Stupid but Urgent Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by teetopkram, Jan 23, 2008.

1. teetopkram

teetopkram Member

Hi all -

First - I don't know jack about electricity...I'm a freaking psychology graduate. But here's the deal.

I have one of those Fellowes Power Converter units that I plug into my car's cigarette lighter to power laptops for trips, charge cell phones, etc. Specs on the converter can be found here...

http://www.unitedsale.com/product_in...ducts_id=18416

It's specs read that it puts out 150 watts of continuous power at, 12Vdc, 15A Max., with an Output of 115Vac , 60Hz. It automatically shuts off when power demand is exceeded.

So, my question is...will this be a safe and powerful-enough source of electricity from my cigarette lighter for me to power my Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue for a demonstration to a local person who wants to buy the amp from me? Given our locations, meeting in a parking lot somewhere is the best way to meet halfway so to speak.

If it helps, the manual to my Fender state that is power specs are "Input: 100W (AC line cord); Fuse Type 2A, 125V:

Thanks in advance for all help.

Mark

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    The fact that the amp demands 100 watts and the converter privides 150, would indicate that it's ok.

As always, check it at home first. My gut feeling is that I'm a little surprised, but I've been wrong before.

3. hamfist

hamfist Member

I'm no expert, but your amp wants to see 125V right ? The output numbers you quoted for the device were 150W at 12V. I hope you get my drift.

What is it's output at 125V ?

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Good point. I was a bit confused by this (since the car battery is 12 volts, why would a "converter" put out 12 volts? ). There's probably a missing word like "input" where the 12 volts info is in the original post.

There's a bit of missing information and the link for the spec's doesn't work.

5. teetopkram

teetopkram Member

Sorry that the link didn't work, and sorry for the confusion in specs...again I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff...

Maybe this link will work:

http://www.mdofpc.com/onlinestore/f...no&PHPSESSID=753dd204a9089cdb6cf16092483e0680

Here are the specs I pulled from the website:

With this Fellowes Mobile Power Inverter, you can efficiently and reliably power a variety of household AC products! Simply plug it into a 12-Volt outlet in your car or boat. Power your TV, computer, VCR's and more when on the go! Order your Fellowes Mobile Power Inverter today!

Features/Specifications:
    Fellowes 150W DC/AC Mobile Power Inverter

General Features:
    Turns Cigarette lighter into standard AC Plug
    150 watts of continuos power
    Automatically shuts down if power levels are exceeded
    12Vdc
    15A Max.
    Output: 115Vac , 60Hz
    On/Off Switch
    POWER LED
    FAULT LED

So, it looks like it takes in a 12V dc current from the car battery and turns it into 150 Watts at 115V AC current. Still not up to the 125V that the amp wants (or at last the fuse has..the manual says 2A, 125V for the fuse type).

So, am I safe in assuming that since the amp wants 100W at 125V, whereas I can provide 150W at 115V, this won't work?

Mark

6. Londoncalling

Londoncalling Member

Here is the product page...

http://www.unitedsale.com/product_info.php?products_id=18416

Both it and the OP state 115 v ac output...so it is supposed to work.

I like what bluestrat said: try it at home first.

hmmm the add further states:

With this Fellowes Mobile Power Inverter, you can efficiently and reliably power a variety of household AC products! Simply plug it into a 12-Volt outlet in your car or boat. Power your TV, computer, VCR's and more when on the go

More hmmmmm. TV's require alot more than 100 watts to start up....but I am getting off topic.

good luck!

7. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

Sounds like it will brown your sound!

8. bosstone

bosstone Member

According to the specs, it will work.

9. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Well I've done something like this before, I didn't check the specs on my converter, however what I was experiencing was that if I turned it up and hit it hard, it would suck the juice so much that the sound just caved in and the lights started to go dim.
    So be careful, you could suck your car battery dry.

10. gmprak

gmprak Supporting Member

Wouldn't there be dangerous grounding issues doing this?

11. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Hmmm...possible. I'd definitely avoid getting between earth ground and the guitar strings or amp chassis.