Stupid Wah-Wah Question

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by stevel, May 7, 2016.

1. stevel

stevel Member

For those of you that use a wah regularly, do you generally use the entire travel?

Or are you likely to use a smaller portion of the sweep?

Heel to Toe
    Heel to midway
    midway to Toe
    1/4 - 3/4

????

Do you find yourself using more or less sweep with different tones, for example, a wider sweep (heel to toe) for clean but a less wide sweep (say middle to 3/4) for gain?

Steve

scr@tchy likes this.
  2. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

All of the above, its currently my only effect besides drive so I use it a lot different ways from subtle to extreme

3. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Silver Supporting Member

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    I listen for the sweet spot depending on what guitar and pups being used. Then linger near and far from that point.

4. RLD

RLD Member

I use it the conventional way but I also like to park it on a spot that gives me a nurky tone and use that.
    Also sweeping it till the note takes off is good for finding feedback.

5. musicman1

musicman1 Member

There not enough sweep in a Cry Baby for me to be that distinct with the sweep so I tend to use the full range more than anything.

A lot more sweep available in a Morley but I cant seem to get the same definition playing wah live that I can when I'm just practicing.

6. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

It depends upon the song and what I'm trying to achieve, but over the course of the night I would say that yes I absolutely use the entire sweep. Some stuff is really heavy handed - a lot of 60's era stuff fro example - you can pretty near plant your heel and tap your foot on the wah to get a quick 'wah'. Another common one is to rock it back and forth in eighth notes. Funk stuff tends to have some of the most interesting wah usage.