Stupid question on wah and volume pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sf audio, Apr 6, 2015.

1. sf audio

sf audio Member

I can't be the only one who ever thought of this...

I want to operate both a big bad wah pedal and a morley volume pedal at the same time. Seems that some sort of contraption would allow me to "attach" the pedals so both are either fully up or down as needed.

Maybe one is higher than the other, but I can deal with that and make them level on the ground.

So anyone every done this? In any way?

2. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

You will need a chair

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

how would that work?

we would hear the bright part of the wah sweep, but when you went back to the darker wah sound you'd be cut off.

4. sf audio

sf audio Member

I want to do volume swells, and the wah effect would work with that...I think it would be kinda cool..

I guess I could make something that would work....eh, just thinking about stuff late Easter...

5. Able Grip

Able Grip Member

By contraption you mean a board? A board Velrco'd to each treadle, after you have shimmed them to the same height?

6. sf audio

sf audio Member

Something like that...something that connects them so they work in tandem, after you have shimmed them.

Someone has got to have done this in some way! It's not like I came up with a new product idea....or?

7. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

To me, the wah sweep itself is enough of a swell effect, if played right. It tends to get louder as you near the toe end of the sweep, so adding a volume swell to that would be a tad much. But that's no reason to not experiment, of course :)

Mounting them as close as possible and using wide worker's boots would probably do the trick... But the problem would not only be fitting the pedals to the same height - they may also have very different sweep lengths. Using pedals from the same manufacturer, using the same type of shell (i.e. both being Morleys or Dunlops) would help.

8. joegagan

joegagan Supporting Member

Yes to work boots. Yes to falling off.

9. jrmgtrplyr

jrmgtrplyr Member

maybe you could get a volume and wah in a dunlop type housing get a short George L's cable - disconnect the side jacks and put them inside the pedal housing and make a George L cable run through the holes so the jacks are inside instead of outside - you then maybe able to put the two pedals close enough side by side that you could work them with one foot placed in the middle and it would still give you the option to work them independently. just an idea but easy enough to try and those dunlop style pedals have a lot of extra room inside to move the jacks to the inside of the pedals.

10. JPF

JPF Member

I LOLd

11. Benny

Benny Gold Supporting Member

I did this more than a decade ago. I was a sideman in a gig that needed that particular sound for a particular song. It is a cool, but subtle effect - you get a faux-doppler thing going when you emphasize the highs with increased volume (and I also raised pitch with a slide), and emphasize the lows / cut highs with decreased volume (and in my case, lowered pitch via slide).

Here's how I did it: Dunlop wah into Dunlop volume pedal, with two or three shims or tongue depressors super-glued to the tops of the pedals. It is possible, but not very comfortable, to snug up the pedals next to each other, turn your foot, and operate both at once, but if you need consistency, spend $2 on glue and shims.

This creates the ugliest, biggest, and heaviest pedal you've ever encountered. It has exactly one semi-useful sound.

If you just want to do up-from-the-bottom volume/wah swells, consider a Chicago Iron / Tycobrahe Parachute Wah. Cool wah with a wide enough sweep to pull this off.

12. ianb

ianb Member

I think I would just use an auto-wah box before the volume pedal. Much lighter, less space, easier to use.

13. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

IIRC, SRV used to duct tape two wahs together. That's all I have. or you could do the old wah boots trick.

14. bobbyatomic

bobbyatomic Member

You have a volume control on your guitar, it does the exact same thing as a volume pedal, you could try using that.