STUPID FENDER (52ri tele content)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gregovertone, Dec 30, 2005.

1. gregovertone

gregovertone Member

i gave my month old 52 ri tele to the local tech to get setup with 11's (instead of the stock 10's).

in order to adjust the neck, you need to take the neck off, because the truss is only open in the neck pocket.

unfortunately for me, and some other higher end fenders (according to the frustrated tech), Fender put the neck on while the lacquer was drying, and essentially glued the neck to the body.

when he moved the neck, the lacquer cracked off about a 3/4in (diameter) piece at the neck joint, but on the body...very visible. about the size of a tear drop pick. hes trying to glue it back on, and will then buff it out.

the tech was torn up about this. he said that it is the 12th-ish time it has happened to him. the other tech at the store will no longer repair these styled fenders, because it has become such an issue.

he is going to call fender on my behalf, but he's not sure what they are going to do. luckily he works at a top grossing fender dealer, so he may be bale to get someone's attention.

weak.

2. hogy

hogy Member

There's actually an opening between a Tele's neck cavity and neck pickup rout that lets you access the truss rod without taking the neck off.
    All he had to do was to remove the pickguard and lower or remove the neck pickup. You can even adjust a Tele neck under full string tension.

Back to repair school.

Hogy

3. Tinman

Tinman Member

What I don't understand is if its the 12th time it has happened, why didn't he run an exacto knife or a razor around the joint before pulling the neck off?

4. lanesmat

lanesmat Member

I had this happen to one of my Strats before, but it had nothing to do with drying paint. Some neck joints are so tight, that if your not very careful in removing the neck you can flex the edge of the body joint (where the neck joins) and chip the paint. Been there and done that.

You might consider another tech..

Scott L.

5. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like the tech muscled it.

6. Jim Barth

Jim Barth Member

I am not aware the problem your tech described was an issue for any of the techs that work on my Fenders.

As mentioned above muscling the neck out is.

7. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

I had something similar happen to my Gibby CS 68' FT Custom...

When I went to change the strings I decided to see what it would look like with the pickguard off, so after removing the screws I pulled it off, including a small area of laquer around the screw hole on top of the body! :mad:

Seems like the guitar marker is getting so heated-up that their assembling guitars before the paint is dry these days, don't it :jo

8. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

If he was a tech experienced with working on teles he would have done one of two things.
    1) Remove the pickguard, lower the neck pickup and access the neck adjustment there. ( I have an offset tool that works like a charm.)

2) Take a utility knife and carefully run it around the neck pocket breaking any seal to the lacquer at those points.

Sounds like the guys is a little green and lacks some experience.

9. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

+1 to that. No need to take the neck off at all. WTF ???

10. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Bingo. Fender didn't put the neck and body together before the lacquer dried - lacquer takes weeks or longer to cure and can still bond before it is cured.

11. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I know this hint is in one of Dan Erlewine's books.

12. Shemp

Shemp Member

He might be the tech at the highest grossing Fender shop in the area, but he doesn't know **** about guitar repair. I'd insist that the guitar shop make me whole for the damage done by their incompetent tech. Print this page and bring it with you.