Subdecay Echo Box v2 vs Skreddy Echo (re: self-oscillation)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KoolThing, May 3, 2016.

1. KoolThing

KoolThing Supporting Member

I've got a Skreddy Echo that I really love. Besides typically, lightly-modulated analog/tape delay stuff, I really get a lot of mileage out of it by setting it on the bring of self-oscillation, where repeats fade into a washy backdrop that I set low in the mix. My question: can a Subdecay Echo Box also get me there, or is this really a special talent of the Skreddy? To be clear, I'm not that interested in "runaway, raygun" oscillation (in the marketing parlance) but rather a wash underneath my playing that seems to go on forever. If I can get it in a smaller enclosure and with trails (i.e., the version 2 Subdecay), I want to investigate further. Thanks for your help!

2. KoolThing

Just an additional piece of info: I got rid of several DMMs because their oscillation sounds were too brutal/runaway. But I do love the DMM sound (I've had probably 6 of them in various iterations).

3. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

AD999 can do this. El Capistan as well. Unfortunately none are smaller than your Skreddy. A lot of people claim the Ibanez DE-7 can do it as well. Love this sound and am curious to hear what other answers come out!

Sociophile likes this.
  4. triviani

triviani Silver Supporting Member

For something a bit different I'd try a Dispatch Master. It masters the background wash thing, specially if you have another delay in line.

5. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

in the earlier echobox models you can adjust the trim pot to set the limit of oscillation.

@ 4:49 i have the trails engaged and turn off the delay so you can hear how long the oscillations can last when set accordingly.

6. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

here's my attempt with the de-7

and the dmm

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  7. KoolThing

8. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

btw, i've never played a skrecho. it's on my short list.

9. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Silver Supporting Member

The DE-7 really is great for this, as is the El Cap.

10. KoolThing

Can someone tag Brian Marshall? I'd like to hear more about the capabilities of v.2.

11. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

I have had both the Skreddy and the EB (not V2 though) and prefer the Echobox. Modulation is more lush, and repeats sound about the same; not that weird tall-box footprint, and the switchable trails is great. Plus can be had way cheaper.

ThinPaperWings and Sociophile like this.
  12. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Silver Supporting Member

I also have both and agree with all of this. For oscillation, however, my Ibanez DE-7 beats both.

13. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

What would you like to know?? :)
    On the original echobox I think the oscillation or near infinite repeats was really it's weakest attribute. longer repeats would head toward the high end and eventually end up all sounding like a high pitch ringing. In self oscillation it would get super loud an distorted, but not in a nice way like you'd expect with an analog delay. This was something I really wanted to improve on with V2.

Anyway, we are putting together another demo this week. I'll make sure some of these sounds are on there. Probably won't be finished until Monday though. :)

14. KoolThing

Hey, Brian! Thanks for chiming in. I (and I think I'm not alone here) would really appreciate if the demo covered this territory. Could you also let us know if the trimpot controlling the oscillation limit remains in the v2?

The other thing I'd like to know (off topic) is when you'll be doing a v2 of the Quasar DLX with an added envelope option. :D

15. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

the skrecho has a limiter to curb the volume increase that typically occurs with feedback runaway.

16. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

There is no trimpot in the v2. The regen knob is near infinite repeats when turned to 3:00. Turn up all the way for oscillation.

On the Quasar DLX, I'm not sure when/if we will do another DLX phaser... although I'll admit over the last few months a lot of people have been asking me about it. We should have a smaller phaser out some time this year.

17. KoolThing

18. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

Our solder pot went kaput late last week, so video editing took a back seat while we work that out. Shouldn't be long.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    your name here likes this.
  19. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

Finished editing the video this morning. Fast forward to 6:41 for high regeneration and some knob turning.

20. KoolThing

Good stuff--thanks for including this in the demo!