• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Stupid Strat question but I'm befuddled...

DirtLover

Silver Supporting Member
So I just re-strung my Strat, got it all tuned up, it's stable, ready to rock. Right? Wrong! The trem bar/bridge is pulled all the way down. I gor for a little trem arm action and can only pull up (which really aint my thing). What did I do wrong or not do properly? This is the first time I've changed strings on a Strat in 20+ years and don't remember it ever being an issue.
Any help? Should I check out Youtube or something for tips? I'm using standard 'light' guage strings.

Thanks!

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
More springs in the back or maybe buy new springs.

It's a balance thing. Some folks like 1/8" or so between the base plate and the body. Some like it all the way flat against the body. I basically set it up to where the plate rests against the body but so that the trem is a bit responsive. I have three guitars set up specifically for jazz and surf and they are off the body and are more responsive.

Was the guitar to your liking when tuned up before the string change or so this guitar new to you or possibly without strings when you bought it?

DirtLover

Silver Supporting Member
The guitar is practically brand new(less than a year old), bought locally, pro set-up, plays great. This is the first time I've changed the strings on it. It's never had an issue. I would think the springs would have a bit more longevity...

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
If I read your post correctly the string tension is overpowering the springs.
Are you tuned to standard pitch and was the git before re stringing?
As mentioned you need to balance the tension.
If you don't know what you're doing you might want to bring it to someone who does.

edwarddavis

Silver Supporting Member
did you use heavier strings?
you need to strectch the new strings
screw the trem screws in that will help
Put more springs on the trem if you used heavier strings

I would stretch the strings first and wait a day
Then if no change or not enough tighten the wood trem screws some
then go from there .

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
The thing is, if it was fine before and you put the same gauge strings on it should be back where it was, if you have it tuned the same.

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
If you paid for a pro setup, I'd go back to where they did the work and ask them directly.

It's really not too complicated at all but it is a learning process. But I've never seen an issue as radical as it sounds like you have. Even if you have a proper setup and you change string gauges, it's not that as big of an issue as you seem to have. Now if you went from an Eb tuning with a drop Db to a natural E tuning, that would account for some of it, but the strings would be way off the fretboard. It shouldn't have a playable action AND that much tension.

:dunno

crhfish

Gold Supporting Member
Make sure the springs are still in place on the back of the trem. If you did not take the trem plate off, take it off and check.

DirtLover

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll take a closer look when I get home tonight, maybe tighten the tension screws see if that helps. If not, I'll take it in to the shop and have them take a look at it. As for tuning, no changes, standard tuning, same tuner. Nothing different except the strings - the new ones are a different brand but I don't think they're a heavier guage - I lways go light but who knows.

PGrant

Nothing different except the strings - the new ones are a different brand but I don't think they're a heavier guage - I lways go light but who knows.

That could be it, different brands can have different tensions, even with the same gauge.

Razorface

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll take a closer look when I get home tonight, maybe tighten the tension screws see if that helps. If not, I'll take it in to the shop and have them take a look at it. As for tuning, no changes, standard tuning, same tuner. Nothing different except the strings - the new ones are a different brand but I don't think they're a heavier guage - I lways go light but who knows.
This needs to be done right, to level the bridge.

It's simple stuff man, not rocket surgery.....as, if the strings are pulling the bridge up it's no mystery! Only one thing that'll make that happen, increased tension caused by heavier strings. String gauge SHOULD have been discussed with the tech! Even if you left him to choose, he should have told you what gauge.

You have just shown why every player needs to know the basics. Even if a player wants to pay for a "pro" set-up, he needs to know some general principles for when the "tech" is not handy.

I like the title of your thread tho, lol.

sanrico

Not that much! If any. I think it's more a feel difference than actual tension from same gauges.
Exactly. One brand to the other shouldn't pull the bar down like that. I wonder if he popped a spring in the back. Identical tuning and gauge of strings should yield very similar results.

The springs are definitely not "worn out." They just need a little tightening.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom