Sub recs

BadAssBill

Gold Supporting Member
I'm not a sub aficianado or anything but I've had a Velodyn for many years and it does everything very well. Movies, Jazz, uprght bass...it's all there.

fataxeman

Gold Supporting Member
I have a Velodyne DD-15 that I got from a friend in a trade where I (for a change) felt I got the better end of the deal. It does movies very well and sounds great on regular 2-channel real stee-REE-oh.

I think it had a microphone for setup (can't remember), but it has a remote control and a video output, so I go to a certain input on my TV and I can bring up all the adjustments on the big screen. Pretty slick deal.

I'd like to pick up another one because, for a while now, I've wanted to experiment with the dual subwoofer setup. However, they are still quite pricey (were about $4500 new I think) and shipping would be crazy at slightly over 100 pounds.

A friend of mine (same friend as above) has a pair off DD-15s with some old-school JBLs (don't remember the model), but it's a pretty awesome combination.

Tony Foran

I had a pair of KEF KC62s , that were excellent. But too pricey and I didn't like where they were assembled.

jmelm

Gold Supporting Member
Get a used REL (such as the S3, which I see one on Audiogon for $950 and you could probably negotiate that down or free shipping) or used Martin Logan “ “Descent i” or “Depth i”. I have seen those latter two Logans in and around that price range. There are various REL models and better to get a higher end used one than entry level new one.

New or used, the Gallo TR-3D is a great price/performance option. I have a few friends who have these in their systems and they perform really well.

sfguitarworks

I have a Paradigm 12 in my shop, and a Velodyne 10 in the house, both ported. The velodyne doesn't cut out enough mid, even at its lowest crossover point and sounds woofy. The paradigm will absolutely blow out the windows, but it's loose. I'm going with a sealed sub next time. Probably not bigger than a 10". I have B&W 703's in the shop and they do pretty well on the bass. B&W P4's in the house, and they def need a sub.

Jeff Scott

I've been very happy with the Definitive Technology SuperCube II I bought in the late '00s. It fills in the missing bottom octave of my Magneplanar MG-1c speakers perfectly.

Mr Boggie

Thanks too all! I have a quote now for both the v12 paradigm possibly underpowered but for music is likely fine. I also have a quote for the svs pb2000 pro. The svs is double the price but double the power.
In Canadian $ the v12 is 750 tax in and the svs is 1300. Neither will be appreciated like my guitar gear like me.

Funky54

I’m surprised with the Rel recommendations… I hate their products personally. Their two channel solutions sound boxy, overly focused and very very home theater driven over true two channel. The worst sound staging I’ve ever heard.. the height no matter what the MANUFACTURER did in way of placement made the vocals sound like the signer was 3’ tall. I’ve never heard any pair of their floor standing or Book shelf speakers sound even decent when it came to two channel stereo.

If your after a musical presentation I like sealed over baffled. SVS, James Audio and Triad are my go to.

Docgab1

Gold Supporting Member
Another rec for REL. I have had Velodyne, Vandersteen, Soliloquy and a few others. I ended up going with REL. I am not a fan of their newer products. I've used several older Strata 3, Stentors etc. All seamlessly blend into my system. No need for a crossover in the signal path.

Currently using a Storm 3 sue to size issues. One of the best sounding subs I have had in my system.

The rest of my system: ungraded Rega P5, Audio Note M2 phono with vintage glass, Wavelength Duetto with Carbon plate Sophia Princess 300b, all Audioquest cables. Speakers are Reference 3a Royal Master Controls.

VarLogMessages

Gold Supporting Member
Just got a new SVS Micro 3000 and it sounds great.

Cheapo KEF Q150 primary speakers.

This sub makes them sound so much better than they did with the prior Klipsch RW12d (HOT GARBAGE!) I was using.

I have not yet gone through any of the adjustments to the sub other than level.

amigo30

Rythmik subs are highly regarded. They have at least one in your price range and a very popular model at $1029, delivered. Research them.
SVS subs are also popular and worth a look.
I personally use a pair of JL Audio e110 subs. They're great, but pricier.
Whichever brand you end up with, be aware that proper integration into a 2 channel system is a long, slow process, but worth it!
Good luck.

The e110 mentioned above is a few hundred bucks above the mentioned budget, but if the extra funds are there, it's well worth it. I had the E112 (1 model up) for several years in my personal system.

fataxeman

Gold Supporting Member
Another rec for REL. I have had Velodyne, Vandersteen, Soliloquy and a few others. I ended up going with REL. I am not a fan of their newer products. I've used several older Strata 3, Stentors etc. All seamlessly blend into my system. No need for a crossover in the signal path.

Currently using a Storm 3 sue to size issues. One of the best sounding subs I have had in my system.

The rest of my system: ungraded Rega P5, Audio Note M2 phono with vintage glass, Wavelength Duetto with Carbon plate Sophia Princess 300b, all Audioquest cables. Speakers are Reference 3a Royal Master Controls.
I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind. What Velodyne model was it and did you have one or two? I have the DD-15 and wish I could experiment with two of them. A friend has 2 and it sounds great.

And as far as the Vandersteens go. Did you have the 2WQ (best for music) or the V2W (best for home theater) and did you have one or two? Not sure if the V2W was the correct name back in the day (20 years ago), but am certain that the 2WQ was the model in that same time period.

A friend had a pair of 2WQs and it was my favorite bass of any hi-fi system that I've ever heard.

Thanks

john weires

Rythmik subs are highly regarded. They have at least one in your price range and a very popular model at $1029, delivered. Research them.
SVS subs are also popular and worth a look.
I personally use a pair of JL Audio e110 subs. They're great, but pricier.
Whichever brand you end up with, be aware that proper integration into a 2 channel system is a long, slow process, but worth it!
Good luck.
The JL Audio E110 is very good.

the only other recco I might add re:subs & forgive me it if it's been mentioned above :
2 subs better than one - cost regardless meaning 2xinsert-your-number-here(500)dollar subwoofers sound better(not by a little bit)than single $1k sub
in your room after tuning levels/eq
best of luck

Docgab1

Gold Supporting Member
It has been a while. If I remember correctly the Velodyne was a ULD-15. It had a large external servo controller. I only ran one as it was rather large. Lot of depth but not as musical as I wanted.

The Vandersteen was a 2W, I only ran one. Musical but not a lot of depth as I recall.

The REL Stentor II or III (I don't remember exactly), was amazing but the size of a small coffee table.

I ran 2 REL Strata III a while back, sounded great. My current Storm III is better than the 2 Stratas. Nice depth without being boomy. It is sensitive to room placement. Currently I have it in an outside corner. I had to move it around a bit to find its sweet spot.

Hope this helps.

fataxeman

Gold Supporting Member
It has been a while. If I remember correctly the Velodyne was a ULD-15. It had a large external servo controller. I only ran one as it was rather large. Lot of depth but not as musical as I wanted.

The Vandersteen was a 2W, I only ran one. Musical but not a lot of depth as I recall.

The REL Stentor II or III (I don't remember exactly), was amazing but the size of a small coffee table.

I ran 2 REL Strata III a while back, sounded great. My current Storm III is better than the 2 Stratas. Nice depth without being boomy. It is sensitive to room placement. Currently I have it in an outside corner. I had to move it around a bit to find its sweet spot.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info Docgab1!

Gregg Froman

I love my REL212SE sub.
Incredibly musical and really brought my MBL speakers to a higher level of realism.
Handles music or movies without a sweat!

51076731757_439148b045_k.jpg

Docgab1

Gold Supporting Member
Very impressing system.

I have never had the chance to own a pair of MBL speakers. The technology is very impressive.

Jeff Roland Design Group amplifiers?

Gregg Froman

Very impressing system.

I have never had the chance to own a pair of MBL speakers. The technology is very impressive.

Jeff Roland Design Group amplifiers?
Thanks!
Yes - Jeff Rowland 925 mono amps w/power supplies.
Great sound and incredible build quality.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom