Subdecay Blackstar.......sweet*

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mooncusser, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hey all,

Man I just picked up a Subdecay Blackstar.
    It is listed as a distortion, but to me sounds like an amp like distortion/ fuzz hybrid.
    I haven't really heard anything like it.
    Picked it up to goose my FR CC2 as Dave Fox suggested and it creates a wild feedback effect (controllable as heck) in this combo.

On it's own, it sounds to me like cross between a Crunchbox and an old Vox Superfuzz for lack of a better description.

Anyone else use this pedal, wanna share some thoughts?

Thaanks and take care,
    Mooncusser

2. hudpucker

hudpucker Supporting Member

I returned mine for that very reason.

It certainly was a quality product though (not dissing it at all).

YMMV.

3. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hudpucker... I could see that as being confusing.
    It's not to my ears a metal pedal, but with a name like Blackstar Distortion....well, ya know
    :NUTS
    On the Subdecay site, it explains that this pedal is like a Liquid Sunshine but it takes off where the LS ends, with much more gain using mosfets and jfets.

Really unique and quality pedal though! I haven't had alot of time to play around with it yet, but from what I heard, I cant wait to put it through more applications.

Take care~

4. carltonh

carltonh Member

It is diode free, but I wanted even more bite on the attack, and so I might have preferred if it had a switch to add some diode clipping to get more of a John Petrucci tone. It was oh so close, but the struggle made me switch to a Metal Muff for that sound. But you could even use it for a great Jimmy Page like Tonebender sound too, but I already had pedals to get that sound.

5. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Man, you are right...oh so close. Nail on the head concerning the Page tone, to.
    It kind of reminds me of a dimed Laney..............