studio pro reverbs and effects?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Teleking, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

I have some plug ins, they just don't sound pro.

What is everyone using? I'm using Pro Tools with a MAC. Could go with plug ins or outboard. Just want to get some very good effects for vocals.

Really don't love the reverbs in my plug ins. Using Waves stuff and the stock pro tools stuff.

Thanks

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

More top end real pros than you might imagine use the very plugins you mention on major label records, TV, film, etc.; but that doesn't mean they're for you, of course.

I've been all in the box for several years for my TV, video and ad music productions. I like some of the good software reverbs on the market.

What kinds of hardware reverbs do you like? Algorithmic, real plates, real chambers, or convolution?

If you like algorithmic reverbs, you can probably find a used Lexicon 960L for around 5 grand; I think the Bricasti is still being made for around 4-5 grand. The TC System 6000 is still available, it's around 12 grand. Their M3000 is a very good reverb, but software, in my opinion, will do as well. Then of course is the Eventide Ultra Harmonizer, which does a lot of things very well, including reverb. I don't remember what mine went for used when I sold it, probably around a grand.

My old partner has two EMT plates that he found at a studio in Germany and had them shipped over, years ago. One's the very large traditional plate, it's about 8 feet by 5 feet, and lives in his HVAC room. The other is the gold foil plate, that's in a much smaller box, maybe 3 x 3?. It's really, really hard to find these used, and they haven't been made in many years. They sound great, though. Highly recommended if you have the room.

I will stay away from recommending plugins if you haven't been happy with any of the ones you have.

To get the most out of a hardware reverb, you'll need a mixer, but you probably have one, or you wouldn't be asking for hardware recommendations.

3. WKG

WKG Member

I use plugins. I find I get better results setting initial my reverb levels loud enough to adjust settings, length, predelay etc. then lowering until it is not so readily apparent. Subtlety is key for me, the impression of space is often more realistic to me. I'll often mix types as well, IR and an algorithmic. I've got Waves IRL, the stock Avid stuff, Reverberate, TL Space, IK CSR. Valhalla has some great stuff, Sean is a genius.

4. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

Plugs for reverb, I use either the stock logic one or the lexicon PCM series of verbs. It's not to the level of an outboard bricasti, but neither is the price and for me the PCM plugs are probably everything I'd ever need...another one I wanna try out though is the softube reverb, haven't had the chance to yet though, but if it's to the quality of the rest of their plugs, I would put it up there...

5. KidArchitect

KidArchitect Member

I'd be interested to know how you're going about using the reverb plugs.

What's the routing look like? What instruments are they for? What kind of sound are you looking for?

I wish I could afford the Bricasti M7 - cuz everytime I use it, i feel like it really puts me in the space. I always feel THERE.

The PCM series are fairly good, can probably find some good used deals on those.

Instead of the 960, you might be able to find a 480 for considerably less.

What's the budget?

6. Scott Whigham

Scott Whigham Member

I suck at reverbs too. I don't know if it's me, my room, or what but I just cannot seem to get them to sound natural. I either over do it or just can't get it like I want. I've tried most of the big ones - UAD EMT140 is my fav on most electric guitar stuff and the Waves IRL with the Bricasti M7 impules is my fav on acoustic - but I just am never happy.

7. Joseph Hanna

Joseph Hanna Member

Where I feel like the latest round of Lexicons software verbs have finally made in the box reverbs legitimate I've never never heard a software reverb with the depth and tonality of an M3000 and for that matter an M2000. Not really even close.

Why would you need a mixer to get the most out of a hardware reverb??

8. taez555

taez555 Member

Exactly, I just use my Lexicon through the SPDIF's in/outs of my interface.