Stupid EQ question...

CaprioM85

Is it permissible to say I can remove my TS type Overdrive from my board and replace it with a graphic (or para) EQ? I mean...I have a mid gain pedal already, can't I just add mids in with my EQ to get the TS sound when I want it and then have the ability to shape the hell out of my tone when my tastes change without playing the pedal swapping game?

Black_Label

Isn't a Tube Screamer more than just a mid-boost? I'd guess that an EQ pedal will allow you to spike your mids but it's not gonna sound like a Tube Screamer. There's also that little issue of gain.

charley

Gold Supporting Member
In my experience, most of the EQ pedals out there are very transparent. They can shape your tone WITHOUT overdriving it. To be honest, you may fare better with a non-standard kind of eq pedal like the Bearfoot Sea Blue EQ. Yes, it can shape your tone, but it also adds warmth and just a very mild saturation that seem to be just perfect.

Of course, a quality EQ pedal is a handy tool for any board. A very transparent EQ pedal, with a great boost, is the Empress ParaEQ.

John K.

I think for me a Tube Screamer has a certain feel. A little more compressed and spongy, and so especially if you're pushing that into another pedal it's really determining the feel as well. Actually, besides Tube Screamers, I've found adding mids to have the opposite effect, so TSs have their own thing going on.

CaprioM85

Isn't a Tube Screamer more than just a mid-boost? I'd guess that an EQ pedal will allow you to spike your mids but it's not gonna sound like a Tube Screamer. There's also that little issue of gain.
I didn't say use the EQ as a TS. I meant just boost the mids on my mid gain pedal when needed. Sometimes I want that mid boost, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a TS sound. Just a boosted mid. I feel like it would be a smoother transition to just stomp the EQ and boost mids instead of tap dancing to turn one off and another on.

Black_Label

I didn't say use the EQ as a TS. I meant just boost the mids on my mid gain pedal when needed. Sometimes I want that mid boost, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a TS sound. Just a boosted mid. I feel like it would be a smoother transition to just stomp the EQ and boost mids instead of tap dancing to turn one off and another on.
Well, you're asking tgp, where there's a chasm of difference between a standard Ibanez Tube Screamer and a boutique or vintage one. Depending on the EQ, you might be able to approximate the TS sound but I'd guess it won't sound that close. Let us know how it works out!

DaveKS

Many people use the TS stacked with their other od pedals, you just turn drive down on TS and use it as a mids boost either in front of or after your other pedal. No tap dancing, just kick on the TS when you want that boost.

huevos

Simple, just center the mids as close to 720Hz as your EQ allows and roll off frequencies above/below at 6db/octave. Set level to taste. Putting the EQ before or after the other OD will sound slightly different, but it will basically get you the same thing as a TS mid boost.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
An EQ just shapes the tone, where a TS shapes the tone, saturation, and harmonics.

eSS eSS

There is no such thing as a stupid question...But if there ever was...Just Kiddin'.

Get a Graphic Equalizer...It can shape your tone a lot more than the thousands of ODs out there.

Ferret

Silver Supporting Member
An EQ just shapes the tone, where a TS shapes the tone, saturation, and harmonics.
It does when used properly. But that means subtracting at the frequencies you don't want accentuated rather than adding to the ones you do want boosted. Get rid of the shrill and boomy. Most beginners make the mistake of using it to boost certain frequencies because they like the volume boost and mistake it for tone shaping. They'd like it wherever they applied it. Boosting is a job best left to a clean boost. Otherwise you lose headroom very fast and, as you play, you'll think that this or that frequency needs a bit more bite and, before you know it, there will be no more scope to shape tone—a bit like the band where each member in turn decides he's not loud enough and the volume ends up over the top.

Trending Topics