(stupid ?) good material for advanced player

Ok. I always seem to get lost in looking through these threads, so this question is probably going to be really annoying to most of the people who hang out in this area.

Im looking for good material, (books/dvds preferred)

My goals
master my chord construction (ie making and naming chords)
connect my shapes all up the neck
make my leads follow and accent the chords
THINK OUTSIDE OF MY MAJOR SCALE. (right now i just think major scale all the way up the next!)
pretty much everything theory ha

My playing and chops are advanced. But my knowledge and overall understanding of things isn't that expert. But i am a quick learner! I play alot of pop rock, blues, jazz (or my sad attempt at...), country if that helps pick the right material.

Thanks
Daniel

M

Member 995

I highly recommend "The Advancing Guitarist" by Mick Goodrick.

Elektrik_SIxx

+1 to the above although I don;t have SOS yet.
I would add Chord Chemistry by Ted Greene and Linear Expressions by Pat Martino to the list.

Gigbag

Two totally different approaches in addition to the great ones mentioned already:

• Plane Talk by Kirk Lorraine (sp?) -- this is a simple approach to use of chord tones for soloing and melodies
  • Doug Doppler's diatonic DVD workout (I forgot the name) -- this will have you working through scales, chords, and improvising in great detail.

bdam123

+1 for The Advancing Guitarist

The Guitar Grimoire: Chords and Voicing (A Must)

Ted Greens Chord Chemistry is a crazy read that wil take you a life time to understand. I suggest Modern Chord Progressions by Ted. Its a little easier to get around.

My goals
THINK OUTSIDE OF MY MAJOR SCALE. (right now i just think major scale all the way up the next!)

Given the above goals, check out this book by Jon Damian, which addresses all of the above as well as the "thinking"/creativity one:
http://www.jondamian.com/media/books/the-guitarists-guide-to-composing-and-improvising/

Scott Auld

Administrator
Staff member
Chuck D'Aoila's Blues With Brains is great too

Apologies - I can never spell Chuck's last name right. :D

doublee

I have the Goodrich and Green books as per suggestions here, and man I gotta say they are heavy lifting and I am a reasonably capable player after 30 years at it, Goodrich requires knowledge of real tablature which I dont have, and the illustrations in Green arent printed very well after many reprints and some of them are hard to make out.

I will send both to you for a very modest fee,

juliadesusa

If you are interested in the music then you have to make some practice over it.The daily practise is required and the other thing is that the there are so many advanced materials for it.You can take the advantage from it.And get the the theory Lessons also.

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
Ok. I always seem to get lost in looking through these threads, so this question is probably going to be really annoying to most of the people who hang out in this area.

Im looking for good material, (books/dvds preferred)

My goals

My playing and chops are advanced. But my knowledge and overall understanding of things isn't that expert. But i am a quick learner! I play alot of pop rock, blues, jazz (or my sad attempt at...), country if that helps pick the right material.

Thanks
Daniel

OK for chord construction and alot of other theory check this site
http://chrisjuergensen.com/lessons.htm

scroll down to the harmony section. Its about as lucid an exposition on chord construction as you'll find.

What "shapes" are you attempting to connect up and down the neck? Sounds like a reference to the caged system. If it is, there are plenty of books and other materials to help you along that particular approach. If its penatonic shapes thats fairly simple and just invovles tedious practice/memoriztion. Sorry but sometimes there are no shortcuts.

I would add learning every note on the neck of the guitar COLD (without thinking) as a basic musical goal as well.

Playing over changes is something I'm still working on (probably for life) and I think the Blues with Brains videos are as good a starting point as your going to find assuming you are coming from a bluesy background and want to expand towards jazz. Basically he starts you with the good ol pentatonic over all of the changes. Then for certain chords he shows you how to alter one note of the scale (to an appropriate chord tone not found in the basic penta) to fit the chord and open up new tonal possibilties.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom