1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Subdecay Echo box opinions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cosmogang, May 16, 2011.

1. Cosmogang

Cosmogang Member

I've always thought it sounded amazing in the demos.
    Metalcore929 (Loobs) makes it sound AMAZING on YouToobz.
    I've heard people call it sterile or cold, but the demos sound sweet.
    I've owned/played just about every boutique delay except this one.
    It just seems to lurk in the background. A darkhorse in the world of ambient delay?

Please chime in if you've had experience with the Echo Box.

2. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

3. wck

wck Member

Tried it a few times and its great. Compared it to the flashback and I preferred it for the modulated analog delay (The mod on the flashback is great but its too perfect for me haha). Controllable modulation is a huge plus for me too.

4. mrmjp

mrmjp Member

one of my favorites by far

5. Cosmogang

Cosmogang Member

I had the flashback, I really only liked it for pristine sounds, the analog type settings were very cheesy to me, but the crisp digital stuff was neat.

Basically I want to give something else a chance before I buy another Skrecho.
    I thought the echo box looked to be the next closest thing. (I've already had an El Cap)

6. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Have you tried a Montavillian? It's a similar sort of sound based on the clips.

7. triviani

triviani Silver Supporting Member

I wonder if it's a pedal that would get hyped if were $300..

8. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Since the modulation is analog, it is very warm and organic. I just found the repeats themselves not very convincing as analog. But, I've felt that way about any "Analog-Voiced" delays; the Subdecay is certainly in the same league as the Disaster Transport and Montevillian sound-wise.

Not that it matters tone-wise, but I hate the current Subdecay graphics (on all of the pedals right now). The older, cream-colred echoboxes with the regular black type were way nicer-looking.

9. wck

wck Member

Yeah, I agree. The flashback does clear digital delay sounds well but its not even close to the echobox for analog emulation and of course in a different league as true analog delays.

But because its not as dirty as analog delays I find that it can cut thru the mix more easily than lets say a MXR CC. Haven't tried a Skrecho but it sounds quite different from the echobox, the Skrecho's repeats sounds more blended and dark to me. Only thing about the echobox is the graphics, they're kinda boring haha.

10. triviani

triviani Silver Supporting Member

Absolutely.

11. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

The only thing I did not like was how loose the dials were. They were very touchy as well. Not enough wiggle room.

12. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Member

That's interesting to hear that about the Flashback. By any chance have you played the Echo Park? I have one, and had been wondering if the Flashback could get "dirtier" than the EP, but from the sound of your and Cosmogang's descriptions it seems unlikely.

13. wck

wck Member

Yeah I had an echopark years ago.. The sound was great but the build quality made me sell it haha. Not sure which can get more dirty but I'd guess the echopark.
    I only remember it being great in tape and analog mode, really liked the wow and flutter/ chorus. In a way better than the dd-20 I traded for it but the dd-20 had presets, better build and features that the echopark didn't.

14. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

That doesn't mean their views are shared by other people. If you are looking for more on the subject, there must be already at least 150 pages on the Flashback already in previous threads... Yes, it can get dirtier, and yes, it can do analog very well, or just even better than the way it does it now, as it is basically an open platform of sounds that can be improved with different Toneprint versions, future firmware upgrades and the possible release of the Toneprint editor to the public. These are advantages over the Echo Park that will always have the same sounds without the option of improvement or extra tweakability...

...but this is actually a Subdecay Echobox thread. I believe it hasn't received the recognition it deserves. I love it, but not as much as more advanced tape emulation pedals such as the Skreddy.

15. Cosmogang

Cosmogang Member

So, I was just looking at more Echo Box videos and saw the new Octasynth.

Pretty cool.

Thanks for the opinions guys.

16. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

Since I've quoted you in my sig, I feel I'm obligated to respond. :)

I had an Echobox for about 6 months. It's a very solid delay all around, and I say that as a guy who's owned quite a few delays. The repeats are quite nice sounding, and they break up somewhat like you'd get with a BBD. The modulation, in my opinion, is best when set quite subtle, but it sounds nice. Being able to choose between buffered and true bypass is also cool.

But as a guy who designs/builds pedals myself, what blows me away most is just how well designed the Echo Box is. It's typically difficult to get more than about 500ms out of a PT2399 delay chip without the sound going to hell. That chip is pretty lo-fi as far as digital goes, and it's only spec'd to put out about 350ms, so going beyond that starts to sound trashy unless you add a lot of filtering. The Echo Box manages to squeeze almost a full second of delay out of that janky little chip, and it does it without the nasty artifacts that you normally get when pushing the delay time. The circuitry required to make this happen is pretty damn impressive, to say the least.

Also, given the trend of boutique pedals to get more and more expensive, the price (especially used) is surprisingly low. In my opinion, Subdecay is a "real" boutique brand, because the guy behind it actually understands electronics...and has an ear for good tone. There's no substitute for either.

So yeah, I'd say you ought to give one a try and see if it works for you. :aok

17. CrispyTone

CrispyTone Member

How is the preamp in the Subdecay EchoBox? Does it add anything to the signal (bite, color)? How does the buffer effect the sound? Is it similar to the Malekko 616's buffer?

18. Cosmogang

Cosmogang Member

Dude, thanks for the awesome response. I appreciate your input!

19. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

I love my Echobox. It may not be tap temp but the quality of the delays and the modulation is just awesome. Personally I think it sounds a lot better than the carbon copy and flashback. Picked up one from one of the owners of tonefactor awhile back. Great overlooked delay.

20. cmnyc

cmnyc Member

Just picked up a used Echobox and am liking it very much. Had the Flashback and sent it back - nothing wrong with it, but it did not blow me away. The Echobox, with its modulation feature, adds a very nice and musical ambiance to what you are playing. The tone is, subjectively speaking of course, warm and lush. . . If you can pick one up used it is a great pedal for the money - and not a bad deal new, either!

I am really loving it with my Eventide Space.