stupid f*&^%$g speaker tabs!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by johnspeck, May 13, 2008.

1. johnspeck

johnspeck Member

so i'm taking the speakers out of my old cabinet to load in my brand new one, and i'm like a kid on xmas morning.

i'm holding the speaker lead with just a tiny amount of tension, so as i apply the soldering iron, the lead will come off the terminal. except that before i even get the solder flowing, the stupid crappy tab mounted to the speaker frame breaks off!

this is the second crappy tab to come off a weber speaker of mine!

i don't abuse my stuff, i don't yank the thing off the speaker terminal, my gear doesn't get any more beat up than the average road-wear (which is to say, pretty bad, but sheesh...)

none of my celestions have had this problem. or my naylors. or other oddball speakers i've had in and out of cabinets, etc...

i read a thread somewhere where a guy repaired a speaker with the same problem, but that entails drilling out the old rivet and having a rivet gun to attach a new one. and shipping them back to weber is spendy and time comsuming...

suggestions?

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I don't know if you can buy the parts (the little "cardboad tab holder, etc.) but it's the connection you are most interested in...A rivet gun costs very little, and you might be able to mount it on something a little more solid.

I never understood why they are so flimsy (in pretty much all speakers I've seen) either.

3. soulsonic

soulsonic Member

Weber's tabs are held with an eyelet that's been staked in place. It's not very secure for that sort of thing, which is probably why the stupid thing fell off. You could probably yank the remains of the eyelet off the frame pretty easily with a pair of pliers - the metal is pretty thin and weak. And you don't necessarily have to rivet the tab back into place, you could probably just bolt it on with something small like a #4 nut and bolt.

If you're feeling saucy, you could drill a couple holes in the frame and install insulated binding posts, but that requires you to be very careful... any deformation in the frame could potentially cause a voice coil rub.

4. 5881

5881 Supporting Member

I would call Weber and I'm sure Ted would send you a replacement tab set. Since you know how to solder taking the coil leads off the old one is no big deal,(mark them prior to removal) and if you do not want to spend $10.00 in a pop rivet set (Sears or Depot), just epoxy the tagboard part of the tab set to the frame of the speaker where the old one was. File a little paint off the frame where you glue to, or rub it with acetone. Or, you could use a small sheet metal screw, using the existing holes, with a bit of thread lock to keep the screw from shaking loose. Frankly, the rivit gun is less work, and it's handy to own one.

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I did. Rivet guns come in handy. Cant recall how many times Ive used it for odd stuff. If you have a "donor" speaker its relatively simple to do. Bob