• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Sturgill Simpson Cuttin Grass

fataxeman

Gold Supporting Member
I wish Laurs was still around. Such a badass.

You are so right about Laur.

Although I have not been actively seeking out his work recently, he is one of my favorite guitarists of the last few years.

He is very melodic and I believe he can play about anything he wants to. I saw him on Sturgill's "Sailors" tour and had hoped that he would have been given a bit longer leash when doing the material live, but he was pretty dialed back (by design, I'm sure).

mikebat

Coming from a rocker's point of view....

Everybody seems to praise Simpson, Church and for that matter Zac Brown. It's obvious these guys have some rock in their souls...but really....are they that good at pulling it off? I really appreciate them dragging rock slightly back into the mainstream, hats off for that. But I I honestly don't think that they are impressive when they do so

Uncle Bob

Coming from a rocker's point of view....

Everybody seems to praise Simpson, Church and for that matter Zac Brown. It's obvious these guys have some rock in their souls...but really....are they that good at pulling it off? I really appreciate them dragging rock slightly back into the mainstream, hats off for that. But I I honestly don't think that they are impressive when they do so
I prefer my Sturgill country-fied, but support his desire to do what ever he wants.

fjblair

Gold Supporting Member
Aren't these just "bluegrass" versions of other songs he wrote and recorded?

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
You are so right about Laur.

Although I have not been actively seeking out his work recently, he is one of my favorite guitarists of the last few years.

He is very melodic and I believe he can play about anything he wants to. I saw him on Sturgill's "Sailors" tour and had hoped that he would have been given a bit longer leash when doing the material live, but he was pretty dialed back (by design, I'm sure).
I really wish he would release an instrumental album of tunes like the live videos @earthmud posted.

Robmo

Agreed. And I love weird stuff, it’s just that Sturgill isn’t good at it. He’s good at this. In a year of a ton of great records, this one is a standout. I really thought Sturgill was done making great records. I’m very happy to have been wrong.
He’s an artist. Sometimes I forget that. I too prefer his more traditional stuff, but an artist has to follow his heart. I don’t need to love everything an artist does. I’d much rather listen to anything he does than that pop country regurgitated weak-a$$ drivel about beer, whiskey, trucks, tractors, god etc.

fjblair

Gold Supporting Member
I kind of understand. There's at least one song with drums in it, and that alone invalidates it in some people's minds.
I really like Sturgill but most of those songs had that Pickin' On series feel to them, which is entertaining and certainly bluegrass style, but not straight up bluegrass.

dB

He's around. If you're interested in the most recent, there are many shows on YouTube. He's been playing with Kevin of Drivin N Cryin since he left Sturgill.
wonder why he left sturgill? seemed like good gig.

earthmud

Gold Supporting Member
I saw them for their opening date of the Metamodern tour in a small club here in Phoenix. They killed it. They were still hungry back them and played their asses off. Laurs was playing through a fender champ and some cheap pedals. The man is a magician. The albums with Laurs will always be my favorites.

Trending Topics