Subaru extends powertrain warranty to cover excessive oil consumption.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by leftybill, Apr 5, 2016.

1. leftybill

leftybill Supporting Member

I received a letter from Subaru of America Inc. today stating that various models made between 2011 to 2015 are now warrantied for up to 100,000 miles or 8 years. Evidently, this is the outcome of a class action lawsuit settlement due to a design defect which causes these vehicles to consume excessive amounts of engine oil.
    My car (an 11 Forester) did have an oil consumption issue. Fortunately, I paid attention to it, and would top off the oil periodicially. I did not think too much of this since my previous car (a Honda Accord) also required oil additons. Last year, after posting something on a Subaru forum, someone advised me that it was not normal. I took the car to a dealer, and they said that it had a leak in the left and right cam seals. The dealer repaired the car, which was covered under warranty, even though I had more than 36,000 miles. They did provide me with a loaner as well.
    Now with my car at the 5 year mark, I have been thinking of trading it in. I am thinking that maybe I should hold on to the car with this extended warranty.
    I do like the car, and it meets my needs for the most part. There are some features on the new models that I like, but I do not know if it would worth the cost?
    Anyone else receive this letter?

2. swlees

swlees Member

My wife has a '10 Forester and it gulps oil too. I wonder why that year was not covered. It had the cam seals replaced and it still uses excessive amounts of oil. Like you, I pay attention to it and add about 1/2 quart every 2-3 weeks. It is up to about 130k now. Since it uses so much oil, it only gets the Walmart house brand oil. You'd think with modern CNC manufacturing, this sort of problem would be a thing of the past!

3. leftybill

A 2010 model was the last year of that engine design. It sounds like you take good care of that car. I bet a lot of folks never look under the hood until there is a problem.

4. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

Ditched my 2007 Impreza in November when it needed a head gasket repair. And had a leaky gas tank. $5k. No thanks.

5. ntmo

ntmo Supporting Member

I have had no issues to date with my 2014 Impreza. I don't know if the 2.0 engine is involved. I'll ask my son. He is a Subaru technician (mechanic).

6. Kappy

Kappy Member

I had a 2010 STI for 3 years that I bought new. After breaking in it, I gradually modded it to stage 2.5 (which those cars are practically built for). I didn't beat on it, but I'm not exactly a light driver either. It developed transmission problems about 2.5 years in. The dealership, Rafferty Subaru in Newtown Sq. PA, was particularly churlish in denying any repairs citing the exhaust I'd put on (Perrin, not cheap stuff). First I thought it was the clutch, so I replaced that on my dime b/c the dealership denied the repair citing the exhaust (for a clutch issue). When the clutch job didn't help the slippage, I knew the dealer would play the same game, so I bailed and got my first M3. I'd probably never look back, except I live in the city and don't drive anymore.

7. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    That's a good thing. It seems like the Japanese cars have kind of gotten sloppy with their quality control. My brother has two newer subies, so this might be a good thing if they take care of the problem.

8. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

I am not a fan of Subaru.

9. SupremeDalek

SupremeDalek Member

There was a big change for the Forester in 2011. They redesigned the motor to no longer have a timing belt, and they switched to a synthetic oil (0w-20). The oil feed channels are very, very, very small and will present some significant issues if oil changes are not done at 5000 miles.

The consumption you speak of is not normal whatsoever. It's a good thing you were paying attention. Try to do your oil changes with a little more frequency, say 4000-4500, and make sure the right stuff is used if you take it somewhere to have it done.

leftybill likes this.
  10. SupremeDalek

SupremeDalek Member

That dealership sucks something bad. I don't think I've ever heard a positive review of that place.

Simple slippage can often be the fault of low/old fluid. If there was a fluid change done at some point with the incorrect weight gear oil, it would cause a trans shudder or slippage.

Kappy likes this.
  11. leftybill

My wife drives a 14 Imprenza too. No oil consumption issue what so ever.
    I was thinking of trading it in, but now with the extended warranty, it may be worth holding on to.
    The dealer, Glanzmann has been excellent to deal with.

12. FFTT

FFTT Member

My daughter's Forester has really turned out to be a Money Pit.

Just last week another $600.00 to get it through safety inspection.

13. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Perhaps ... but no moreso than, e.g., BMW.

My friend has owned his own highly-rated independent mostly-German make repair shop for 30 years. He no longer recommends BMWs to his customers due to the corner-cutting and QC slippage he's seen over the past 15 yrs. Friends of mine own an '01 Audi A4 and an '01 BMW 3 Series, both since new. The Audi feels like a nearly new car now, the BMW feels harsh and worn-out (and has since it was just a few yrs old).

My own '09 Outback has had a number of repairs done under extended factory service contract, more than I would expect (starter, radiator, stabilizer bar, etc.) but at 68k miles (nearly 7 yrs), so far no oil consumption or sign of head gasket issues. Newer Outbacks (4 cyl.) have some oil issues related most likely to going to thinner oil and trying to tighten things up to meet emissions and fuel economy goals.

Subaru is an economy car still, basically. I really miss my '01 Audi A6 Avant but talk about a money pit... the Outback has, so far, been more reliable even with the repairs I wouldn't expect at under 70k miles. When it gets close to timing belt replacement time in another 2 yrs or 30k miles I'll decide whether to do that & keep it another couple of years or swap.

It'll likely be another Outback or --- maybe --- something like a low mileage/CPO Audi Q5 (to get the 7 yr/100k factory warranty), though I think they may be too small. That would be the triumph of hope over experience. I still don't trust Audi (or any German manufacturer) for long-term reliability without major $$$$$ repairs based on my experience with numerous German cars. Love driving them, hate owning them, as I have for 40 years.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  14. vltjd

vltjd Supporting Member

Have owned two Subarus over the past 11 years, none from the years with the posted difficulties with oil consumption. Driven over 260,000 miles. Only did routine maintenance. Plus, no respectable thief typically steals one. BMW? Not what it was, but that seems to be true of most things.

15. rockinrobby

rockinrobby Senior member Professional musician ... Gold Supporting Member

My Wife just bought a new 2016 Crosstrek and she's got the 70K seven year bumper to bumper warrantee … She's got 40 mile on it still no problems !! Lol!! ;)

mid-city tim likes this.
  16. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

My first Subaru was a used 2012 Impreza, low mileage, perfect condition. Within a month, needed a quart of oil. Then another. Not good. I did my research, realized what was going on. Probably had been traded in by someone who kept it quiet, didn't care to jump through all the hoops and aggravation needed to get a dealer/Subaru to deal with it. And I got stuck. No red flags on CarFax. Went back to the dealer and said I'm not accepting it. Take it back. I know what's going on, do not have the time to deal with this and should not have to.

Luckily for me, the dealer was stand up. Ended up dealing with the General Manager, who did completely right by me, and deserves much credit. They tried to get Subaru to cover it. No luck. At that time Subaru's position was you had to go through a series of oil consumption tests, basically prove to them over time that there is a problem. The only fix that actually worked was replacing the bottom end of the engine. I was not about to go through that. The GM got no help from them, took it back from me anyway, full credit. He urged me to take a new 2015 Impreza at dealer cost and I did, ended up with a much better deal and a new car.

No problems so far. I hope there never are, as this is an excellent vehicle.
    MD

17. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

My first Subie, a 2004 Forester, was decent enough for the first 80k and then it started to develop trans issues and the all-too-common head gasket leak. Plus, a rock hit the windshield and that just added to the potential repair bill, so we traded it in for a 2012 Legacy which is a superior car in every way! We're just about to hit 40k miles and I have no complaints at all. More than likely when it's time to upgrade, it'll be another Subaru.

18. tanee

tanee Member

I had a '14 outback premium model. I had to put a quart in that thing once every 2 months or so. I thought it was odd.. I've sold it since then.

19. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I had a Subaru Loyale wagon all through the 90s through 2005. In the late 90s I had it in the shop and one of the mechanics piped up with, "yeah, them Subarus are leaky sumbitches. They'll run forever but they'll leak oil all the way."