Subdecay Black Star distortion-anyone tried it yet?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Garygtr, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

http://www.subdecay.com/bs.htm

Anyone tried one of these yet? I really liked the Liquid Sunshine, just wished it had a bit more gain, so this looks interesting. :cool:

2. b_rad

b_rad Member

It's a sweet little box. If you like the LS, but want more gain you can't go wrong. :)

3. RickB

RickB Member

Mine should be waiting for me at home today after work. I have been looking forward to this one. I'll come back with a report later once I get to check it out.

4. Garygtr

Great! What time should I come by with my axe and amp? heh heh :D

5. Filter428

Filter428 Member

Any other opinions of the Black Star od? I'm thinking about getting one.

6. carltonh

carltonh Member

Since the Blackstar has two drive knobs, how clean can it get if both are set low? I've already got a Tube Zone, so I probably don't need one of these, though I could always rationalize that the Tube Zone does pre-Pantera metal and the Blackstar does post Pantera metal...(even though I don't play much of either!)

7. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I have a BlackStar on my smaller pedalboard. I bought it so I could push a little harder on the Reverend Kingsnake combo I bought at the time. It gets a nice aggressive crunch with lots of bottom end to it, and you don't have to dime the gain knobs to achieve it either. I run my gain knobs at just a hair above 9:00 for both, and I get just the right breakup without the fizzy top end and out of control gain that comes from more conventional distortion boxes. It plays nice with a wah and a phaser in front of it too.

8. Phil M

Phil M Member

Cool rundown, cvansickle. Do you think the Blackstar would work OK with an amp that was overdriving a little?

9. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

I had one for a while...it's a great pedal and I regret selling it. If you like the Liquid Sunshine, you'll like the Blackstar. The liquid sunshine is one of the coolest light od pedals I've ever tried, but it doesn't really have the sustain for some heavier solos...the Blackstar is kind of like a REALLY high gain Liquid Sunshine. I'd recommend it highly.
    The subdecay stuff is some of the most unique and original pedals I've tried...they're really cool.

10. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

Oh, and Gary...I think I've read your posts before and you have a Tophat, right? I think the LS & Blackstar work GREAT w/Tophats...I used mine with a Club Deluxe...I remember reading that the builder of Tophats recommends Mosfet circuits for tophats and I think the Blackstar is a Mosfet design and the Liquid Sunshine uses JFETs....both sound great.

11. Phil M

Phil M Member

Very interesting comment, thank you (if it's true). I have had a hard time with certain ODs that sound great into my other amps, but suck with my Tophat. I recently got a home made JFET box by forum member coreybox and it sounds great into everything, including the Club Royale.

12. Garygtr

Yes, a Club Royale. I think Brian did say that about Mosfet pedals awhile back, don't know if he's changed his opinion over the years. I had great results with the Liquid Sunshine, I sure would like to grab another one of those someday. On the other hand, I didn't care for the Blackstone with the CR. I have found that transistor-based circuits such as the Throbak ODB and Gaspedal Carb work great with the CR if you're running it a little dirty. I'm currently using an Eternity that Sean tweaked a little bit for me to be a bit less congested in the mids, along with the Carb for extra boost, with excellent results. I think the key with the Club series preamp is not to add a lot of mids and compression, especially if you're running the amp dirty, it's easy to quickly turn things into mush. A pedal like the Tim that has a flatter EQ works great too. The Eternity I have now is a great match, previously I bought/sold 2 Eternitys and finally came home to this one with a slightly modified circuit. It still gets that rich grind that the E is famous for, but it really is a bit more "open" sounding with my rig. I use the Eternity as my base dirty sound, and run the Carb into it for increased gain, volume and bottom. I also have a Demeter Fuzzulator (great fuzz!) on board and a Luxury Drive for clean boost. If I was really cranking the amp, I could get by with just the Carb as a boost, but I typically set it "on the verge" and use the Eternity as my OD.

13. iggs

iggs Member

I really like my BlackStar ... used it for all out high-gain for a while but it can do much more then just full out assault. Right now I have it so the lower drive knob is all the way down and upper drive knob is about 1 o'clock, for me that's medium-high gain but it's very crunchy and has that immediate attack of a cranked cascaded gain tube (pre) amp, it feels very similar to my VHT 50CL. I run it into my B├╝mbox Lead50 set clean-ish.

14. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

That's how I use mine. The Kingsnake has a nice overdrive breakup of its own, but the BlackStar just gives it that extra push over the cliff for more aggressive leads and chords.