Stupid Classic 30 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by T-bone, Sep 22, 2005.

1. T-bone

T-bone Member

Hey
    My Peavey C30 came with a 16 ohm speaker, BUT, it says in the manual that its 30 watt into 16 or 8 ohm??????

Are they talking about running an ex cab at 16 ohms along with internal speaker at 16 ohms to get the load to 8 ohms??? or can the amp just run 16 or 8 ohms period???

I really can't say enough good things about these amps. I've played and owned a lot of booteek amps and I still like this cheap little bugger the best.:D

2. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I just picked up a used Delta Blues 2x10 with the tube guard and new JJ EL84's for $300. Seemed like a good deal.

3. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I assume it's if you add another 16 OHM cab you'd have a 8 Ohm load?

I can never keep the math straight on this shiite.

EP

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Yes, it'll run safely at anything between 8 and 16 ohms so:
    1. Run the internal 16 ohm speaker
    2. Run the internal speaker and an external speaker cab of at least 16 ohms.
    3. Unplug the internal speaker and run an external cab with 8-16 ohms...

5. T-bone

T-bone Member

So,not that I'm going to do this, I could change the internal speaker to a 8 ohm with no issue correct?

Also-whats the load if I run an 8 ohm speaker from the ex jack along with the internal 16 ohm?? I'm not doing this,just thinking about it

;)

16+16=8
    8+16=??

6. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

technically, you can run an internal speaker at 16ohms. you can run int and ext if they are both 16 ohms (16 and 16 in parallel is an 8 ohm load). by using the ext speaker jack the output tranny is switched to the 8 ohm tap. if you use an 8 ohm internal speaker you should plug a dummy 1/4" male plug in the ext speaker jack to utilize the 8ohm tap as previously mentioned. i would not recommend a mismatch on this amp. the trannies are not as overrated as some other amps and you can blow the output tranny. it's about a $50 part depending on where you get it.

7. aeolian

aeolian Member

I ran a Celestion/Mesa 90 in one of these, gigging for a couple of years with no problems. The better speaker makes up a bit for the looseness of unloading the OT. But it never got overly hot, so it seems that although this is a low cost amp, they didn't cheap out on the OT as much as they might have.

Yes, Peavy did make an extension cab with another 16 ohm speaker in it.

I wouldn't recommend running two 8 ohm speakers though. That might be a bit much for this amp.

BTW, that C90 sounded killer in this amp. Gave it some girth and got rid of that nasalness when you crank the stock speaker. Plus the higher efficiency helped with the volume level. A G12H30 might be great too. Of course you could get a 16 ohm Tonespotter or Tonker which would really rip with that amp.

The only problem was that it ate EL84s. Rattling their little guts out. The Tesla's lasted a bit longer than the Sovteks. And it hated Sovtek front end tubes. Voiced with Chinese, and much better to keep it that way.

8. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

an 8 ohm load on the improper OT tap can be done but it is not recommended for any length of time or under any other stress. if you have ever been inside a c30 or db the components are not overrated by any means.

9. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

I have an 8 Ohm speaker in my classic 30 and I just use a dummy plug into the extension jack just like teefus says. He is right on. I do plug in an 8 ohm cab on occasion just to run at home at low volume, but I don't make a habit of it. If you want to replace the internal speaker, I'd recommend a 16 ohm if at all possible. I think the texas heat from Eminence would be a great one for that. I have a Red, White & Blues in mine and am very pleased with the sound. Tim at Earcandy cabs says this about the Texas Heat:

Texas Heat
    Nice warm, fat tone with a little top end bite and clarity. Very touch sensitive with a hint of British flavor." This speaker will go down in the history books as one of the finest.
    This is the ultimate SRV type Scorching blues speaker. Capable of handling a lot of power, definitely one of the best speakers out in the last 10 years. This speaker has a huge fat tone, with warmth and clarity. The mids are bluesy and highs have a bit of a warm bite to them, which just enables a lot of versatility out of your 5 or 3 way pick up switch. Go from the scream to the dream in nothing flat. One of EarCandys Favorites for the Sovereign cabs, being used by the tube head blues players. Warmer and more bluesy than the Screamin Eagle and the cleans are to die for!

10. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

+1 on the texas heat. a weber blue dog ceramic is a nice one too.

11. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

It sounds to me like some of the Classic 30s shipped with 8-ohm and some shipped with 16-ohm, but they just produced 1 manual.

12. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I replaced the stock speaker with a 16 ohm Jensen Neo and I've been really happy with the tones for over a year. Home, rehearsal, and gig level playing have all been great. And it makes the combo very light :)

jon