting a true representation of how these will really sound in your room when dialed in properly.