Studio Projects T3 vs M-Audio Sputnik?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by guitarplayer, Jan 30, 2008.

1. guitarplayer

guitarplayer Member

Does anyone have experience with either the Studio Projects T3 or
    M-Audio Sputnik? They have been recommended as good tube mics under $700 price range. My converter is pretty clean and detailed so I want to add some warmth and color for acoustic guitar and vocals. One measure for me are the Norah Jones recordings - VERY WARM, SMOOTH but DETAILED and TIGHT. Any advice on other mics in that price range or recommendations for the two mentioned above? Thanks.

2. bigroy

bigroy Member

I just picked up a sputnik based on some info here on TGP. I think Splatt has used them, although I don't know if he "recommends" them. I usually have to A/B mics etc, to see if it's really what I want.

I've had the Sputnik for almost 3 weeks, I hope to actually unbox it this weekend and give it a go. In the meantime search the threads here for "sputnik".

3. yesteryear

yesteryear Member

I can't recommend the Tube Studio Projects directly but I have used the B1 and C1 mics from them and I am actually astounded at the quality you can get from the two considering they are such cheap mics. I think with a nice converter and proper setup you are in the clear. You get quality recordings and save some dough as well.

4. loudboy

loudboy Supporting Member

We did two shootouts w/two different C1's and it came in dead last, both times, for everyone.

YMMV, but it was a pretty thorough test, on male and female vox.

The T3 may be great, so I'd say give it a try.

I've heard quite a bit of good stuff about the Sputnik, but have never used one.

Loudboy

5. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

i am a big fan of studio projects. sure, they are made in China. sure, the parts are not that high quality. BUT... vintage components are not the same quality as modern components either ;)

I have a C1 (their Neumann u87 copy) that i use on my 70's fane loaded Marshall 1960B. I replaced the parts and cleaned things up, but it sounds a heck of a lot like a real u87. At 240.00.

Now, a friend of mine has compared the T3 to a Neumann u47. And judging by the C1, I do not doubt it.

-ZP

6. Greggy

Greggy Member

I've had a C3 for a couple years. The mic is too damn bright by itself. I use it exclusively on acoustic guitar as the figure of 8 side mic in a MS setup with a KM184 as the mid mic. This combination works well. But again, by itself just too bright and brash for my tastes.

7. yesteryear

yesteryear Member

I have to agree that the Studio Projects B1 and C1 are also very bright mics. I grew accustom to dialing it out in post but actually had the extra high end come in handy a few times.

8. Greggy

Greggy Member

Exactly, its purpose is limited to those times when hyped high end comes in handy. Nothing wrong with that, the mic has its place and purpose. About the T3, no opinion there. Have never used one, and not sure there are many reviews out there.

9. guitarplayer

guitarplayer Member

Any advice for a really good acoustic guitar/vocal mic for around ~$1000 range? I may have more funds available if there is a noticable advantage to spending the extra money. Thanks!

10. loudboy

loudboy Supporting Member

A used older AKG 414, but there were a lot of different models. Do a search for "AKG 414 differences" and see which ones might be the best.

I'd probably go w/two mics, a used AT-4050 or something in that range, and a used Neumann KM-184.

Loudboy