Stuff you can do with a Boss DD-20

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by klaveguitars, Oct 21, 2007.

1. klaveguitars

klaveguitars Member

I recently put together a small pedalboard with some of my favorite pedals in it (you can read more about it HERE.) One of those pedals is the Boss DD-20.

Since I put the board together, I have spent some time tweaking the DD-20, and I found that there's tons of interesting, lesser-known sounds and features in this little box. So I made some clips!

NOTE: The individual files don't seem to be available for download yet at Soundclick. If the links don't work, all the soundfiles are HERE.

CLEAN PAD: I found out that tweaking the TAPE mode you can get a great clear reverb/ambiance, that doesn't muddy up the tone too much.

LEAD PAD: By changing the settings a bit from the previous sound, you can get a great, "poor man's Michael Thompson" type of ambiance, great for slow, sustained leads. The distortion comes from the RC, 808 and AC pedals, all on at the same time, with all knobs around 5.

VIBRATO: The MOD DELAY mode has a vibrato applied to the repeats. So I figured out, if you set the delay time to 1ms, and the level at 100%, you can get a pure vibrato sound... well, almost. You have to kill the dry sound first (which I found out a great way to alternate between normal and KILL DRY by using an AB pedal between both outputs, which gives you twice as many presets... but I digress...).
    I tested it against my original VB-2, and guess what, it's really, really close... so much that my VB-2 may be leaving the board... In the clip you can hear both pedals, the first half is the DD-20 set to vibrato mode, and the second half is the VB-2.

CE-1 CHORUS: If you run the vibrato preset in normal output mode (not "Kill Dry"), you het the vibrato mixed with the dry sound, and guess what that sounds like? Chorus! I adjusted the Rate and Depth in the DD-20 to match my Retrosonic CE-1 as closely as possible. It gets kind of close! In the clip, you can hear the DD-20 first, and the CE-1 second. After this recording, I got them to sound even closer just by turning down the tone knob in my guitar. The Retrosonic still sounds a lot richer, which is good, considering that it costs more than the DD20 and only does chorus :wink:

CE-1 VIBRATO: By this point, I was already pretty surprised of all the stuff you can do with this delay pedal! So I tried to match the "vibrato" mode of my retrosonic CE-1. Adjusted Rate and Depth again, and here it is (DD-20 first, CE-1 second)

MOD DELAY 1: Wow, so all that stuff is great, but can it do delays? Yeah, and really nicely too! Here's a delay with a subtle modulation, dialed in a little dark. One of my favorite features of the DD-20 is the tone knob, it can get the repeats very sweet, analog-y sounding.

MOD DELAY 2: Another modulated delay, with a bit more bite and volume than the previous.

ANALOG: The analog mode is my favorite for traditional delay sounds. It sounds very warm and clear, and even if the repeats are mixed loud, it doesn't muddy up too much.

For recording the clips, the signal path was: Suhr standard -> Little Board -> Luisman amp -> Bogner Cube (w/V30) -> SM-57 -> M-Audio mic pre/interface -> CPU. No EQing or post processing. And the amp's volume was set at 1 (the joys of apartment life).

Let me know what you think!!

2. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

Excellent work - thanks for sharing.

3. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Awesome. I JUST got my DD20 in...so thanks for the info.

4. tmuka

tmuka Member

great clips for some neat tricks - it's nice you put in the comparison clips to your chorus too... thanks for sharing!

5. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Excellent, I was thinking of trading the DD20 for a Nova. But I dunno man!!

Can you please post your setting for each of those clips. Help us out here, I could really use those settings big time. Thanks!

Nice lead tone too. So you were running an RC and AC (or AC+) with a stock TS-808 in the middle? Was that single coil neck, bridge or a hummer?

6. Chadley

Chadley Supporting Member

Great clips!

My DD20 aint going nowhere.

7. hamfist

hamfist Member

hmmmmph. Clips still "no available" for me !

8. BTBAM

BTBAM Member

so....you can get those sounds...but HOW did you get those sounds?

9. gravy

gravy Member

killer tweaks! forgive my DD-20 newbie question but do i understand you can save x amount as presets? if so, what @ ease playing live to switch`em? been looking @ the retrosonic to replace my old ce-1 for gigs...sounds are certainly a contender and thanks!

10. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

Post of the month. . . hands down.

11. orogeny

Post your settings and make it the best post of . . . several months at least. . .

12. james russell

james russell Silver Supporting Member

I've been looking for the right delay for a while. This is very tempting.

Nice guitar playing as well as programming!

James

13. 89strat

89strat Member

I've been using a DD-20 for a while now. There's tons of settings that are pretty amazing.

For chorus sounds, I use the Modulated Delay with feedback all the way off and level all the way up and set the rate somewhere around 25 and depth at 90. I believe the repeats are set at 5ms. I've gone back and forth with various chorus', and I can't seem to find one as much as this one that I get with the dd-20.

I'm always looking for a good U2 setting, preferebly for Streets Have No Name (we do that in my cover band). If anyone has one, I'd love to hear it.

14. giggedy

giggedy Member

clips aren't working, any suggestions?

15. BTBAM

BTBAM Member

use his first link....

16. orogeny

17. klaveguitars

klaveguitars Member

Wow, thanks guys, glad you like them! Let me try to answer some of your Qs...

jamison162: For the lead tone, I used an RC Booster into a Maxon OD808 (supposedly the same as a stock TS808) into an Xotic RC Booster. All the knobs were set at 5 (12 o'clock), except the treble in the AC was set around 3/4 (10 to 11 o'clock). The guitar was a strat type, with a Suhr DSH pickup in the bridge position, and two Suhr noiseless singles in mid and neck.

hamfist: for some reason, the clips are not downloadable yet, but you can check them out here: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=763780

gravy: you can save 4 presets, plus one "manual" setting, so 5 sounds total. It's easy to access the presets, but you only have one pedal to sort through them, so to go from preset 1 to 4, you have to step on the pedal 3 times. It's not a problem for me, and since the delay trails spill over, it's easy to change sounds without weird gaps and silences. And the Retrosonic is an excellent pedal, go for it.

About the settings: Here they are approximately. For the TONE, E LEVEL and FBACK pots, 0 means all the way to the left, 5 means center, and 10 means all the way to the right.

CLEAN PAD: Set "playback heads" to Hed2 (manual p. 23)

MODE: Tape
    DELAY TIME: 1000ms
    E. LEVEL: 5
    FBACK: 10
    TONE: 3

LEAD PAD: Same setting as before

MODE: Tape
    DELAY TIME: 600ms
    E. LEVEL: 3
    FBACK: 7
    TONE: 1

VIBRATO: To get VB-2 type vibrato, output must be set to "out 2" (manual p.30), and cable to amp plugged into "out b".

MODE: Modulate
    DELAY TIME: 1ms
    E. LEVEL: 10
    FBACK: 0
    TONE: 4

RATE: 70
    DEPTH: 80

CE-1 Chorus: Use "Out A"

RATE: 25
    DEPTH: 80

CE-1 Vibrato: Use "Out A"

TONE: 0

RATE: 90
    DEPTH: 85

MOD 1 & 2:

DELAY TIME: set to dotted 8th, and tap tempo.
    E. LEVEL: between 6 and 9
    FBACK: between 2 and 4
    TONE: between 2 and 4

RATE: 50
    DEPTH: 60

Analog:

MODE: Analog
    DELAY TIME: set to dotted 8th, and tap tempo.
    E. LEVEL: 5
    FBACK: 4

I wrote these settings from memory, so they may not be exact, but they will be close enough.

Also, it is possible to connect a slightly modified AB box to the output of the pedal, to alternate between output modes 1 and 2. Depending of the type of presets you want to use, it can give you 2 different usable sounds out of each preset. For example, you can alternate between vibrato and chorus in the same preset.

Enjoy!

18. whitenoise

whitenoise Member

Great Post....

Hats off to ya klave

19. Chadley

Chadley Supporting Member

Partner this post with the one we had a while back in which I proved that the DD20 does not convert your signal to digital and then back to analog (like the DL4 and Nova) and you have yourself a pretty strong argument that the DD20 is one of the best values on the pedal market ever.

link

20. novawind

novawind Member

Fantastic, going to bookmark this and try out all those settings after midterms are over. Thanks!