Stutter Effect

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JBarlow, Sep 28, 2006.

1. JBarlow

JBarlow Member

Because I am totally ignorant about effects, I need some help. I want to know what Prince is using in this clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXVfTPCPXZE) to create the stutter effect at about 3 minutes and at the end. I know that you can get the manual option on the Loooper deals, but this seems automated. I have no use for it, but it's freakin' cool!!!:dude

Help me! Pray tell, what is this demonry?!?:Devil

--Jason

2. Medication

Medication Member

3. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

I have a Chopper coming in today. I've been wanting to mess with one of these since they came out. Should be fun!!

4. brent

brent Member

you can do it with a cheapo boss flanger, tempo's a bit tricky to set but it sounds just like the Prince clip

5. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

More odern sounding tremolos will give this sound. I have a Boss PN2 that does an excellent dopplar/helicopter effect.

6. JBarlow

JBarlow Member

7. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

The Guyatone VT-X has a "normal" vs. "emphasis" switch, which basically makes it a hard (chopping) tremolo or a soft tremolo. The hard tremolo will do it, sounds great putting an envelope filter after it!

The Gig-FX Mega-Wah has been on my mind lately, as I'm unsure about sending my vintage Thomas Organ Crybaby and DeArmond volume pedals to someone for fixing (they both need it) if I could just spend $225 for one pedal that can run in stereo and work as a flexible wah, volume pedal and/or envelope filter (can you have too many envelope filters?)... The Chopper looks awesome, let us know how you like it!

8. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Supporting Member

I had a Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe at one point and in addition to one of the coolest vibes out there it did some insane stutter/helicopter sounding things too. Real cool pedal, but rather large and maybe a bit too tweakable.

9. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

The TC G-Major has a chopper effect pre-set that I use quit often....It really is a cool sounding effect.