Studio One Users? Guitar players?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by wbm68, Nov 13, 2017.

1. wbm68

wbm68 Member

Hello, are there any guitar playing Studio One users here?

If yes, I'd like to ask some questions specifically for guitar players.
    To start out,
    1. Are you on a Mac or PC?

2. What interface are you using?

3. Are you using another preamp between your guitar/reactive load/DI and the audio interface? If yes, which one?

4. Which stock reverb do you usually use for your guitars? Meaning which stock plugin and w.g. which preset to start out with?

5. Do you mic your guitars or use a load box/IRs?

Thanks!

2. Able Grip

Able Grip Member

1- PC
    2- RME Babyface Pro
    4-Either pedal reverb (RV6) or the reverb from S-Gear
    3 & 5- I use my pedals into Scuffham S-Gear amp sim plugin. No boxes etc.

wbm68 likes this.
  3. TeleTubby

TeleTubby Supporting Member

1) PC
    2) Audient id22
    3) I did initially but have since been very satisfied straight into the Audient.
    4) Mostly using the UAD Pure Plate 'verb, but I have others for those special needs.
    5) Straight in unless I want to generate a little (or a lot!) of feedback for song decoration.

I love Studio One, all 3 versions so far- have fun with yours and let us know how it works for you.

wbm68 likes this.
  4. el capitan

el capitan Member

PC

MBox

Sometimes amp miced
    Sometimes amp direct
    Sometimes acoustic gtr direct
    Sometimes acoustic thru Radial ToneBone

I use the StudioOne stock plugin. ‘Catacombs’ preset is pretty cool.

wbm68 likes this.
  5. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

I'm on Logic Pro X but am testing Studio One. I am intrigued!

1) Mac
    2) Temporarily on the interface on my Midas Venice F24 desk
    3) N/A
    4) I haven't bothered with the reverb plugins yet, as I'm more interested in using my "hardware" verbs via various Lexicon, mic'd acoustic spaces, and soon...my diy plate reverb. Not to mention my studio's bathroom which has some good sounds!
    5) I always mic real guitar amplifiers...partly due to the fun I get out of those experiments! A true justification for the amplifier collection....and for the microphone collection. Having said that, the Radial DI is in use.

wbm68 likes this.
  6. quilsaw

quilsaw Member

1. Are you on a Mac or PC? PC, Dell i7, 16 GB

2. What interface are you using? Focusrite 6i6

3. Are you using another preamp between your guitar/reactive load/DI and the audio interface? If yes, which one? Typically use an 11Rack via S/PDIF, alternatively direct into the Focusrite without a separate preamp, except for acoustics, in which case I'll either mic up or run a dual source through a Rane AP13 preamp. I also have Scuffham's S-Gear, which is great to fiddle with on a direct signal. I (almost) always record at 44.1 kHz, so latency is a bit high with the Focusrite for direct monitoring. I'd love to reduce that, perhaps with an RME interface at some point. So, recording a 2nd dry/direct signal gives me the option of using S-Gear later.

4. Which stock reverb do you usually use for your guitars? Meaning which stock plugin and w.g. which preset to start out with? Most often outboard, I use a Lexicon PCM80 w/ Dual FX card, but I also send a dry (or dry-ish) signal as well via the stereo inputs to the Focusrite. On-board, I'll use the stock Presonus plugs, which I find to be quite useable...also plugs, like Eventide's Black Hole for "unique" treatment.

5. Do you mic your guitars or use a load box/IRs? See Answer #3. But, I (almost) never mic an amp, if that's what you're going for. I just don't have a proper "room" for it, for one thing and, it's a bother to wear headphones for monitoring, etc.

I have Studio One Pro and think it's great.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    wbm68 and el capitan like this.
  7. Sean6247

Sean6247 Member

1. Are you on a Mac or PC?
    PC

2. What interface are you using?
    Presonus 44vsl

3. Are you using another preamp between your guitar/reactive load/DI and the audio interface? If yes, which one?
    I use the preamps in in 44vsl and a Fractal AX8. I had the Presonus BlueTube preamp and sold that.

4. Which stock reverb do you usually use for your guitars? Meaning which stock plugin and w.g. which preset to start out with?
    I like the plate reverbs in the stock reverb plug... I am not a big reverb guy on my guitars.

5. Do you mic your guitars or use a load box/IRs?
    I have miced guitars, recorded the outputs of an Eleven Rack and a Fractal AX8, recorded direct and reamped with Guitar Rig, Amplitude?? (the Presonus amp sim), Le Pou guitar sims, and used a reamp box to reamp with physical amps. The Open Air plug can run impulse responses and I have captured IRs of sevearl cabinets and used those IRS and loaded aftermarket IRs.

I am still using Studio One 2 as my computer can not handle Studio One 3. I have the professional package. I absolutely love Studio One and have done several recordings of not only my own music but for others as well and have gotten great results in spite of my limited recording/mixing/mastering knowledge.

wbm68 and el capitan like this.
  8. wbm68

wbm68 Member

Thanks everyone for replying! I hope we will get some more responses from guitar players using StudioOne. It will be interesting to see various workflows and how the equipment inter-connects and interacts.

I am using Studio One 3.5 (whatever the latest is) and use (currently) real amps through a Suhr Reactive Load into a Presonus 44vsl.
    I go from the SRL 1/4 out into the "Instrument" input on the Audiobox as recommended by John Suhr.
    The guitars then record onto mono tracks where I have an Impulse Loader in the Insert. I am either using Two Notes Wall of Sound (latest) or Recabinet (latest). For the last couple of weeks I have been using the Celestion Impulse Responses and use the "All with mono room mic" the most.
    The guitar is also recorded on a separate DI track via a Radial JDI going into the Line input on the Presonus 44vsl.

From the guitar track I have a Send to a Stereo Reverb (Open Air) and a Send to a Delay. Both get dialed in as needed.
    My headphones are the AKG K240, which are comfortable and sound good.

Some days I love the tones I am getting, some days - with the exact same everything - I don't like them. My main issue is getting great tones with crunch sounds or with Fuzz pedals.
    Super clean and high gain always sound great. The in between tones are the most difficult for me to get.