Stunning tone - Cropper

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by sgsupremep90, Feb 27, 2009.

1. sgsupremep90

sgsupremep90 Member

Just saw a Smithsonian Channel special called Sound Revolution. It has a segment with Booker T and the MGs playing Green Onions at the Montreaux Jazz Festival. They really groove on it. Steve Croppers' tone is incredible.....
    essential, fundamental, awe inspiring. It's in his hands, his Peavey tele, his red knob twin. Wow. Check it out.

2. cottoneyedjoe

cottoneyedjoe Member

Thanks for the head's up.... Too many times I hear players talk about all of the "hot shots". Well, for me Steve was the "hot shot".

If I could only play rhythm like he can.

3. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

The other night on our local PBS channel they had a Stax/Volt concert from Oslo Norway (I kid you not) from 1967 with Booker T and the MG's (Cropper & Dunn) playing and backing up Sam & Dave, Otis Redding, etc. Not only was the show incredible, Steve & Duck were playing through Marshall half stacks - I believe they were JTM45's. Cropper's tele sounded fab through it - on his leads, it was just starting to breakup a bit. I presume for this European tour they had to suffer with locally available amps. Tough luck for them, huh?

4. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

5. sgsupremep90

sgsupremep90 Member

6. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

There an echo in here??

CT.

7. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure this is the D.A. Pennebaker documentary of Otis Redding's performance in Oslo, which was also recently released in a deluxe DVD fomat. It is a killer show by a phenomenal bunch of musicians--very much worth having in the library.

Now if I could only cop Steve Cropper's truly remarkable timing and phrasing...

8. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Crimony, don't fall off of your longboard now.....

On another note, looks like Steve is running through a Super PA!

9. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

If I could cop anyones style it would be Cropper.

10. aeolian

aeolian Member

I thought Booker sounded awesome. Probably played that more times than he can remember but his phrasing and tone (yes you can milk tone from a Hammond if you know what you're doing) were miles ahead of the original. Keep on playin' Booker.

11. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

Pretty hard NOT to get great tone from a B3. Roadies required tho unfortunately.

CT.

12. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I saw them in Uniontown, PA in 1966 at the Red Rooster, and I was part of the company that sponsored the show, meaning I got to go and give away a door prize on stage. So that meant I got to MEET the band. I got Booker's autograph.

Man, that was some show. Steve Cropper was playing that white tele through a Super Reverb (my dream amp back then, and now, come to think of it...). Booker was killin' on the mighty Hammond B3, man, what a groove. Steve seemed uncomfortable being in the spotlight, but his need to perform was too great. In fact, none of those guys seemed to be interested in being stars. It was all about the music to them. Try to catch the Stax special on PBS. I hope it's repeated. Sort of a "Funk Brothers" style story about the Memphis sound.

Duck Dunn was my first in person confirmation that all Bass players really DID bob their heads when playing. Really, look next time. So I took up bass. I got the head bobbing down, but my groove was sorely lacking, compared to Duck. I could play the notes. I just couldn't play em in order...;)

13. sgsupremep90

sgsupremep90 Member

Couple of bands can lay a groove and ride it: Booker T &; Medeski Martin and Wood; the Meters. Different but similar in reliance on the beat. Others?