Stupid Rare: Vintage Marshall speakers that are not Celestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hogy, Dec 8, 2019.

1. hogy

hogy Member

One of my best friends and vintage gear mentor had a band in Germany in the 1960s. In 1966 they ordered an entire backline directly from Marshall. Guitar and Bass rig, 2 4x12 PA columns and 2 xx10 PA columns. All in RED, all with pinstripe grill cloth.

The guitar cab was a tall ("Hendrix" style) cab. Over the years that cab got stripped and eventually cut in half. All I ever saw in the flesh wre the red PA columns and that sawed-in-half cab, the rest was gone by the time I got to know my friend.

Anyway, these are the stock two speakers from half of that tall cab:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think they are Fanes? They are undoubtedly factory original from Marshall.

Anybody ever seen any speakers like this? They sound killer, by the way.

QRSS, v-verb, Deus56 and 3 others like this.
  2. chumbucket

chumbucket Supporting Member

Interesting. I would guess Fanes or Goodmans.

3. hogy

hogy Member

Oh, here's the only other thing left from that 1966 shipment. Cool vinyl banner:

[​IMG]

QRSS, LPMojoGL, woof* and 6 others like this.
  4. louis

louis Member

In those days they could say go over big with Marshall but today it's more like handle with care !:D

Dr Bonkers likes this.
  5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The hammerite frames could point to a premium speaker, but they're stamped steel with big diameter/small depth magnets which I don't ever remember seeing with Fanes. Goodman were mostly small, low wattage speakers. I'm sure there were other manufacturers in England besides those three, just like in America we remember Jensen, CTS, Oxford, JBL, EV, Altec and Emminence from the good old days but there were 10 times that many small speaker makers in the midwest/great lakes regions. And many of the cones for those multitudinous makers were built in our old home of Cassville, WI (population about 900, but still has a speaker cone making plant).

LordByron and chumbucket like this.
  6. Ben S.

Ben S. Member

Any possibility they could be Wharfedales or Briggs by Wharfedale. Weren't they one of the first companies tomuse ceramic magnets in the 50's?

7. Jeff West

Jeff West Member

I do recall that the '67 Marshall catalog as depicted in Doyle has a red stamping indicating that 1935 cabs would "now be fitted with Celestions and not Goodmans as stated", FWIW.

lousyatit, QRSS and HotBluePlates like this.
  8. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

How about pealing back the Marshall sticker to see if there's some kind of numbered code?

9. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

The hammertone paint and central raised rib on each of the spokes sure looks like Goodmans speakers, especially those pictured in Selmer amps at the linked site.

Elyea's book shows some Celestion speakers with similar spokes & hammertone, but the basket cutouts were rounded instead of squared-off.

More photos here.

QRSS, silver surfer and chumbucket like this.
  10. chumbucket

chumbucket Supporting Member

Bingo. Nice detective work.

HotBluePlates likes this.
  11. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

Those look like old Goodmans to me, as referenced in the Vox website.

@hogy, is there any code # on the frame or cone that you could see?
    Wow, pinstripe cabs in red, must have looked fantastic.

12. De Batz

De Batz Member

The cone looks like a few (60s) Goodmans I've seen. But I've never seen a stamped-frame Goodmans in the flesh, not from the 60s at least.

All the ones I've come across have been the monster cast frame ones along the lines of the Audiom 61s I've got now, so I certainly don't have the impression of Goodmans being a maker of small speakers!

13. Litterick

Litterick Member

14. bluejaybill

bluejaybill Supporting Member

I don't know about the speakers, but I had a pair of Celestion in a blues breaker from that era and I surely recognize those Marshall labels! I though they only used them in open back cabinets? And don't peel them off- they are rarer than the speaker I'll bet!

HotBluePlates likes this.
  15. shakti

shakti Member

As Jeff has pointed out above, these are indeed Goodmans speakers. I can't recall the model description, but they were the stock speakers in the Bass cabs (1935A and 1935B) until I think late 1967.

The Marshall cab model numbers and corresponding speakers were...
    1960A and 1960B - Lead/guitar cabs, no corner logos. Celestion G12M T1221 75Hz speakers. White voice coil former and 20w rating until mid-late 1967, then brown coil former (and eventually 25w rating) after that

1982A and 1982B - Lead/Bass cabs with "100" corner logos. Celestion G12H T1281 55Hz speakers. White voice coil former, reverse and front doping and 25W rating until mid-late 1967, then brown former and front doping only, and eventually 30W rating after that. The first "100" logo cabs seem to have arrived sometime in the fall of 1966 (Hendrix, Who). If anyone has seen earlier photos of 100 logo cabs I would like to see them.

1935A and 1935B - Bass cabs with "Bass" corner logos. Goodmans speakers until late 1967 or early 1968. Celestion G12M T1511 55Hz speakers with brown voice coil former and 25W rating after that.

The Goodmans speakers are rare. Even rarer is a Celestion T1511 with 20w rating or white voice coil former. So rare, in fact, that I'm not sure if any ever existed. The 55Hz G12M speaker seems to have been introduced after the white voice coil formers were phased out. I've never seen one with a 1967 date code.

All the B cabs were of the tall type until sometime in late 1967, not sure when. I am almost certain they all had the leather side handles, not metal handles. So it appears the B cabs were reduced to "standard" size at the same time that the metal handles were introduced. There was a batch of tall B cabs with metal handles and basketweave fronts made in 1970 for whatever reason, and apparently a few also in the checkerboard era.

16. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

I've had years ago a 1935B Pinstripe cab, metal handles, with 20w label front gasket code T1511 G12M speakers (even though the labels were stating 75Hz). I don't remember the actual date codes though, and I'm actually not sure I've ever removed the speakers to check them.
    I remember that cab was sounding very round & smooth.

Also had one of those rare '70 tall 1982B Basketweave you mention, with T1281 G12H bass cone speakers.
    Was very cool, but I actually preferred the sound of the standard size 4x12 so ended up letting it go to a local studio.

lousyatit and shakti like this.
  17. Red House

Red House Silver Supporting Member

Very nice, thanks for sharing.
    :beer

18. shakti

shakti Member

Anje,

That's interesting. Must be some of the very earliest T1511s. Although at that point, more likely to have had the brown voice coil former (presuming that these were late '67 or very early '68). I suppose the cab was a regular size cab, then?

You see Hendrix using "Bass" cabs towards the end of '67 and through '68. IIRC they were typically tall B and leather handle cabs, so very likely they had those rare Goodman speakers. Maybe he tried Noel's cabs and liked them? Or they were just putting the cabs on whatever side they fancied that particular day, who knows...

I've only had one tall B cab and that was from the 2006 reissue stack, so not comparable. But in a short while I will finally have one (maybe two!) '66-'67 tall B cabs. I have a set of T1221s and a set of T1281s, both from '66, to go into them.

19. shakti

shakti Member

BTW, I would love to try a set of those Goodmans speakers one day. Does anyone have the model # for those?